shellybien0319
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  9:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls,
As I formulating my dream to have a "farmette", I want to learn and re-learn anything and everything possible. Does anyone know of a good (and colorful<--color pics help me a lot) "how-to" book for organic farming/gardening? I haven't the slightest clue on how to grow things anymore. I hope it's like riding a bicycle...it never leaves you.
Thanks!!!!
Michelle

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  08:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Michelle! I really like the books by Eliot Coleman - the New Organic Grower and Four Season Harvest - you might want to check these out from the library to see if they're in the vein of what you're looking for. They do have some pictures, but not a lot. I also like Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening as a reference book, but not necessarily as a "how-to" book. This list will be fun to see! I have so much to learn still...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Merryday
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Kansas
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle!
I have found myself in a similar boat and know that I am a much better "hands on" learner and sometimes just don't have the attention span for a book. So instead, I have started volunteering at a local non-profit that seeks to renew urban agriculture. They are also a CSA. I am learning a lot and remembering how fun it is to get your hands in the earth again. Good luck!

"As you travel through life, remember your goal, keep your eye on the doughnut, and not on the hole" - something my Pop used to say
Go to Top of Page

almostidaho
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tami
Richmond Utah
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  10:46:49 AM  Show Profile

Eliot Coleman's terrific for practical advice. For pics and prose to feed your soul, however, get The Undaunted Garden by Lauren Springer, especially since you're in NM. She also writes a regular column and articles in Horticulture magazine for Rocky Mountain and dryland gardeners. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

shellybien0319
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  7:53:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks SOOOO much girls! Yeah, I can't wait to get my hands (and knees) dirty. I'll the ideas a shot and let you know what comes of them.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic How-To books? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page