Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  08:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Through some stroke of sort of good luck, a large section of the old lawn around out house just isn't coming back this year. We'd like to replace it with a low water option, and I've heard of a couple of good ones - buffalo grass and grama grass. Do any of you have these "alternative" lawns, and if so, how do they work for you and how do you take care of them?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  09:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Libbie,

Check out "highcountrygardens.com". They have some really great ideas for alternative lawns. I can't remember any at the moment, but I've been wishing I hadn't put the lawn in. Watering is a pain (no sprinkler system) and I don't like using all that extra water just to have a green yard. Doesn't seem right.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

almostidaho
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tami
Richmond Utah
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  11:12:29 AM  Show Profile

Both of those are EXCELLENT choices for Utah!

Both are warm season grasses, so they won't start growing until temps are reliably in the 70s. Both also grow easily from seed so don't bother with those expensive plugs. Blue Grama is a bunchgrass and thus makes a terrific 'meadow lawn' interplanted with flowers. Buffalograss spreads via seed and stolon, so it fills in to a thick, rich turfgrass. Also for this reason, make sure you put it where you want it because it can spread into flowerbeds easily. One further note about buffalograss: it will only be successful in places which get a minimum of six full hours of sun a day.

High Country Gardens has good seed stock, but it's premium priced. In Utah, call Granite Seed (Lehi) or Wheatland Seed (Tremonton) for more competitive prices. I've ordered from Stock Seed in Nebraska and been very happy with their service and products. They have a good website too.

USU Extension is a great source for info - check out their web resources or your local extension office. If you don't find what you're looking for, Paul Johnson at USU not only is doing terrific research into good varieties for Utah, he has a GORGEOUS buffalograss frontyard in Logan. And, if you ever make it up that far, USU's Greenville Farm (at about 800 E & 1500 N in Logan) has lots of experimental turfgrass plots you can visit to see what appeals to you. They schedule regular 'Farm Days' when you can get guided tours through the plots.

I experimented with both of these species, as well as other stuff, so write to me directly if you need more detailed help in getting started.

Tami
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Low water lawns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page