knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  12:19:25 PM  Show Profile
I've found a good supplier, but am having an indecisive moment and need some opinions! Any better of a place? I think, not!

Should I get Royal Palms or Bourbon Red turkeys? I've narrowed it down to these two anyone have them and would pick one over the other? Any comments welcome(as long as they are nice).

Thanks all!

~Ashley

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  12:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Ashley. I have a SIL in Spring City on the lake. I am thinking about turkeys too. I want a heritage breed that will be able to breed and have more. Where are you ordering them from? I would love to know where to get them. I think I would like the Bourbon Reds as they are from Kentucky which is so close. How many are you getting? If they have a good deal on large orders I would go in with you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile
just wanted to say i had royal palms. they were not happy here. our place was too small for them. i do better with the bourbons. just my thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  1:57:37 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,

We decided on the Bourbons! I am getting them from a local man in Decatur. He has a huge hathcery, but it is very well tended. We bought some chickens from him a few years ago and they were all in great condition.

He is charging $5 each and only has 6 at the moment (poults), but said that they hatch out everyday. If you want his contact information, let me know and I'll be more than happy to send it over!

The next time you are in Spring City you should let me know! It would be nice to meet another Farm Girl:)

Sherrye:

Thanks for your help. Always happy to have good advice!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  2:58:11 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, that's so neat that there is a local place to get them. Are they pure Bourbon Reds? And how old are they when you get them? I would love the info please. I could drive up next week. And I guess these are straight run? Oh, this is exciting! Does this guy have chickens too? I am looking for a meat chicken that would be good on pasture for a free range grass fed broiler or roaster.

I have also been thinking of getting a few heritage breed pigs. I got our Ga. market bulletin the other day and saw a guy in Rome that has registered Mulefoot hogs. Not too far from here. About 50 miles. I want to go see them. And another guy in Crawfordville that has Ossabaw Island hogs. Those are originally from Ossabaw Island in Ga. So very local hogs. I am glad to see these around. Anyway, this was very off the subject of turkeys but I really want some pigs too.

I would love to meet some day. There are several Tn. farmgirls here now. We need to have a farmgirl meet and greet soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  3:33:20 PM  Show Profile
We were told that they are pure Bourbon Reds. When we pick them up, I want to look at the possible parents and see for myself, so I can let you know if you'd like. I'm pretty sure he sells them as soon as they are ready to go. The woman we spoke with sounded like he sells out fairly quickly, so just guessing 1-3 weeks…Since I didn’t speak to him directly I still have a few questions about the birds I plan to ask in the morning. Any you’d like answered? I’d be more than happy to ask him.

Yes, they are strait run and he has lots and lots of chickens (any type of bird, really). We bought our chickens and guineas from him. They were all really healthy and pretty birds. He is also a very nice man. I'm not sure what his real name is, but everyone calls him Fuzzy. His daughter (or daughter-in-law – can’t remember which) does the selling for him. Her name is Melissa and the number she has listed for public calls: 423-334-8075. He also has Bronze and Royal Palm heritage breeds.

We hope to pick up a few pigs this coming spring, so I would be really interested in what you find out in Ga about the heritage breeds!! If you don't mind letting me know. What a small world...

I tried to contact a farm girl chapter in Knoxville, but never heard a reply and the chapter in Chattanooga is not accepting new members. Do you know of another around here? A meet and greet would be fun.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  08:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
We just bought some from the local feed store. We just got the standard white turkeys. We were just wanting to raise them for meat anyway. Right now they are selling them on markdown for $4.99 each.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  09:15:38 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good deal, Brandee. I googled the BR turkeys and they are so pretty. I can't wait to get some/ And the weather's just right for them to be outside in just a few weeks time. I just called the # and left a message. Also called the 2 guys with those hogs and no answer either. So I hope they all call back soon. (She just called back about the turkeys. She has 4 different kinds. She said someone was coming today to get 6 of the BR. I guess that's Ashley. She had to go to her son's graduation so will call back this afternoon. How exciting!)

Ashley, I don't know of any chapters here. Maybe we should start our own?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  4:40:17 PM  Show Profile
We went today and he had 14 ready to go, but they are really young (just a few days). The birds look good and we have them all set up. I found out (from Fuzzy) that there is a man in Kingston, TN who buys from him and sells Heritage birds on Ebay for $10 EACH!! He buys almost all of the Bourbons he can get his hands on, so I'd go when you can.

Kris-It would be wonderful to start a chapter!! I would love to have a group of women close by to meet with that share the same interests.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, she did call right back and said someone got 14 today. I thought that'd be you. I told her I definitely want some. She said they are hatching every day now. So she'll call me in a few days. I think they are the prettiest turkey. I'm so glad you got them. Keep me posted on how they do for you. I have heard they are hard to get going and are easy to just die. I think I'd like them to be a few weeks old when I get them. I have never raised them myself. But I bought 6 older ones from a friend who didn't want to butcher them. So I did. There were 2 different kinds. 3 white and 3 black. Not sure what the black ones were. ANyway, let me know how they do.

And I am not a good leader so if you want to get one going I will be there and help you out. There are some others from Tn. that might join in too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  2:10:25 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
Do you know some ladies that might join, too? I do not really know many women here, so this would give me a wonderful opportunity to meet them. Let me look into the start up and see what all it entails. Would it be ok to send you a message with the details to see what you think?

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  04:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, how are the little turkeys today? I can hardly wait to get mine now. Hopefully sometime this week. I talked to the guy in Rome, Ga. who has the Mulefoot hogs the other day. He wants $225.00 each for the ones that are about 8 weeks old. And they are not castrated yet because he sells them for breeding stock. I think if he has some more later I will catch him when they are little and have a few castrated. I really don't want to have pigs here to breed. I don't have enough room and they are so much work. But I want some bad. I am milking full time now so have lots of milk now. And 2 of the does have nasty tasting milk right now so I have to give it to the animals so I might as well give it to hogs.

I have no idea how to start a chapter. I guess you can go to the section here on chapters and start a thread for Tn. and maybe Ga. farmgirls. There are a few Ga. girls close by also. I'll talk to Kelly and see if she'd join. But it sounds like fun. Let me know what you find out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:36:54 AM  Show Profile
The turkeys are doing really well. They are really funny curious birds. I've found some pretty useful information about their care so that has been helpful. If you'd like I can email you the links. We've only ever raised chicks, so this is our first turkey adventure.

Thanks so much for the pig info. I have to wait until the spring to buy one because of one of our barns (but I am so excited to get one!). I wonder if we bought them at the same time if he'd give us a deal? What kind of dairy animals do you have? I'd like to get a couple of meat or milk goats and a dairy cow. My husband and I bought (2 yrs ago) an old dairy farm (the mass of the land was all broken up and sold off in parts) but we are set up for a dairy. It's just slow going because all of the barns are in such need of repair, but we are slowly getting to where we need to be to start purchasing the animals. Soooo happy and ready to get to where we need to be with all of that.

I looked into a chapter and I think all you have to do is sign up and they send you some information. It was right b/f bedtime (3 little boys), so I had to skim the material quickly. I will look a little more in depth. I'm sure if a chapter is started then people will join. It might take a few months, but it would be fun. I'll look some more this afternoon. Hope your milk clears up soon. I hate to waste, so I understand about giving it to a hog instead:)

I'll keep you posted on the turkeys. Excited for you to get yours:)

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  09:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, I am selling Faith and Sadie. If you are interested I will make you a good deal on them. Faith is Lamancha and Sadie is her daughter and she's half Toggenburg. Very pretty. Sadie is 3 and Faith is 6. I also have another Lamancha, Abby, and a Nubian, Sandy. I thought I wanted another Nubian but after the last few days, NO! The Lamanchas are SO much quieter. The milk gets better after the kids are gone. They had 6 bucks this year so lots of testosterone out there! Also have a half Jersey-black Angus heifer, Roxie. She's 9 months. And a red Angus heifer, Mazie. She'll be 2 in July. I will try to milk them both when they have calves.

I am going to email the other guy with the Ossabaw Island hogs in a few minutes. He's in Crawforsville. Hubby said it's down near Atlanta. I think they are just $75. a piece. Much more affordable for me. Yes, they will get some of the goat milk too. And compost up the goat barn for me. The dirt in there is so rich and black. I am using it to plant my veggies in.

Please email the links to the turkey info. I need all I can get!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Some people say turkeys are hard to raise, but I had no problem. I put beer caps and Mardi Gras beads in their water and food (I'm serious) to attract them to it. They love shiny things, and will peck at them. They are funny birds and extremely curious. We did end up butchering ours but we thought they were just awesome, funny birds. They DO eat a LOOOOOOT, though. This was the downside to my turkey experience, however, I should have butchered them 6 months before I did!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  4:34:04 PM  Show Profile
Msdoolittle: That made me smile! I love the idea of using beads in the water. Right now we are using marbles it the water. Did you have any problems with their bottoms? With about 3 of the 14 I've taken a wet paper towel and gently washed the poop off of their bottom and with 2 had no problem. However, 1 of the poults started to bleed a little. I immedetly stoped and put him back as soon as I saw blood. I'm going to go back in the morning and try to get the rest off, but I can't really find any information about it.

Kris, $75 sounds a lot better than $225! I emailed you the links. I hope they are helpful. Let me know about the goats. I'll have to talk to my husband about the barn (all in the email if you're scratching your head).
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  6:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, I emailed you back.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  7:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, it's just a case of 'poopy butt' or 'pasty butt'. It's typically caused by stress, and will clear up on its own in a few days. You did exactly what you are supposed to do...keep their booties clean, lol. Their skin is sooooo fragile, it is very easy to tear it, so you did the right thing by putting the chick back in. As long as the, er, anus is not completely covered, and they can still poop, they should be fine.

I had a few chicks this time around with it, and last time, I got too aggressive with my chicken heinie cleaning and there was a little blood, so I stopped. As you know, poultry are attracted to anything red and they'll peck on it mercilessly, so that is why I stick with a red lightbulb, as they can't differentiate blood from anything else in the brooder. Make sense?

Look up pasty butt on Backyard Chickens.com.

As long as the poo looks mostly normal (when chicks are stressed, they will have a runny poo, but the next poo should be back to normal....it's like a fight or flight response), then I would not worry too much, other than making sure that the anus is not totally pasted shut! You will hear about coccidia, which can cause bloody diarrhea, and this is always something to look for. However, the chicks will be very lethargic and 'droopy'.

Good luck!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lets talk turkey! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page