Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 The girls are in the house!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic The girls are in the house! Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  06:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Their new house that is!
Hubby finally finished putting hardware cloth on the openings and Sunday was move in day. They seem to be doing fine....it's funny because as soon as they were in they all ran for the northwest corner, their favorite corner that they had in the box in the garage, lol!!! Must have felt secure to them!
It is so nice to be able to put a wooden crate in there, and just sit and talk to them. They are mostly curious and friendly, and will let me pet them, and pick them up with a minimum of fuss. On Monday, they got to go out to the great outdoors, their first time ever. Well, okay, half of them went, the other half were too......chicken!!!
Thought you'd enjoy these 2 photos:

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  06:43:09 AM  Show Profile
what happy babies. good job. they will have a nice place to live with shade and warmth in winter. i just love when i am letting out new animals into their area. eggs are coming soon. they look very healthy. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  08:17:30 AM  Show Profile
awwwwe!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile
The chickens have a really nice house. Cute.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  12:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Nice pictures Brenda! Good lookin' chickies!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  4:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a really nice house for them. Did you fence it in or are they just free ranging? And what is the floor made of?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  06:39:27 AM  Show Profile
Kris- well, it is fenced in now behind the coop, and a small area to the right of the coop is covered, but I am waiting on some taller fence posts to cover the rest. We have red hawks here, so they are being kept safe!
I am hoping though that by the end of the summer, I will be able to let them free range for part of each day, when we are out there with them....
The floor is particle board with linoleum on top. Hubby got an 8 x 10 piece out of a clearance bin. Just laid on, not glued or anything. It will be easy to clean out when I need to, but I am trying to build up the wood shavings more, because the girls think it is fun to slide on there, but I keep telling them they'll end up with foot problems if they don't knock it off!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  8:23:00 PM  Show Profile
That coop looks great!
You should be proud, I'll bet they are happy.
Are you going to put in nesting shelves?
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  8:40:16 PM  Show Profile
What a nice coop...and a nice yard to go with it. The girls sure look healthy and smooth bodied. Mine are just wee lassies. My coop in still in the carpenter's shop. It'll be done before they're ready to go in there though. Anxious am I.
Shery Jespersen

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  04:11:42 AM  Show Profile
Carla- yes, hubby will be working on those over the next month or so. They will go right above where the chicks are in the pic.
And, my run is now done, but I am not posting pics of it, it looks like something out of a WW II concentration camp, lol!!! :o I had a hard time getting the chicken wire to be taut and flat, then I ran out of chicken wire, before I was quite finished. Oh well, it keeps my girls in and the hawks out until they get bigger, that's all I wanted!
At some point I will post some pics of them outside.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  04:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Oh Brenda, what a wonderful coop! Are you going to paint the outside and if you do what color? I bet you little chickies are so happy and content. Enjoy!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  04:57:01 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, The flooring will be easier to clean, my husband did the same thing for my coop, it is very easy to clean. Good luck with these girls, they will listen for life.

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic The girls are in the house! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page