Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  7:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Well, I picked up my baby chicks at long last. I was disappointed that the Buckeyes I had ordered over a month ago were overbooked and no more would be available until the end of June. Sooooo, I opted to choose from the other heirloom breeds at a feed store that specializes in having a LOT of rare breeds and many other kinds of poultry. The owner is a poultry judge and she really knows her stuff --- I've always bought chickens from her. This time, I bought Welsummers, Cuckoo Marans and Blue Wyandottes. I haven't had chickens for 4 years and I'm smitten all over again. Do any of the rest of you have Welsummers or Marans? I've had many breeds, but never those two breeds. I'm eager to see these dark brown eggs they're supposed to lay. I've been handling my chickies a lot so they'll be super tame...and gosh that is soooo hard to do
Shery Jespersen

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  8:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Shery, I had a Welsummer but didn't know it for awile. She was a beautiful hen and laid the most beautiful eggs I have ever seen. She was also very sweet and had the best personality for a chicken. I got her at a sale barn with 5 other chickens. Her and the Americana, Hildi, were best friends and were always together. She was killed one night back during the winter by some horrible creature. Just killed her. I was very upset to have lost her. She was a very good chicken. And I would love to get some more. I think when I order the meat chickens I will get some of them. And I would also like to try the Marans. Their eggs are even a darker reddish than the Welsummer.

I am sure you will be well pleased with those 2 breeds. I have also had Golden and Silver Wyandottes. Very good chickens too. The golden is beautiful and very regal.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  04:08:36 AM  Show Profile
How exciting for you Shery! I had so much fun with our baby chicks, they are still young of course, just 7 weeks old, but now, they are more likely to want to hang out with me, where as before they were scared!
Have fun with them!
I love Welsummer's!!! I am hoping to get a couple next spring. I wasn't able to get them this spring, everyone was out of them, by the time I realized it. I think they are the most beautiful chickens!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  07:04:54 AM  Show Profile
i too have welsummers. i love their eggs and they are quite calm. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Changin' Chicks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page