Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need your opinions, feels like I'm right, but....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need your opinions, feels like I'm right, but.... Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:17:17 AM  Show Profile
My husband is always raving about my baking skills, specifically my pies, to anyone who will listen--which is very flattering On Monday, he asked me to make my Sweet Potato pie for a work gathering--I was happy to oblige.

It's an old family recipe (from my great-grandmother's nanny), from Louisiana. The recipe is a simple one, as the old ones often are, but it has a little "extra" something added, from the woman who originated it, "Thomasina". She was Haitian, or Dominican, I'm not sure, but she was a freed slave and the "special touch" she put in there tells me "about where" she came from before she was brought to this country. A clue to her heritage. And, so, to me, this "recipe" is MORE than a recipe. It's a direct connection to my heritage, to my history and to women I've never known, except through making this pie. I KNOW them when I'm mixing it, rolling the crust and hand grating the spices.

So, the Chef at the restaurant loved the pie (with an exception--a butter crust instead of lard/crisco) and wanted my recipe. Hounded me for the recipe to serve at the restaurant--friendly needling. But I said, "no..."--not in an unfriendly way--just, "no". Because, in my head, the only person who will get this recipe is our daughter, Violet. It's part of her inheritance, so to speak. To carry on this wonderful tradition the women of my family have entrusted to me.

Last night, when my husband went to work, the Chef was still hounding him for the recipe--to the point where (he, the Chef) sortof mocked me and said, "Noone HOLDS onto recipes anymore--they're not sacred, they're just ingredients." And I'm thinking, "if you're a Chef, trained at the Culinary Institute of America, why don't you get your own darn recipe for Sweet Potato pie if it's not a big deal....why does he want mine so badly?"

I tried to tell my husband that giving him the recipe was like giving him my godmother's diamonds. This guy wouldn't call it "Thomasina's Sweet Potato Pie"....he would just call it Sweet Potato pie and give it some sort of half-hearted description on the menu.

Am I being stupid? I mean, it's not like I get anything out of my pie being on his menu. And when he leaves, he takes Thomasina's pie wherever he goes and it becomes just "pie".

Girls, I can count on you for an honest opinion...Have you ever given a guarded family recipe out? Am I just being a simpleton? My husband seems to understand, but I know he's thinking it would be great to have this pie showcased somewhere. I'm no glory-hound--I like the joy that comes from making it for a gathering and sharing the love of this pie.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Stick to your guns I am with you if he is so great make your own.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:28:45 AM  Show Profile
DO NOT give it to him. First, it is yours to keep. Second, he wants it so he can profit from it, with no investment of his own...he wants you to give him something for free that he will use to make money for himself. He is trying to bamboozle you. As a chef, he knows that recipes ARE in fact held on to. Otherwise, wouldn't he would post his recipes on the menu so people could make his food at home?

I will never give out most of my family recipes, because my mom has made a living on her homecooking, and I know if I am ever hard-up for money, I can sell a few of her pies here and there.

Special recipes have a deep emotional connection to a family. They are our traditions, they set us apart, and they are a little piece of something special that you get to hold on to. This guy is just frustrated that he can't con a money-making pie out of "clueless home cook." Don't let him get to you!

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
i have to say, i agree. and your explanation was so charming. i hope you will print it out and include it with the recipe when you give it to violet.
i could be wrong, but it seems i have heard of folks "selling" recipes that they have developed in their businesses. how would you feel if one day the recipe you gave him, he sold to a chain restaurant. i think it is your recipe and you can do what you want with it. i'm witha ya.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
www.localharvest.org/farms/M24434
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:48:46 AM  Show Profile
Keep it, it is part of your heritage. He can get his own recipe, he is a chef isn't he? Pass it to your daughter and tell her to guard it and keep it also.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:50:08 AM  Show Profile
My step-brother owns a restaraunt and he is always "hounding" me for my Great-Grandmas red velvet cake recipe. (no relation to him) I will not give it to him because as stated before, he is making a profit on something he is not investing in. My step brother and I are very close, but this is a special family recipeto me. So we have compromised, Once a month I make him 2 cakes to serve. He pays me for the cake and then charges his customers by the slice. It works for him, because it is something he can advertise as "special" but not a staple to his menu.
I agree to NOT give the recipe.

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:56:23 AM  Show Profile
I love your explanation but, think of how many people will not get to savor the pie or even if the chef is not respectful would the patrons be and enjoy the history. I just loved your story and got a lot out of that. I understand about people making money and our heritage but, if we do not share our heritage and stories will it ever matter to anyone? I love history and learn so much from others and want to continue to learn. I am not sure how I feel and hope that this is not out of line with what you are thinking.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  07:57:36 AM  Show Profile
Jonni... You are right! It is yours!

I have a pumpkin pie recipe that is sacred!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  08:14:48 AM  Show Profile
Jonni if you give him that recipe he can use it or sell it because it is not protected. I want you to stop and think about say - Mrs. Field's Cookies, someone is making a fortune off those, and Paul Newman and his salad dressings etc. Recipes are a commodity and he is trying to take you. People sell recipe books for goodness sake and people make a fortune off them. If he is a trained chef he should be able to make his own Sweet Potato Pie.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  08:29:19 AM  Show Profile
I say follow your heart. I wouldn't give it away

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  08:36:46 AM  Show Profile
I agree, do not give him the recipe. Some recipes are so guarded commercially that the recipe is only give to two people-two halves of the recipe. So no one ever knows the full recipe. With my husbands business we know hundreds of chefs in our area. My husband is not a chef but a member of the local chef chapter and we attend meettings and dinners with them. In our area I can say that our chefs have become very LAZY!(not all, but a lot) They make the same old things and when I ask for a vegetable dish they have no idea what to make - and I end up with pasta. Four years education, apprectiships, 20 + years in the business, and thousands of available vegetables out there and they come up with pasta. So my point is that this chef would LOVE to have a free, no work involved recipe to wow his customers without having to come up with one idea of his own. If he had any pride in what he did he would respect your decision and head into the kitchen to try to come up with something of his own.
Jane
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  08:42:25 AM  Show Profile
I definately would NOT give it away either...if he keeps hounding you, that's harrassment!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  08:57:29 AM  Show Profile
HA !
Give him SOME recipe, just not yours, & when it doesn't come out the same, you can say.."Well, I don't know what happened..it always tastes great when "I" make it"
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  09:33:51 AM  Show Profile
Please don't give him the recipe. He just wants to make money off it. Tell him to come up with his own recipe.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  09:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Don't give it away. If he's such a great chef... he should be able to come up with a great recipe on his own. And I think Lisa's idea is great..... =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  09:41:08 AM  Show Profile
LOL Lisa! Love it!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  10:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Poor chef - too busy to experiment in the kitchen! Don't give it to him, but make a friendly challenge to come up with something as good. Remind him of the thrill of creating a recipe, which he seems to have forgotten. And people absolutely DO hold on to old family recipes, still. Be proud of his interest, but don't give in.

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  10:31:51 AM  Show Profile
Hang on to it. It is your family heritage. Don't give it up! You are so lucky to have that piece of your family history.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm on your side too, jonni. I have a couple treasured recipes from my Danish grandmother that I keep in the family...As for him mocking you, what a jerk!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  11:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I like Lisa's idea. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  11:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, girls, thank you so much for confirming what my gut (and my heart) tells me. I'm really not overly concerned about his motives because, well, I wasn't very much leaning towards giving it to him to begin with. It IS really important to me to have something like this to leave to Violet. I remember my Great Grandmother, Theodocia, standing in her housedress in that long, galley kitchen with all the white porcelain enamelware sink and pans, making a Sugar Cream Pie (that I've never been able to find a recipe for because she didn't write it down) and I'd like for Violet to have "sensory" memories, too--I am descended from wonderful cooks (and hopefully, she will be one, too!). And Lisa, what a hoot!

Karin...yeah, that sort of "fixed" it for me, too. He can make fun, trivialize me and my feelings all he wants to...it just keeps him further from the pie recipe :)

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  11:58:25 AM  Show Profile
I say if he is a Culinary Chef, let him figure it out. All that education should be worth something. I would put a price so high on it that he couldn't afford it too!! It's yours to do with as you see fit.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

missmuffcake
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

kendy
modesto ca
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  12:01:51 PM  Show Profile
I have a little vegan baking business here and I have worked to develop my recipes over the years. I often take my stuff to potlucks and I have had people ask me for the recipe, I tell them "no, this is my dream, my love"...People often do not get it, are to 'cheap' to buy my stuff and will stack plates full of my stuff at the potlucks and give me the evil eye. Since I do not have a store front at the moment (working on that) people think that my recipes are not a big deal...When you go to your fave place to eat - do they bring the recipes for your dish with the check? Nope!!!

I think in the future you can maybe do a home business with your pies, sharing the love but keeping the vital info close at heart!

------------------
http://www.missmuffcake.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  12:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Kendy, that's (one of) my dreams, actually...a pie kitchen. All kinds of pies, savory, too, like the ones I ate living in Cornwall, England. So, ultimately, there is a goal for these recipes and family keepsakes...Wish you lived nearby, I'm a huge supporter of small businesses, especially ones run by gals of the baking inclination :)

Like you, I really love to share my food and the love that goes into with people. Maybe just not my recipe ;)

Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  12:18:39 PM  Show Profile

I wouldnt give the recipe away. No should mean No. I'm sure if the tables were turned the chef would have told you no if it was something special. So don't worry!

Heather

P.S. Lisa your idea is a winner!

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful story Jonni! I agree with the gals of course- it is your recipe and you should keep it. It is like a family heirloom.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need your opinions, feels like I'm right, but.... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page