Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:40:50 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee for your excel sheet.
Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  1:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You are very welcome! I hope the instructions were clear!

I posted my monthly budget on my main blog- www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

I am excited to see how we all do! I am expecting to be "Stupid Debt" free by the end of July. That's a total of $2000 plus fees that we will have paid off by the end of July!! WHAHOO! :D THe fees are pretty steep- running as much as $200 a month x(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  1:56:04 PM  Show Profile
We're close...we live on $1800.00, but we're a family of 3 (unless you count 4 large dogs and 2 cats). We don't have car payments and I only budget for groceries on a weekly basis. We do have credit card debt which I'm paying off as much as I can. We also have medical bills b/c we have a high deductible plan, so that takes most of our income right now (which bites!). Our house payment is half what most folks are paying though, so I feel lucky there.

After medical bills and credit card bills are paid, we might seriously be able to accommodate this $1200 figure and put some by for savings!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  3:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I dream of a savings account too! Isn't it crazy how simple things like that suddenly become SO important~

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  3:57:36 PM  Show Profile
We're doing the 'Dave Ramsey' thing; been doing that for a year. Now that I sold my car (woohoo!), the monthly bills are WAAAAY down, but I can't do 1200/mo. My house payment is 950 to 1350/mo depending on how many weeks are in the month! BUT, today being June 1, I thought about you, Elizabeth, as I made some purchases @ the grocery. My grocery bills have been way too high lately...I have fallen off the frugal food wagon. So, tonight, we ate what was handy...gonna try and eat up what we have here. I'm taking the challenge, too! My personal challenge is to, once again, get groceries under 300/mo, which should be very 'doable' since the garden is going nuts out there. :0)

Plus, this is the first month w/o paying for my car/insurance. Yay! I'm in!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  4:39:19 PM  Show Profile
June 1st and right on track! I washed two loads of clothes in cold water and hung them to dry in the Florida sunshine. Just had to rush to get them in since it's thundering outside. Our summertime evening showers are pretty routine.

I can't wait until the end of the month to see how much I can slash my power bill.

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else”
- J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  5:33:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad that so many of you are wanting to follow along! If anything, this will make us all more aware of where every cent is going. Today I paid the mortgage and hubby mailed a CD at the P.O. which was $1.73 so we are down to $737.27 for the rest of the month. There are a lot of good sale items at the grocery store this week so I hope to be able to get a week's worth of meals for about $55 to $60.
-Elizabeth
www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  7:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- you are so lucky that your Mortgage is so reasonable! :D Sounds like you have a very doable goal for the month! I am rooting for you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile
ELzabeth- hope the week continues to make good progress. I found a basket full of signifcantly reduced produce at one of the local grocery stores and felt like I was nearly stealing as I walked out with not one,not two, but THREE bags of citrus fruit for $2.50. I promptly brought them home and made a 1/2 gallon pitcher of freshly squeezed juice...yummy!!! Great start to a great day.
I have loved following you blog.I always wondered why I never really felt like a"soccer mom" until I saw the term "granola mom" on the blogsite. I feel like I have been identified at last ! ;)
Have a geat day,Elizabeth, and be encouraged on the journey !!!!

Your fellow Iowa Farmsister,
Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference." - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Good deal on the citrus fruit, Rochelle! Don't you just love a great deal like that?!
I noticed earlier that you asked if I thought there was enough ladies in the area to have a farmgirl get together? I would love that...but the other farmgirl who was in my area has been MIA for the last year or so ont he board and hasn't answered any of my e-mails either. I think there is another from around Cedar Rapids. Maybe you could do a shoutout to see how many Eastern Iowa ladies there are?

For those taking this challenge along with me, add your progress on my blog today. It's challenge check in day to see how everyone is doing!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  5:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Great idea, Elizabeth! We finally started a cash only system in May and are eliminating as Alee calls it 'stupid debt'. I found a really great excell sheet that is like the envelope system http://www.mdmproofing.com/iym/products/envelope-check-register/ So now I know not just how much I have left in the checking account, but also to what cattegory that money belongs. And it is so much easier to see when money budgeted for a certain area is all gone.

I initially set this up with an average amount in each cattegory based on previous spending. Now I am hoping to adjust down each cattegory as far as possible so more can go towards the medical bills and debt.
Here is to living below your means!!

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  08:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, we are a little over halfway through the challenge and haven't run out of money yet! We still have $235.63 left for the month so I think we may be able to make it!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  08:50:20 AM  Show Profile
I too have been trying to eat out of the garden & freezer. Except for apples I haven't been to the store in 2 weeks. Boy that feels good!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  11:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We're still doing good on our plan. We are staying pretty close to the budget- had a few suprise expenses, but everything has been able to be covered by the budget so far.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  11:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I live on less than 1,200.00 a month right now. Partly due to the economy, partly my decision. I have found that when I have less money-I am more creative and happier. I appreciate things a lot more. I don't have children-I have three dogs and a husband. I also only have one credit card bill to pay besides my utilities. Budgeting is the biggest thing. Also, I live in a city where there are a ton of free things to do-which helps with getting me out of the house. I need to curb my going out to dinner and buying on a whim.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thanks for this post Elizabeth, I posted on your blog too. I am single and it is just me and my dog but I feel a need to watch my pennies too. This will help me keep an eye on things. I have been thinking a lot about it and this is just the little kick in the butt...I needed.

A person will be just about as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abe Lincoln Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile
This is a great thread to follow. What I also think is great is that people are realizing that $1200 a month simply isn't possible for some people here (living in different areas, different financial situations, etc.) but no one in being judgemental, and everyone is learning. When I first saw this thread when it first started, I thought I won't bother because there's no way we can do 1200 a month, our rent and gas for the month is 1200 since my husband started commuting to work. But I guess the point is to figure out what you CAN do and stick with that.

We put $750 in the savings account this month, and that was an AMAZING feeling!! Not that we have ever been big into spending, but I think the thing that has really worked for us is planning out our meals so you don't get to 4 pm with no supper plan and end up running to the store (makes me so angry everytime that happened!!) We have been doing the menu plan for a month faithfully now and its been great.

Another thing we have been doing is keeping three envelopes on the wall: one for gasoline, one for food, and the other for misc expenses. Whenever we spend money, a receipt goes in the appropriate envelope on the wall. At the end of the month, we add up what we spent (although we also have a running total going too) and we know exactly what money went where. It is always so amazing to look back over the month and see where your money went, and then to use that knowledge to cut corners.

I firmly believe that one of the best things that has helped us is to plan plan plan what is going on as far as our money is concerned and have those goals that you are passionate about. For us, its being able to move to a REAL farm in the next couple years with as big of a down payment as we can come up with!!

I look forward to following this thread and seeing what everyone else is doing too!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  12:04:15 PM  Show Profile
I just like following along and seeing where other people cut on their spending and look st my budget and see if I can do that too. it is just me and my hubby but we have 9 dogs and livestock that has to be feed, so we spend there. I was just happy when we cut out spending on things like paper towel and re use things instead of stuff to throw away. so I am having fun just reading all of these. Keep up the good work girls.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  12:17:30 PM  Show Profile
elizabeth,
I just figured my finaces out for the month and we are already at only spending about $1,200 a month. I don't know how you are doing it with a family of five. who hoo for you!!! I was wondering if you have internet service and cable at your house. we stopped cable over a year ago. If we want to watch tv we do so online where it is free. so we do have an internet bill. so I guess it isn't really free.. but we are not paying both. But I have to give it to you that is really good for a family. we don't have any 2 legged kids at home anymore. hehehehehehe Good for you!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  1:01:25 PM  Show Profile
We do have internet access at home...our phone and internet bill is combined and it is $51 a month. We do not have cable so that saves us a bunch!
Kpaints...thanks for your comment on my blog. Actually, we do go through a bunch of yogurt each week. About how much is a yogurt maker? I have been thinking about purchasing one but need a push to do so!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Finding short cuts is fun. We have a camper and planned several trips this summer. We own our business but the summer is our "poor" month as we store boats for the Marina's in the winter. So all winter I pre-paid for camping and we put all our dollar bills and change in a jar. Now I'm pulling out the change we have collected to cover gas for the road trips. This is the best summer yet even in the worst of times. Last year we stayed home because of no money to do anything. This winter I was ready to plan for the summer. I have loved reading the posts. We have been eating out of our freezer for June also. It's almost empty, now I can clean it and get ready for more sales. I also to "once a month" cooking it helps keep the food bill down.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, what internet carrier do you have? ours is twice that much. I would love to cut ours in half!!!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, you can do it!! THinks beans & rice, rice & beans. I'm not sure how old your kiddos are, but maybe you could have a contest to see who could create the cheapest meal. Or have each kid do a cheap meal for the week. Pop popcorn the old fashioned way. Make homemade popsicles with plastic spoons as the stick.(good old fashioned KoolAid will do in a pinch!)
Make mud pies in real cookware(got that one from miss wilma!)
Make homemade bubbles with dishwashing liquid & wire in different shapes, or challenge kids to come up with free fun crafts.
I am emphasizing HOME cause once you step out...well we all know what happens.
Unless there is a free concert in the park! & be sure to take your own snacks!
You can do it!
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:32:28 PM  Show Profile
I also use my local library. Movies,games,books. Even my MaryJanes Farm books come from our local library. If I see anything I really like I just make a photo copy of the page.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  4:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah Pamela! Libraries are great! We also cut down on our garbage by having pick up once a month. The recycle is through the city so that's "free" every week or we compost. About twice a year I get all my friends together and we have a naked lady party. I always get great clothes and shoes.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page