msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  6:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I have a great solution for ending your fruit fly problem! Forget setting out little bowls of vinegar, etc.

1. Plug in your vacuum in a room where the flies are a problem, and get your hose attachment all set up.
2. Get a glass of wine (sounds fun already, right?)
3. Sit by your vacuum with your wine. (drinking it is optional)
4. Wait. If you have any fruit flies, they'll come calling.
5. When you have a sufficient number of the flies buzzing around your wine glass, flip on the vacuum, and suck up the flies with the hose attachment.

See, wasn't that fun AND easy? Lol. Seriously, I do use a vacuum to take care of any fruit fly problem. It works great. As long as you aren't wildly chasing them, the flies buzz around pretty slowly and you just suck them up.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  8:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Amanda:
That sounds like how I would do it, too. Great idea. I think it's the wine that bring such great ideas to us. LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  9:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Amanda! I sprayed my lemon ade as I read the 2.!
Thanks for the laugh!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  06:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Lol, well we have to keep housework fun and interesting, right???? Of course, I was being 1/2 silly, though wine definitely attracts the little pests, but if you don't 'do' wine, use 1/2 of a banana as bait, and you'll get just as many. :0)

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  08:49:50 AM  Show Profile
I loved this post. My daughter has three parrots so they have fresh fruit in their food bowls all the time. We have a terrible time with fruit flies. My DH hates them and once even brought the bug zapper and set it up in the kitchen to get them. It didn't work. I have forwarded this to him and I am sure he will be down here shortly with my white wine in a glass and his vacuum ready for the little beasties.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  8:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Lol. I had parrots in the house, too, but now they're all in an outdoor aviary. I am even having to put bananas in the fridge (gag) to keep down the flies. Oh, the beauty of living in the South. Lol. That humid weather rolls in and so do the fruit flies.

:0P

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  9:43:39 PM  Show Profile
In the summer I basically live in the kitchen swinging a dishtowel at anything flying. We put flypaper up (gross) for a few days to get it under control and then take it down because it is GROSS and try to deal with them from there.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  11:57:06 AM  Show Profile
I get a lot of fruit flies because I ferment foods and they love the smell. I have found that homemade traps work best. Put a little of something they like in a jar, just a little though at the bottom. Then place a funnel on top that meets the edge of the top of the jar. The fruit flies fly in to eat, then can't seem to find their was to get out. If you put in a liquid and add a few drops of liquid soap, they might drown. I just sort of release them into the wild every day lol. Also,a cotton ball with a few drops of lemon oil placed in a couple corners of the area can help keep them at bay if there aren't too many.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Who hates fruit flies??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page