Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Natural Flea Treatment for pets?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Natural Flea Treatment for pets? Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  5:15:57 PM  Show Profile
I am new to the Forum.I discovered Mary Jane's farm last summer while waiting for my husband to get tractor parts at Tractor Supply Co..... my life has not been the same since!
I have three cats and a dog whom I adore, and the cats are indoor/outdoor cats. I am unhappy about the chemicals I have been having to use on them to prevent and treat fleas.... and in our home as well..... Frontline, carpet powders, sprays, things for the yard,etc. I am really sick of using them, but can't live with the fleas, either! Any ideas on natural flea control? See my post about this on my blog: happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com Thanks!

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:28:59 AM  Show Profile
Try dusting them with diatomaceous earth (DE). You can google it for more information. Just try not to breathe it in too much. It is all natural, these little tiny skeletons that have sharp edges that will slice through the bodies of tiny pests like fleas or worms. If you get the food-grade quality, it is safe for humans to drink as a cleanser, too.

I never give my dogs chemical flea control. I clean the kennel, dry it out, and throw down DE and scrub it in with a broom. It improves the smell of the kennel and I don't notice my dogs having fleas at all. Works against worms, too!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  8:03:20 PM  Show Profile
Michelle:
Have you tried this DE? It sounds good. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  03:37:37 AM  Show Profile
If you use DE, don't forget to wear something over your nose and mouth

I use those lighted sticky plates that can be slid underneath a raised platform bed or placed near places inside where pets hand out most. The light attracts fleas and they stick to the pad really well!

The pad is covered w/ a grid so fleas fall in and pets can't get stuck
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I use a mixture of, tea tree oil, lavender oil, and water. Seems to work good so far.
maggie
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile
We feed our dogs brewer's yeast tablets with garlic and that helps keep the fleas away. Do a google search on that to find out the dosage for the size dog (or cat) you have.

I've also heard that using Avon's Skin So Soft to bathe the dogs will keep the fleas off of them. Heck, I can't stand the smell of that stuff, I can see why fleas wouldn't like it either! LOL!

Sue
Farmgirl #656

"This is the day that God made, let us drink juice and enjoy it!" - Reece Stutts, age 3
Go to Top of Page

mspence
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Misty
Warrensburg MO
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  07:29:37 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that the herb Pennyroyal works well. Be careful not to use the essitenal oil on cats though (it could make them sick). Actually, I wouldnt recommend using the oil at all (it can be a skin irritant). And just a quick note, if there is anyone pregnant in the home, be careful using this stuff around them. I have also heard that citrus oil works well and those flea combs work good, I use them on my cats. Just some ideas.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  8:35:05 PM  Show Profile
I put lemon oil on a bandana around my dogs neck. The flea's hate it! Do not put straight lemon oil on your dog, it can be toxic. If you want to put it directly on your dog it must be diluted.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  08:02:23 AM  Show Profile
Actually although pennyroyal will work it should not be used at all except by a professional aromatherapist. It is a neurotoxic. Very good of you mspence to give cautions about this essential oil. If you want to use essential oils you really need to stick with lemongrass, lemon, tea tree and eucalyptus. Essential oils really should be kept away from cats though they can be very quick to have a bad reaction. Dogs don't seem to have a problem with essential oils. I use alot of essential oils and have cats but I do try to keep the cats away from direct contact with the oils. I have used DE and as long as the infestation is not bad it will work well. Living in south Texas the flea capital of the world we have to be very aggressive with fleas. I have also heard that Dawn dish soap will work well and since it is what the environmentalists use to clean the animals involved in oil spills I guess it is ok for me.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

missmuffcake
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

kendy
modesto ca
45 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  11:19:46 PM  Show Profile
You can make a 'lemon tea' - lemon juice boiled with equal parts water. Apply it all over your companion animals and it will kill fleas instantly.

------------------
http://www.missmuffcake.com/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  02:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Will try the lemon tea. That sounds easy and safe! Thanks! Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  07:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I've also heard that clove oil-be very careful with it-can ward off fleas. Maybe lemon balm?
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Can't use essential oils on cats. Their little livers can't process out the oils. It gathers and becomes toxic. Dogs and people can process but cats can't. The abrasive oils are especially dangerous [menthol, peppermint, and so on] direct application burns their skin and inhalation [another form of absorption] burns their little passages.
http://www.thelavendercat.com/3501.html
Click the top two articles on the left panel.
Just a thought...
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Natural Flea Treatment for pets? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page