Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  5:35:23 PM  Show Profile
oh I agree the library is great!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Our internet is through our local telephone company, which is Iowa Telecom. It is DSL so fairly fast. Maybe you can find a similar deal with your local telephone service?

The library...we love the library! We get almost all our movies there, check out piles of books each month, and the kids are involved in their summer reading program and go to several of the activities. Can't beat free! :)

THe two oldest kids start Vacation Bible School tomorrow. It isn't at our church as they aren't holding on this year, but it is a church right down the street. It will be three hours a day each day this week and I am looking forward to having three hours of relative peace and quiet (though 2 year old Joe will still be home) and I think that they will enjoy it. It is free as well. Got to love summer activities!
-Elizabeth
www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  6:01:19 PM  Show Profile
yea we only have one phone carrier and that is what we have ours through. we kinda live in the sticks so we don't have many choices. they kinda have it all sewed up around here.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  06:18:08 AM  Show Profile
I also wanted to add something about entertainment/movies. I bought my husband a year of Netflix (the one movie @ a time one) for Valentine's Day. It was about 110 dollars, I think. We have wireless internet here @ the house (I have a wireless router w/ DSL service) and now with his laptop he got for Father's day, he can watch as many movies as he wants, and it doesn't affect the 'one DVD out at-a-time' thing! So....basically for 9 bucks a month, we can watch whatever we choose, when we choose! It is SO cool. They also make a receiver for about 70 bucks that, as long as you have wireless, will transmit movies from your computer to the TV. (or, if you have a Wii or PS3, it will already do that!) I think that would be a great Christmas present! We are turning off our satellite since everything on TV just about is JUNK, and I don't want the kids watching that mess.

Satellite service = $44/mo
Netflix = $9/mo

Hmmmmm. Just a thought for those who are sick of the crummy programs on TV and tired of paying for cable/satellite. :0D

P.S. I got the laptop at a local business for 270 dollars. It is a refurbished HP and is GREAT. I thought I would mention that since this thread is about saving $. Don't forget the 'little guys' out there!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  07:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Also you can buy a cable that connects you laptop to your TV if you have a TV that was produced within the last 5 years. The cable costs about $20 and then you need a sound cable (looks like the end of a headphone cord but the metal plug in is on both ends) for another $10. Then you can just hook up your laptop to the TV and watch Netflix from there. That's what we do. Also if you have an old computer that still connects but doesn't have a monitor or something all you need is for the computer to be able to access Internet Explorer and have a somewhat decent connection to the internet for it to play the movies.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  07:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, my ADD is kicking in and I can't read all the posts but I have learned a quite few ways to live very cheaply when not on our big rig. Even on our big rig, I have cut lots of corners to save money.

Matter of fact, I'm getting a bit addicted to saving money and hubby sort of stepped in to slow me down. I was getting a little too militaristic about not spending money. So, I finally broke down and bought some more clothes. Our company said to dress a little better (not so worn looking) because it looks like they aren't paying us very well!! No kidding! So, I did give in there, must have a job!

I've suspended our Direct till Sept but we're out of the time limit and so am going to turn it off. There is Hulu on the puter and I watch most of my fave shows there anyway. I get the internet for free at one truckstop chain when I use their points card (which is what paid for the net I'm using right now!!) or free interent at rest areas or some truckstops that use it to lure us truckers in.

I went down on our phone bill and only call out in the evenings or wknds when it's free. Someone calling in doesn't use any of our minutes.

I loff our local library and check out a lot of books. Also, now you can download from anywhere some of their audio books too. How cool is that??

When we get set in the 5th wheel and land, we are going to be off the grid too. I have lived no-tech before and really, to tell the truth, I loved it. Except for my ex-husband being there, it was one of the best times of my life! So, my current hubby and I are looking forward to the uber-simple life again.

So, yep, I do believe you can live on little to nothing if you are prepared and ready to do some sacrificing.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Hulu is great and now I have watched a lot on casttv.com too. really who needs a tv anymore with all the stuff you can do with the computer. oh tv sits there and we watch movies on it. My sister is going to buy it off of us cause we really don't use it hardly at all anymore. We have another one if we want to watch movies anyway. I little smaller but not much and it is stored in the closet so the first one is going. I really like living off the grid. now if I could only afford a wind thingy. Oh right now I forget what it is called but the big white windmills. I guess. I would love one of those....

Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  04:54:54 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread today...and running very low on funds till payday (nearly 2 weeks)...so your posts give me inspiration that I too can make it...maybe not the challenge this month...but definitely on track to live within our means....thanks!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  06:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Guess what ladies! This up coming paycheck we are paying off an additional $555 of Stupid debt!! That's almost all of it now! Then after this paycheck (so 4 weeks from this Friday) we will pay off an additional $550 of stupid debt! Then we are all done! All told from the middle of May through the first part of July, we will have paid off over $2000 of high interest revolving debt aka Stupid debt. I am sooooo happy! When I look at what our money is going to be like on a graph there is this huge depressed section and then suddenly we start having a little bit to work with and by the end of the year we should have a nice savings account for emergencies so we don't have to do the stupid debt any more. I feel this HUGE weight coming off my shoulders! Phew!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
That is so awesome! Good for you!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  06:41:26 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Alee! So proud of you!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  06:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ladies! It's been hard because it means NO extra spending- budgeting really tight on money and generally not having a lot of out-of-the-house type fun (conserving gas etc). But by getting it taken care of now it opens up the possibility for so much more down the road.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page