FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:10:40 AM  Show Profile
Last year was the worst year that I can remember for fleas in our area (I thought it was just us, but everyone has said as much in our area) but I'll be darn if it hasn't already started!!! Had a big "dog flea" on me last night, just after giving dog baths on Saturday. Guess we "stirred them up". Hate those little buggers!!!!

What's a good way to nip it in the bud around the house? What do you folks feel works (naturally)? We have a little one to think of and I can't stand the idea of chemicals.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2888 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2888 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:22:37 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
Shaklee's Basic H works on fleas. Kinda pricy cause it goes on full strength.
Also just got an email from a friend that had all kinds of uses for various "around the house items" & one was Dawn dishwashing soap for fleas. Hate to support the corporate giant, but might be worth $2 to give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:25:18 AM  Show Profile
We use Natural Defense by Sentry (for Cats/Kittens). It's made of peppermint oil, clove oil, & lemon grass oil. It seems to work. I have 3 cats who are inside cats, but the youngest one is bound and determined to be outside during the spring/summer months (can't say I blame her :-) so we put this on all three cats and I haven't had a problem yet. I'm not sure how it will work for dogs - I'm sure there is a dog version of this flea/tick squeeze-on - but it's worth a try. I'm not into the chemicals either! Good luck!
~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:30:45 AM  Show Profile
We have had such a mild winter up here in north Idaho, I'm afraid it's just going to be an awful year of pests and bugs.
I am uncertain of this, but have heard that buying your dogs cedar filled beds will deter fleas...can anyone elucidate on this ?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I use a product called Pet Pride No Flea by Ashley's Green Products. You put it in their feed/water and it makes their coat shiny, too.
It is hard to get my cats to drink it, though. :( So I have to use the frontline as well.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  12:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I know that Apple Cider Vinegar works really well on cats and dogs. You just mix how ever much you want with a little bit of water and spray it on.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  7:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Channah how much water to vinegar??? Vicki
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  7:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
well they say to to equal amounts of each. :) Here is a wonderful artical on Apple Cider Vinegar. :) I use it a lot for our animals even my goats. :)

Every home with dogs should have apple cider vinegar. It's a remedy with multiple uses for dogs: alleviating allergies, arthritis, establishing correct pH balance. You can also give apple cider vinegar to cats and horses.

As written in an excellent, 1997 article by Wendy Volhard:

"...If your dog has itchy skin, the beginnings of a hot spot, incessantly washes its feet, has smelly ears, or is picky about his food, the application of ACV may change things around. For poor appetite, use it in the food - 1 tablespoon, two times a day for a 50 lb. dog. For itchy skin or beginning hot spots, put ACV into a spray bottle, part the hair and spray on. Any skin eruption will dry up in 24 hours and will save you having to shave the dog. If the skin is already broken, dilute ACV with an equal amount of water and spray on.

Taken internally, ACV is credited with maintaining the acid/alkaline balance of the digestive tract. To check your dog's pH balance, pick up some pH strips at the drug store, and first thing in the morning test the dog's urine. If it reads anywhere from 6.2 - 6.5, your dog's system is exactly where it should be. If it is 7.5 or higher, the diet you are feeding is too alkaline, and ACV will re-establish the correct balance.

If you have a dog that has clear, watery discharge from the eyes, a runny nose, or coughs with a liquid sound, use ACV in his or her food. One teaspoon twice a day for a 50 lb. dog will do the job.

After your weekly grooming sessions, use a few drops in his or her ears after cleaning them to avoid ear infections. Other uses for ACV are the prevention of muscle weakness, cramps, feeling the cold, calluses on elbows and hock joints, constipation, bruising too easily, pimples on skin surfaces, twitching of facial muscles, sore joints, arthritis and pus in the urine. There are also reports that it is useful in the prevention of bladder and kidney stones.

Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "

hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  2:11:23 PM  Show Profile
If you want to feed ACV to farm animals Cheval makes a great product that is Brewers Yeast, ACV, and Garlic called Bug-B-Gone. It worked great for my horses.

Dawn will kill fleas on your pets, but it's very drying to their coats. Frontline and Advantage are excellent monthly spot ons. I've had three bad reactions in my brood to Revolution.

And, I sprayed my outer walls with Precor last year. It's a flea spray that kills and keeps killing for a year, kills eggs and everything else. I did a lot of shelter rescues and bring the fleas from hell that you can't kill in doing that. Precor was a lifesaver to me. It's very harsh chemicals and I only used it around baseboards, foundations, heater vents, etc...

"A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself."
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries." A A Milne
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  8:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Well, Channah, I surely did not know that ACV would do all that. This MJF site sure gives me information to use!!!! Thanks, Channah.
I agree, the fleas are early this spring. Channah, do I get this ACV at the grocery store?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  9:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marly! So glad this was helpful for you! I know you can get Apple Cider Vinegar at your local health food store so try their. :)
Hugs!!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  03:37:44 AM  Show Profile
Look online and get a few of those "flea lights"

They plug in. Fleas are attracted to the warmth and light and fall into a covered sticky pad

We used these a few years ago when we too had an infestation

OH! And start feeding your dog brewers yeast/garlic tablets! These are found in pet food sections. I get a 1,000 count bottle from KV Vet and Care-A-Lot Pet. Both of these are online
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  04:46:30 AM  Show Profile
A tip I learned at the pet store for fleas in your home is to take Borax and put it on your carpet the scrub it into the fibers and leave it there for at least 2 days before vacuuming it up. Not only does it help absorb oder but It supposedly kills fleas by dehydrating them.

I also buy lemon essential oil and dilute it and put it on my dog (you have to dilute it). I also use it full strength on a bandana around her neck. The fleas hate it.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  07:12:50 AM  Show Profile
may i also add that diatemacious earth is a natural flea and worm product. it is cheap and can be put in carpet or on the dog and in the dog. i use acv and de on our animals here. just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  08:27:14 AM  Show Profile
We also use diatemacious earth on our pets. It works by destroying their outer covering. I don't know how any of you feel about using boric acid, (you can buy it at any pharmacy or Wal-Mart). Years ago when we moved into our house it was infested with fleas. I called a professional exterminator. While he was working in the house I looked at the bucket he was taking the stuff out of and it was just pure boric acid. You can sprinkle it on anything, except your pet, and it will kill the fleas etc. Just sprinkle it around in rugs, carpet, sofas anywhere your pet goes and it will kill them. Leave it overnight and then clean it up with a broom or vacume. It is gentle and won't hurt your pets or you.

Oh and any grocery store, Wal-Mart etc sell Apple cider vinegar. It will be with the regular white vinegar.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic FLEAS already!!!!!! UGH!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page