kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  05:05:34 AM  Show Profile
My heifer Mazie is in heat. She will be 2 in July and I wanted to wait til June to take her up the road to a bull at my friend's place. So do cows come in heat every month? Or have I missed my shot?
I wrote it on the calendar so I'll know next time. Should I go ahead and take her there now?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  07:07:33 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning kris, YES they come in every 21 days. since you have the other cow, did you see a standing heat. if you find any blood on her back side you missed it. is it obvious when she is coming in. sometimes its easier to move them when they are not in. you may need her to be there for 2 cycles to be sure it took. i did a preg check doing tail blood draw on the neighbors cow. she had tried to ai 3 times. no go. so she sold the cow. i am lending my bull to my friend that bought her. my cow showed no sign of heat except shaking in the stanchion. i think she has always been ai bred. hoping it goes smoothly for you. if she is just coming in i would watch her close. then after being pasture bred you will know how she behaves before during and after breeding. it helps to be able to read the cow. maddie is coming along. she is still not bagged up yet. ida i am worried about. will go today to see if i need vet. i hope i find a healthy calf on the ground. let me know what you do with mazie. isnt it great fun. always different and always a steep learning curve. just my opinion happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:11:53 AM  Show Profile
She was mounting Roxie a few times yesterday. That's when I got to checking closer and she is definetely in heat. So does it just last a day? She seems ok today. Oh, and the loud bellowing all day. It was so noisy here yesterday with all the buck kids whining and the does whining and Mazie mooing and chickens clucking. It was like being in NYC! I had to come in this morning. I couldn't take Sandy's noise anymore. She is awful!

Anyway, thanks for the reply. So every 21 days? Geeze.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  09:24:33 AM  Show Profile
I noticed that when Mona was younger she was louder during her heat (every 21 days) than she is now...but still...it is loud. Not looking forward to THAT part of her calving.(heats starting up again I mean) Mona's usually are for a couple days..standing heat only one day. She is usually most fertile about 12 hours after her loudest bellowing.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  09:32:45 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I missed it then. Yesterday she was very loud. So I guess the middle of June I'll take her down the road to her new friend. Actually, the 13th of June will be 21 days later. So I should take her a few days before that?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  8:22:49 PM  Show Profile
yes for sure i would take her a week or more before. the bull will pull her into a heavier heat. it will give him time to get his timing down. better to take her early. you could miss the heat. hope this helps kris good luck happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Heifer in heat question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page