Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Need your opinions, feels like I'm right, but....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need your opinions, feels like I'm right, but.... Next Topic
Page: of 2

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  5:09:49 PM  Show Profile
NOPE don't give it to him! Stand firm. This is YOUR history!

And, what a treasure to hand down to your daughter...

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  7:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Shame on that chef guy. What a jerk! Keep the recipe to yourself. Lisa is completely brilliant(but we knew that)! I think you should do what she said. That way, the guy get off Justin's back and the whole thing is over.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  7:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Tuck the recipe in the back of the drawer and put a padlock on it. In other words- don't give it to him. ;)

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  8:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, that's hilarious! I wouldn't give it away either, let him come up with his own. It's not like he's a close friend who just wants to share it with his family,he'll be making it for profit with no heart behind it.

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  03:39:43 AM  Show Profile
Something with that much history ought to be passed along in the family.

That's really a special thing. With all kinds of recipes on the internet, I'm sure this culinary guru can find something out there.

And if it were me and he wanted it THAT badly, I'd say it comes with a price, and YOU can't afford it!

I understand you wanting to pass it along to Violet, but I believe you have piqued our curiosity too!

Hang onto it sista and don't let this guy back you down!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  05:47:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the vote of confidence, girls. I didn't even mention it last night to my husband--in fact, in my mind, it's a non-issue anymore. I'll make the pie for people I love and care for--I'll make the pie for gatherings of friends and strangers alike, and maybe one day, I'll make it for a little cash in my pocket, but it's my "herstory" (history) and I'm keeping it as such. As you have all said, and my first thought was, "surely he can come up with something comparable on his own."

I'm not giving Thomasina's pie recipe to just any ole' body!

I have my Nanny's Gold Medal Flour oak recipe box from the 30's, and I'm slowly adding hand written recipe cards for Violet so that one, day, it can be a graduation or shower gift to her, for when she starts her life away from home (sniff).

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Just added my 2 cents - keep your recipe - he has no business hounding you and certainly not your husband for it. I agree with Lisa, if you give him a recipe, give him a simple one out of a book. If he is a good baker, he could play with his own recipe until he got close it your taste.

For what it is worth - Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  08:10:37 AM  Show Profile
well heres my idea. sounds like you are in food service or close to folks that are. i would only give the recipe to violet. i would be sure a copy is where she can find it. poop happens.. sorry girls,, if your gone does the recipe go too? my dad is gone and so is his recipe for jerky. its very sad.
Now may i add.. if you are ever in need of money you could easily have an income from sweet potato pie. we had a gal here that made scones in her home. she sold only to the pine tavern restaurant. she supported her kids that way. you can get your kitchen licensed and do it at home. the girls are right. the recipe is good it could be income for violet when she is older. she could make them and sell. you know how clever farm girls are. cook the pies.. make a profit selling to him... smile all the way to the bank ( well kitchen) just my thought. i love my moms recipes from southern influence. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  3:30:23 PM  Show Profile
You could offer to sell it to him for some outrageous price like Mrs. Fields LOL
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  03:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Jonni you stick with it. It's your family recipe and he can just find him another one.Without the secret ingred. I know what you mean, I have a knitting pattern that was handed down and was asked to keep it in the family. I've made it for several people but not the pattern. This will be past on to my grand-daughter who is ten and showing real interest in knitting. Maybe as a special treat, you could give him one to serve. Than let him experiment on his on secret ingred.

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  03:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Thought of you last night as I was picking blackberries. I bet you could really put a hurtin' on some berries!

Pity we don't live closer, as I love to pick for you in exchange for a pie.

And alas, my kitchen is still ripped up, so it's killing me to not be able to bake on my days off
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  2:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,

Keep your recipe sacred! I totally understand. I have a cookie recipe of my grandmother's that she brought from Greece with her. It too has a "secret' ingredient. I make them at Christmas (they aren't easy) and make them as gifts for family and firends. I was hounded by someone and finally caved with the recipe. She promptly changed the recipe and made them for some of my friends. Besides, the chef sounds kind of snooty with his "no one holds recipes sacred"...proove him wrong!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  08:22:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm agreeing with the ladies here. I'm surprised a pro chef can't figure out most of it by taste-I'm sure he could get close to what you make just by seeing what his taste buds are telling him about flavoring. But-you wouldn't get a dime out of it & your daughters future pie would be common in your area. Have you thought about baking the pies & selling them to him to serve in his establishment? Then he could have the pie without the work. If you do,be sure your name is on the pie & not his.

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  09:05:27 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - totally agree with you on keeping the recipe for Violet - and that is the coolest thing that you have the recipe box and are already thinking to collect recipes for it! The best wedding present we got was an oak recipe box that my dad made filled with family recipes - my parents insisted on sending out the invitations for our wedding for me, turns out they sent a request to everyone to send in recipes for a gift. I have recipes written in 2 of my great-grandma's handwriting and others - that is something to cherish!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile
I would not give him a cherished family recipe, no way, he sounds like a jerk to me, trying to bully you into giving him the recipe by say "no body hangs onto them anymore". Don't give in!
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  6:58:02 PM  Show Profile
DONT give anyone the recipie... BUT I might make a few extra dollars by offering to make and sell him pies which he could in turn sell by the slice in his resturant.

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  7:26:52 PM  Show Profile
I agree....dont give in

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  7:48:21 PM  Show Profile
You are wonderful to want to keep the recipe. Some things need to be honored and you are doing this with your recipe.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need your opinions, feels like I'm right, but.... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page