Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Stinky Dog Smell in House Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile
What do you all do to keep your house smelling nice when you have inside pets? We have two indoor dogs and I have to say that they make the house smell bad. The Pom...not so much. He smells a little (even right after bathing) but the smell seems to stay to himself. Our bulldog is a stinky little thing, even with frequent bathing, and I also feel as though there is a lingering dog odor in the house. Washing the carpets helps for a few days or airing the house out but I need tips.
-Elizabeth

www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  7:51:10 PM  Show Profile
I have nothing for you on this one. I refuse to allow inside dogs. We have an inside cat and use the Arm & Hammer litter which works really well. I have never been into a home that had inside dogs that did not smell. Sorry don't know what to tell you.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  8:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Usually when a dog is giving off body odor, its from an under lying problems such as a skin infection, bulldogs have deep wrinkles, and they can get fungus infections down in there, bathing will only temporay remove the smells, also ear infections and bad teeth will cause bad odors. Healthy dogs do not have body odor, yes dirty odor from rolling in yuck etc, but not body odor.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Melbick
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Melanie
Venus TX
USA
81 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  8:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Melbick a Yahoo! Message
There is an Odor Absorbing Gel that I get at the Dollar Tree here that works ok, takes about 1 a room but last for awhile. Honestly short of having a totally tile and wood floor I don't think we will ever truely get rid of the smell. It is worse in the Winter of course because we have th ehouse closed up but not so bad in the Summer except in the rooms that we can't open the windows in yet. good luck.

Melanie Bickham
FarmGirl Sister #1475

http://www.etsy.com/shop/homegrowngirls

Homegrown Girls
http://thebickhamfamily.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  10:16:24 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Teresa, dogs don't usually give off body odor. I have a shepherd/lab cross and a shizu and they only smell when they've been rolling in something or in the creek and they both are inside/outside dogs. Mine only get baths when they really need it about once per month. I don't have any carpets either so that may be part of it as well.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile
sprinkling baking soda on the carpets and vacumming helps. Also washing their bedding in vinegar.:)
hugs
Jess

I think housework would be ever so much easier if I had those nifty Jedi powers. :)

Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  6:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I use a fragrant charcoal. The one I'm using now is by Green Air in Tropical mist (it smells so good). It's effective in removing bad oders, plus it's natural and earth friendly. I have them all over the house and they seem to be working really well.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  6:40:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah I use baking soda in my carpets also and another tip I learned at the pet store is to put borax on your carpet and scrub it in the fibers, Leave it on for 2 days or longer. Not only does it help absorb oder it kills fleas by dehydrating them.
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  7:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Kathy where do you get the fragrant charcoal?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  06:23:27 AM  Show Profile
There are spray on deoderizers .

I use Cloudstar's Buddy Spritz laveder and mint on my long coated dog. This works especially well if we go swimming in the creek.

Spray on and towel dry
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Stinky Dog Smell in House Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page