vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  3:52:43 PM  Show Profile
I have been using a scubbie that fits on a wand that you put the dish soap in. But you have to throw the scubbie head away when it wears. Not very eco-friendly or economical. You get bread dough on it and it is done. Plus no way to sanitize it. So what do you girls use to do dishes?

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  5:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I use knitted dishcloths. They can be thrown in the wash and dry well between washes. I use cotton for most but I also have hemp for real scrubbing.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  5:21:23 PM  Show Profile
My dishwasher! I love it. But the dishes I can't put in there I just use cotton wash clothes. And a green scrubbie thing for hard to get off stuff. I use 7th Generation unscented liquid. Also use baking soda on my stainless steel pots. I do not own a sponge. They scare me. Oh, I also have the crocheted dish clothes that I dearly love. They are very good at getting sticky stuff off.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  7:46:52 PM  Show Profile
I use the crocheted dish cloths and the dishwasher. What can you do if you have stainless knives and forks that have turned dark? I made my own dishwasher stuff and it left a film on my dishes and glasses and turned my utensils dark. I have since learned from here that if you add lemon lime kool aid to the other ingredients that won't happen so I am trying that but, still have the problem I created with the first batch...
delicia
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  06:57:18 AM  Show Profile
I use Farmhouse dish soap from Lehmans & baking soda & lemon rinds for scrubbing, & a scrubbie sponge from the dollar store, which I put in the microwave & dishwasher both to sanitize. Jane, if your wand is all plastic, try sticking it in he microwave for about 20 seconds, it will sanitize it
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:22:41 PM  Show Profile
i would have to say i am so wasteful in the kitchen. friends and relatives cannot believe the rags and towels i go through.lol many years in restaurant will do it to you. anything that goes below the waist stays there. we always scraped crumbs off counters onto the floor. we cleaned floor every night. rags were used for 1 task and tossed in the dirty pile. i wash all scrubbies and sponges and towels in washing machine in hot hot water and then vinegar rinse. dry in dryer. i can go through 5 or 6 or maybe 7 towels a day. i do not use a rag or towel from yesterday for today.i am probably ocd in the kitchen. it is a good thing. i use my kitchen for oh so many tasks. each requiring its own new rag. so thats my story and i am sticking to it. lol sherry

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  8:56:58 PM  Show Profile
I wash with crocheted cotton dishcloths and Planet dish soap. For scrubbing I use a small piece of Luffa which seems to resist odors naturally, and cleans without scratching. For cleaning up sticky stuff (like bread dough) I have a 100 % recycled plastic scrub brush I found at Wal-Mart that rinses clean when I'm done, and never gets stinky. 1st thing every morning I put out a new dishcloth, a hand towel (colored) and a dishtowel. (white flour sack towel) That way the kids know to use the colored one on their hands, and the cleaner one for dishes only!! The old rags go into an enamelware dishpan in my laundry room with our cloth napkins, and every few days I wash them all in hot water with my homemade soap and a vinegar rinse. I no longer have stinky dishcloths form doing it this way. Hope that helps!

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  06:06:16 AM  Show Profile
Delicia, Tanna, and Shari, do you use a special yarn to knit or crochet the dishcloths. I like that idea and my knitting skills are just advanced enough to make a square. I would imagine the cotton yarn would need to be strong to hold up to all the washing.
Thanks
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  06:14:55 AM  Show Profile
If I want them really for scrubbing I use hemp. The hemp you would use to make jewelry. For the rest I use the Lion Brand Cotton yarn. The lion brand website has a few free patterns for dishcloths if you need them.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  07:05:56 AM  Show Profile
My daughter gave me a couple hand knitted dish clothes. I love them. I switched back to Ivory dish detergent. I have a dishwasher, but only use it when I have friends over. I enjoy handwashing. I don't want my friends to feel like they need to help. The kitchen is MY domain.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile
I knit my own dish rags and I use scotch bright scouring pads to scrub pans with. I like Mrs. Myers dish soap and The Planet dish soap. Both work really well.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  07:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I crochet mine from 100% cotton I get at Hobby Lobby or Wal-mart.

If you microwave your sponges for 30 seconds, you kill anything in them. So I keep one with the green scrubby side around for baked on stuff.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm with MrsRooster. I use Aunt Lydia's crochet cotton or similar. I rinse my dishcloths really well and then nuke 'em after dinner dishes for 30 seconds. I nuke 'em even if I'm planning to toss 'em in the wash so nothing really nasty is growing in them in the laundry chute. The steam it produces makes it a breeze to wipe out the microwave, too. But' be forewarned they come out REALLY steamy hot!! Use tongs or a fork or something to get 'em out of the microwave.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  2:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh thank you Tanna for the Hemp suggestion. I knit or crochet my dishclothes with the cotton and I also have crocheted those little scrubbies that Mary Jan shows in one of her books. Will add hemp clothes to my kitchen supply. Bet they work great!
N@n in Michigan!

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  8:53:44 PM  Show Profile
For darkened stainless steel, Delicia, you might want to try Bar Keeper's Friend.
As well as hemp, there is nylon thread (thin cording really) that makes a great knitted or crocheted scrubby. Nylon mesh or net fabric cut into strips works as a "yarn" as well, but it is hard on the hands while working it up. Still, makes great scrubbies that dry fast! I agree with you Kristen in that I hate natural sponge for dish cleaning, it holds the moisture too long.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What do you wash dishes with Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page