Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Cleaning old wooden blocks to be played with
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning old wooden blocks to be played with Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:39:06 AM  Show Profile
We were given a wonderful assortment of older wooden blocks (vintage and antique) and I wanted to clean them up so that Violet can play with them. What's the best way? The thought of polishing all of them is a little daunting, but they do need a good scrub. What about Murphys Oil soap? How much water?

She's all about putting things in her mouth, so I want to make sure they're at least somewhat clean

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:46:36 AM  Show Profile
I would probably try vinegar - apple cider vinegar works on wood floors, and I know vinegar kills mold better than bleach. What a cool gift!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Amy...I have some in the cabinet, so I'll try that when I get home. They are a really wonderful...and very cool--couldn't be any less because they came from a super-cool Farmgirl!

Thanks again for your help!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaggieAnnie
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

maggie
or
USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  8:19:18 PM  Show Profile
my only thought is check the paint...we were given a wonderful assortment of blocks from dh's grandparents but they turned out to have lead paint.

MaggieAnnie
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  03:29:56 AM  Show Profile
After cleaning them up I'd use a food grade wood oil on them like the one used on butcher blocks. One that I use is by Howard Butcher Block Conditioner Food Grade mineral oil & Natural waxes. It's a specialized wood care for not just butcher blocks, but cutting boards wooden bowls and utensils. I don't see where it would hurt the blocks, it may even help them. It says on the bottle that the quality of the food-grade mineral oil along with the water resistant traits of beeswax and carnauba wax rejuvenates the wood and prevents drying and cracking . The naturally antibacterial waxes help repair any marks and protect the wood by keeping the mineral oil in and moisture out, so I think it might help preserve the blocks. But I definitely use a food grade oil since your little one will be playing with them.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cleaning old wooden blocks to be played with Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page