Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Flies! Next Topic  

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  07:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Every year we have flies that like to hang out underneath our covered patio. I initially thought that it was because of the stagnant air but I tried and fan and that just moved them. Of course I don't want to use any harsh chemicals because of my plants, garden and dogs (not to mention us!). Any suggestions. Since we had such a mild winter they are back worse than ever!

PS-our back yard is beyond belief clean, we do have a Koi pond-not sure if that makes a difference.

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  12:07:05 PM  Show Profile
I have not tried this myself but this came from a book "Vinegar-1001 Practical Household Uses". The suggestion below may get rid of the ones already there but I don't know a deterrent.

Make a trap for flies by filling an old jar about halfway with apple cider vinegar. Punch a few holes in the lid, screw the lid back on and the flies will crawl through the holes. [This might help with gnats and mosquitoes, also.]

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  2:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Pam,

No suggestions but I believe they are wanting the shade. Out here in the desert, the horses will stand out in the direct sun a lot of the time because all the flies are under the shelter in the shade!! One of my girlfriends pointed that out to me and I have noticed it seems to be true!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:37:58 PM  Show Profile
I tried the vinegar trap thing, but I was told to add a small squirt of dish soap. It worked wonders for our gnat problem.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  10:05:36 AM  Show Profile
I used a big glass jar, put some water in the bottom, and dropped in a little piece of meat (ugh). Then you make a funnel out of a sheet of paper and tape it to the top of the jar, with the funnel going down inside it. You don't want the hole at the end of the funnel to be much more than 1/4" or so. The flies crawl into the funnel and into the jar, but can't figure out how to get out. It has worked really, really well.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  10:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I want to try the vinegar jar idea! :)
We put the sticky fly paper in the chicken coop and on our patio because I can't stand flies. They work really well, although as of now, we really don't have a problem with flies.
Chicken coop owners use Diatomaceous Earth in the coops, and I know people use it in the yard too, to help with flies and fleas. I know it can be a bit expensive, but it lasts for a while.
I have heard that it is completely safe, although it can be an irritant if breathed in so you should use a mask when spreading it around.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Flies! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page