Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month? Next Topic
Page: of 3

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  09:15:50 AM  Show Profile
That is the question I am asking myself. For the month of June I have given myself the challenge of raising our family of five on just $1,200. That includes everything (mortgage, bills, food...everything!). I will be profiling my journey on my blog the whole month and would love you farmgirls to follow along and add any tips or anything. You can read more at www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com

Just curious, how much do you think the bare minimum would be for your family to live off for a month?
-Elizabeth

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  09:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would totally be able to do it if I didn't have to consult my husband! LOL There are certain things that he thinks are essentials like the internet and TV that would have to go. Good Luck, Elizabeth! I know if anyone is able to do it you will be able to!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth - I read your blog. FANTASTIC idea. I posted a comment there. I may not make it on $1200 with my family of five & 2 dogs, but I'm on the adventure with you! I'm going to try to reduce our family spending as much as possible to see how little we can get by on for June...and July...and August...and........
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Alee-
My husband is shaking his head thinking there is no way we can come close...which is why I am all the more determined to do this! :)

Reereebee-
I'm excited to have you on the journey! While even I may not be able to reach the $1,200 mark, it will help me be more aware of wants vs. needs and where our money really goes each month. I'm excited about trying it out!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  11:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just added up our essentials that we have to do, ignoring the TV/Internet/Phone pacakage. We are a bit closer to $2300 a month, but some of that is because we have to put Nora in Daycare and pay for gas to work six days a week. We live on a pretty tight budget. In the last month we have paid of $500 in a short term loan and are set to pay off another $1000 in the month of June on top of my husband who pays between $400 to $600 on his own debts per month. It's always great to see yourself making progress!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  11:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey ladies- I just created a quick Excel Document that I am calling "Budget Keeper" Just type in your income and your expense variable and it will calculate how much you will be over/under for each time period. I left some open areas so you can add your own bills. Send me an email and I will send you a copy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  12:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Alee - I sent you an email. I would love to get your spreadsheet. Thanks.
BTW - My mother in law lives in Billings...my husband will be out to visit her in June. He's also doing some local singing concerts while he's there. Maybe you can catch him!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  1:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That would be great, Marie!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  1:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Alee - I'll let you know the "wheres & whens" once he's out there.

Elizabeth - Two things I've committed to start doing (which will reduce our electric bill) that I have not been diligent about doing before are:
1) Always do laundry in cold water
2) Line dry everything except undergarments

I raise my glass (of sweet tea) to all of us Frugal Farmgirls :)
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  5:39:22 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I have also emailed you! This should be interesting. Good luck Elizabeth are
your venture, I will be reading your blog to see how you are doing.
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  05:02:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to insist that we eat out of the freezer for June. I know I'll have to buy some steaks off and on, and milk and bread, but mainly we're going to eat out of the freezer and my cabinets. I also am going to wash with cold water. I used to do it all the time and it worked fine. I would suggest though that you use liquid laundry detergent if you do.
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  05:25:12 AM  Show Profile
Vintage Saver - Good tip with the liquid detergent. Thanks. My laundry might have to wait until this afternoon as it is raining this morning and my vow to line dry just won't work in the rain

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else”
- J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  05:32:14 AM  Show Profile
This sounds great but our college loan payments are over 800 a month by themselves! Yuck! I don't think my number will be 1200 but I'll see what we can do!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julie- maybe you could do $2000? (1200 plus you 800 student loans?)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  07:53:54 AM  Show Profile
I orginally just set this challenge up for my family and thought people would like to watch to see if we made it. I've heard from several people (some of you farmgirls too!) that you would love to do this challenge but that $1,200 just isn't possible for your family.

So if you want to join in as well, you can read my updated blog post today at www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com Basically, figure out what your set bills are and then add whatever you are comfortable (I suggest $400-$500 extra) to the mix and that is your goal for the month. If you have your own blog you can even steal my $1,200 Budget Challenge button to stick on your blog and explain to your readers what you are doing. I'll have updates from all the readers doing this challenge and also be very straightforward on how much I spend each day and how I get around spending too much. I'm excited about this challenge!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  08:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is an excellent idea, Elizabeth! I will definitly post about that on my blog!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile
Our stupid mortgage is more than that. I wish we could make it on that but the reality is we still have credit card debt and car payments. We have a 6 figure income and it is gone by the end of the month. Of course we have lots and lots and lots of drs, meds, therapies, stuff, etc for our special needs child. In fact we have to buy a $250 doorknob this weekend to keep him from getting out. yippee...

I think that is a wonderful idea and SO wish I could try it with you. In a few years I can but please keep the blog updated as I love gleaning ideas from my wiser farm sisters.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:52:36 AM  Show Profile
That sounds great!
I have the same problem, that total is just my mortgage for the month!
We wash in cold & line dry, no problems. I buy bulk at the local amish
bulk food store (50 lb. bags of flour & sugar) and make our bread, biscuits,
cookies, and noodles from scratch - and freeze some for when I'm busy! We just
joined a local CSA, our deposit was $50, and for $20 a week we get TONS of
produce at the CSA farm, plus free unlimited all-you can-pick items! (found
it on localharvest.org).

My neighbor gives us free raw milk she has extra, I use it to make cheese
and for cooking. We also buy eggs from her for $1 a dozen - until our hens
start laying! Every little bit helps, we have five to feed too. And they
are ALWAYS hungry! LOL

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn-
About the $250 doorknob. Walmart sells plastic doorknob covers in the baby-proof section that clip onto your doorknob. You have to squeeze both ends to get the doorknob to open and it is difficult for most children to figure out how to open those...so maybe that would work instead of having to spend soooooo much on a new doorknob? I think it is like $3 for two.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  12:43:10 PM  Show Profile
My Hubby and I have been workin the frugal and budgeting like crazy for nearly 2 years. We have been living off $1400 a month for that long. First his short time disability, then his unemployment. We have a 15y/o, a 10y/o, and a 18 month old all girls. We have had tax return checks and a few other things we have sold to manage repairs and brokedown vehicles. We are truly blessed to not have a housing payment. That has made life much easier. We use cloth diapers, cook at home all the time, and when we're out and absolutely starving we have a plan for that too. If you each get 1 sandwich from the drive thru dollar menu it will stop the hunger nawing at your tummy and you won't be at the resteraunt to by more when it doesn't fill you up all the way, but you'll be fine till you get home. I have learned a ton from the tightwad gazette books, checked out from the library, of course. I could post a hundred ways to stretch things a little more, but you can read them from those books and you'll probably find things there that work for you but didn't for me. Do a lot of library research and you'll find a whole new life.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:26:14 PM  Show Profile
I think we already live on that much since we turned off our cable tv and we have a small mortgage but I am going to follow along cause I think it is very interesting. OUr kids are grown also so if you can do it with kids. kudos to all of you!!! I will certainly be following along!!! bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey,Elizabeth, I KNOW you can do this. First off, I live here in Iowa,too..eastern side of the state on the Mississippi. Our whole area has been really hard hit due to the downshift in the economy with housing bust,industrial lay-offs. My hubby is a carpenter/contractor/self-employed and has been driving 60 miles round trip to work for the last year. I give guitar lessons here and at the local community college so we are both self-employed. I think our state is pretty good with all of the home/garden,etc.info from extension services through Iowa State University.And it is free !
I don't know about where you are but we have had a plethora of yard/tag/garage sales herein eastern Iowa. That is such a great place to stock up on even shampoos (hey, I'll take a 1/2 bottle for a nickel!!! ),cleaning items, and whatever. The possibilities are endless. Do you have Farmers Market close by where you could either join in and sell or purchase/barter ? I am really excited for you. See if you can find a copy of Amy Dayczyn(pronounced "decision") book The Complete Tightwad Gazette. She talks abouthow she & her husbandraised their family of 6 and purchased an older New Engladn farmhouse on a very limited income...its still one of my favorite reads...and I have even seen copies of it at yard sales ( silly girls for selling that little treasure!!! )
Remember,as "brother" Red Green says, " I'm pulling for you...we're all in this together! "
Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:40:53 PM  Show Profile
I've been wanting a copy of the Tightwad Gazette for a long time. But I guess I'm too much of a tightwad and won't dish out the $$$ for it. I keep hoping I'll come accross it at a yard sale or thrift store. No luck yet.

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else”
- J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile
Rochelle-
Actually, I'm in Eastern Iowa as well...in between Waterloo and Dubuque. We have tons of garage sales in the area and that is where I get all the children's clothing. You can read about some of my garage sale finds on my blog by clicking on "garage sales/thrift stores" on my right hand side. :)
I love the Tightwad books and own all three of them. I got them on Paperback Swap by trading some of my books (you can read about that on my blog too!). The ideas in the book are fantastic and you're right, I need to dig them back out this month and put them to better use.
I think it would have been easier to do this challenge when my garden was producing more. Unless we can live on radishes alone we won't be getting much from the garden in June.
Thanks for all the tips everyone, I will be putting them to good use!
-Elizabeth
www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  03:35:59 AM  Show Profile
I can answer that one very easily
YES!!

But this entails no cell phone or cable.

As state employees, this is pretty much what we start out at, and only paid once a month at that!

Shop thrift stores and food,places like Aldi.

It's really really tough, but can be done!
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  08:57:08 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you are already well on your way,Elizabeth.Awesome !!! I live just sounth of the Quad Cities in the town now known as the "Pearl Of the Mississippi". I'll look forward to checking out your blog. We are heading to a a wonderful "frugal" wedding on a farm near Lowden (up more your way) the end of July...maybe send ideas your way for the future??? ;)
I LOVE those city-wide sales. Great bargaining power there. Another little tip: Even though I am definitley not a lover of the "big box" stores I have found a couple of great,hidden bargains lately. I noticed some palletts of torn bags at two different garden centers of these stores. Just for the heck of it I asked if they were for sale and how much. The employess of both stores checked and said, "I guess yeah they are for sale and are 50% off." Granted I had to do a little more leg work for the deal ( writing down brand names,weights,etc.) and take it inside to pay for it but it was SO worth it !!! I got decorative marble stone,playsand,etc. all 1/2 off. You never know what you will find if you look and then ask !!!!!
Also, Elizabeth, think we could find enough Eastern Iowa sisters to do a farmgirl get-together and share of glass of iced tea while swapping ideas ? Sure glad I found this thread....how fun !!!!!

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference." - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can You Live Off $1,200 a Month? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page