Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Chronic health problems/injuries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Chronic health problems/injuries Next Topic
Page: of 21

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  12:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Some of us farmgirls are in this situation, and know there are others out there! Perhaps we can be of some encouragment to one another, etc. Lets here from you! Bone issues, permanent injuries, other health issues that can hamper our days and at times quality of life! Solutions that some of you may want to share, easier ways of doing things, etc. I am sure more than a few of us might be struggling with a physical 'handicap' of some type or even with a family member, aging parents, etc. Lets share and support one another, because the 'bad days' can be pretty tough sometimes! Blessings to all, Linda

Country at Heart

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  4:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh Linda, this is a wonderful idea. As we both know we share alot of this. And it has been a blessing to be able to share. My greatest problem is dealing with the fact that I was always a go-getter and now it takes me forever to get anything finished. It seems that I spend more time resting than doing what I actually was trying to work at. On top of that I am responsible for my 86 yr. old mother. She lives by herself, but is very needy. And trying to keep up with what I have to do at home and what she needs, is wearing me down. At times I just feel I'm worthless. Because I just can't contribute to any one need as I should. Please don't think I'm I'm complaining, It's just that I get so angry at myself. But with wonderful people like yourself, our talks do help alot. And one day at a time, is the way I have to go. Thank you Linda for starting this. I do hope others will feel comfortable to add. We can help, support and listen to each other. That in itself is a comfort and blessing.
Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  5:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I am so thankful for the support and encouragement that you have given me! Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:36:18 AM  Show Profile
i like this idea linda. i will post later.happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:58:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherrye! I know you and I have shared some with one another before. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  11:32:44 AM  Show Profile
I believe those who deal with their health issues best have a support system they can count on. when my husband had cancer, my church family helped me get through it.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  07:25:43 AM  Show Profile
good morning girls, just got my chores done. thought i would post here a little at a time. i want to say hats off to you. VERY FEW folks these days care about their older folks. usually they GO somewhere to be cared for.when i was 17 my dad made me promise to never ever put mom in a home. there are extenuating circumstances in that. so my sister cared for her in her healthy days after dad died. then when she required more help i took her full time in our home. thats another post. my point is. you are a worthy and important person and you have the right to feel good. this is my mantra. i tend to be TOO self sacreficing spelling sorry. if we tend to spread ourselves so thin then no one benefits. some one kind enough to care for others like you do is a great human. get some respite for yourself. i was sick with my disability when i cared for mom for 10 years in our home. it was very hard. the right thing to do. hard hard hard.
i am a natural in a hurry girl also. so much to do. i had to learn my limitations when my illness almost took my life for 7 years. no doctor thought i would live to see this day. so here i am still limited but alive and extremely happy. in those 7 years i learned that problems were challenges not yet overcome. i learned more how to see my glass more than half full. it is running over. for an excercise i write 10 things i am greatful for at bedtime. writing it helps me to solidify it in my subconcious before i sleep.
i have extreme severe chronic pain every minute i breath. i have strong crazy drugs to use for it. i choose to feel the pains rather than be dumb stupid from the drugs. since this is a flaw in my liver drugs are not a real option for me. my do not use drug list has thousands of meds i cannot use.yet Jah helps me to have the peace of God that excells all thought.life has been a very BIG experience for me from childhood on. moms illness was genetically passed down to me more than any of her other kids. i was sick and riding ambulances at 5 and 6. they said it was stress. go figure?
mom and i suffered on and off till i was 43.i received the first diagnosis in. we tested mom 3 times to be sure. she was 57 percent deficient in the enzymes required by the liver to make hemoglobin. since then we have learned it can also be aquired by folks. so not just a autosomal dominent genetic flaw but can happen through chemical exposure. the chemicals destroy the enzymes. since they are a cell they then cannot replicate fast enough to keep up with demand in the liver. hence toxcicity in the body. i love bio chemical details. i have not had an ambulance ride in almost a year. it is a fine thing.
we have a saying in this house..any day is a good day above ground. in my case this is very much the case. i have been brought back by doctors 5 times in 4 years. i have things to do. grandkids to watch grow. i dont want to miss a breath of life. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  07:38:30 AM  Show Profile
I just watched video on Frontline last night about aging America. Americans 85 years and older in our society, is the fastest growing segment of our population and expected to reach 20% of the population;if it hasn't already...that's an incredible amount!

One part of the film was about the cost of caring for our seniors and I was just stunned at this figure...Remember this film was made in 2006 so you know medical costs have increased, but they said that for 24-hour care, 7-days a week, over the course of one year... the cost would be over $150,000.00!

Also, studies show that if parents had three or more daughters or daughters-in-law,the parents have a 50% chance of not ending their life in a nursing home.

The name of the video on Frontline is: Living Old--check it out!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/livingold/view/?utm_campaign=viewpage&utm_medium=grid&utm_source=grid

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  07:45:07 AM  Show Profile
thanks melody i will check it out. i truly enjoyed caring for mom even though it was hard. i am sure all us farmgirls feel that way about those we love. i should say i am grateful i could do it. there are folks that cannot. i am in no way saying they are bad. sometimes we have to do things we dont want to. for us we were able to do this for mom and dad.
you know i rarely share with others around me about these things. i hope i dont sound too dramatic. the pains and illnesses of others are valid. i only share to try and pass on some of what i have learned. fibromyalgia and unknown pains others carry i can say i understand their pains. sincerely sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  08:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, NO NO, not too dramatic. Was a rough weekend for a few of us. And sometimes, often, looking at that glass half empty seems to be the case. Between health issues and a major move, I am at that place. Try to fight the feelings every day, sometimes I lose!! I, also, deal with constant pain. Also, prefer to not take the major meds, in fact I dont have the Rx for them. I hate the groggy feeling more than the pain! Lol! I know and am trying to work thru the feelings and move on and be the better, stronger person! My youngest daughter, in another state, is also dealing with a newly diagnosed chronic illness that is rare and could, down the road be life threatening. Life is truly a gift from above and I know that we all need to take things one step at a time and lean on our faiths even more! It is a blessing to me what you shared. I know there is going to be 'light at the end of the tunnel'. And prayers and strength to each one of us who, along with our own issues, are dealing and trying to help with aging parents! Warm wishes to everyone for a good, blessed day! Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  08:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Melody, will look into that video! Thanks for sharing about it! Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  07:42:10 AM  Show Profile
hi linda, guess you and i are alone on this one so far. i was up late last night filling our pond. it was so fun in the warm rain. today is a good day. first it rained hard so i dont need to move irrigation. wondering how ya been feeling lately? i know its an on and off deal. i am tired today but ready to do something.
i thought i would write something positive about my illness. since i seem to focus a lot on pain. so with this came the treatment for attacks. SUGAR CARBS LOL its so great. i know sugar is a bad thing usually. in my case its what they use to stop big attacks. so i self medicate with it at home. if i know i am having problems i eat sugar. lots of it. honey agave white sugar whatever. it helps a lot with the pain. so much fun. yesterday my grandson was here. we opened new bags of candy and dumped them in their jars. he is very modest with his amount. 1 lemon head 4 baby sugar daddies-1 for kissie for when her sugar is low and 1 for mom and dad., 1 jolly rancher, 1 stick licorice. he is a good brother. such love he has for kissie
wondering how your house issue is going? happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  07:47:25 AM  Show Profile
sorry brenda i meant to include you too. sooo sorry. wondering what is going on with your mom? 86 is not young. she still lives alone. that is amazing. i hope i can be that way. i do all i can to be better. sometimes i get tired of trying. when i had mom here it was very hard. good but hard. hope this day finds you all in good spirits happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  08:18:06 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, yes Brenda and I both deal with pain and moms! Today so far seems not so rough! With His strength a better day?!! Doc wants to fit me with ankle/foot brace this month. We will see how that goes? Wont solve pain but will stabalize more maybe? Better day to all of us? Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  1:13:35 PM  Show Profile
If I ever get this house cleaned it will be a miracle. More time resting than doing. Tom did wash the living room windows and screen door. I actually can see my neighbors. hahaha All I need to do now is get this craft/computer room organized and then well start on the bedroom. We'll pull all the furniture out and clean good and then paint. I'm doing it sage green. Mom got me a new white conforter, not the heavy down, more a light weight one. Then she got me a little green/white small flowered bed skirt. I'm going to make my curtains and pillows in several different fabrics. Then I got a set of five tin oblong tiles with door knobs on them. They will go above my bed. I think its going to look nice. I HOPE!
But with the way that I hurt, it is taking forever. Sherry I just had back surgery April 12th for 2 disc and still have another one ahead of me. Not sure I'm going to do that. We'll see if I improve with this one. So far, NO. My leg is even hurting again. Then with the fibromyalgia it's always something. Then I have RA in my neck, back, hips, shoulder's. But I'll deal with the pain, right now I really don't want to take anymore pills than I already do. Anyway, didn't mean to get into all that. Mentally and spirtually today I'm doing good. I like to know that I have accomplished something today. And the pain situation, I just deal with day by day. I also have started a gratitude list. #1 is always that I'm able to get up. Then the list is really not hard to do. I guess today my half full not empty. Linda, I do belive the laughs we had yesterday was the best medicine. Thanks girlfriend. I do hope that you both are doing better today. Check back later.
Hugs, Brenda
Will attempt to tell alittle about mom then.

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  8:19:08 PM  Show Profile
glad you had a good day,me too. so fun sharing plants. today i had folks come and get plants. went to blood doctor. discussed cymbalta spelling? know nothing about it. does anyone else know anything. also he said i could use methadone. i have nerve damage from the lining of the nerve being burned by porphyrin. well i said no thanks for now. i really prefer no drugs. but to function there is an allowance they allow me. i never use all they want me to. i throw dishes a lot. so i learned to buy correlle.lol i also fall a lot. so i wear good shoes. i am in bed by now. rest is key. papa got my greenhouse set today. so tomorrow yipee garden starts here i come. any way life is good happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  8:53:43 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye I hope your day planting will be a relaxing day. I know that it will wear on you body but being outside in the fresh air and digging in the dirt. Can't get much better. I am so sorry that you have such pain, sometimes we have to do something to ease it up some. But I know what you say about taking all those med's. I agree, rest is very important. Have a good day and you also Linda. Hugs, Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, or any of you, do you have raised garden beds? I saw in a magazine where a lady's husband built a saw horse platform for her. This way she didn't have to bend over or kneel down.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  4:56:43 PM  Show Profile
DH usually just sets my planters up on the patio table and I fill them. Then he places them where I want them. The tending to and watering is easy. I can set my little stool there and dehead when needed. But I know better than to get down on the ground, I'd never get up! I'd love raised beds but we are renting and they don't want that sort of thing. I'll tell you, this getting older sure does slip up on you before you know it. The problem is my body feels the getting older but the mind still thinks I'm 30's.HAHAHA And I just continue to dream.

Hugs, Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  8:13:43 PM  Show Profile
hi girls, no i dont have raised beds. i do have friends who help. i can do a lot when i have good days. i also have a golf cart. i have a problem getting enough air. so walking and running are a challenge. standing in one place i can do pretty good. i had a good day. challenging but still a good day. i have to say. when i went to the doctor my blood dr. i needed a lab draw. so i had to go where i used to get my iron infusions to have any blood at all. it was a long 7 yrs. so there i was back in there, the chemo room.the first time in 7 months. i was again humbled by what i saw. it was hard going there for so many years. i am so grateful i am not needing those infusions now. 6 doctors and none knows why i was so sick with the anemia and why i am better now. i still have the porphyrias but at least i am home to be sick.i used to have to go 2 times a week to stay alive. so i am a happy girl. my labs came back that i am still ok on blood. yipee happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  9:04:53 PM  Show Profile
Sherry that is wonderful news! You go girl, the Lord is watching over you and all your farm gal friends are praying for a complete recovery. Prayers do bring miracles. It had to be hard going back where you had you infusions. But look where you are today. I pray for all those that are still needing that care that there will be a cure for all these things so many of us here are dealing with.

Blessings, Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  07:18:04 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning, well i slept so good last night. it is a fine thing. brenda and linda how are you today. Do you have your raised boxes planted this year yet? hoping you are having a fine morning. it is raining here today again. sure does not look like the desert around here now. lol hoping to scoop poop today. then i have some farm gals i am going to help. then home to call wells again. any hoot hope all is well with you girls today. hope you have a blessed day. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Doing container veg garden on the apt balcony. Was going to try raised beds where I lived before. Dwarf fruit trees work well too for an easier maintenance! Thanks for bringing the ideas up Kathy! Today and yesterday fair days and I am greatful! Sun shining here and that is a blessing! Have a wonderful day! Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  08:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Doing pretty good today! Still cleaning on house and it's being to look better. Main project today is to tackle this craft room. Tom's going to help so it doesn't take me another week to get it done. I use to be very organized but I tell you lately it just gets away from me. We have a lovely week ahead of us as far as the weather guys say so we're planing on working outside. Can't wait! Sherrye and Linda glad to hear you have both had some good days. Enjoy today!
Later and Big Hugs, Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  08:16:31 AM  Show Profile
well since i was on here i crashed big time. wow. as i get older i become more sensitive to things in my environment. i had gone to chemo room..chemicals..went to store..chemicals..did my sisters horse big chemicals. what is she thinking? went to plant sale,,chemicals.. soooo ended up sick. i dont think i need to add details but miserable sick. here only shall i speak it. scared me thought i was going in an ambulance. managed to get thru with ice cream candy bars cinnamon rolls vicodin nauseau meds muscle relaxer. i have to stop the pain before i can stop the attack. the pain escalates the attack. then the sugar. LOADS of it. then no stress and safe house. it truly was difficult. i used no morphine this time. today frail weak happy aching cup is full. sun is out. we are all still here. its a happy day on the farm. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  3:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye I'm so glad you was able to get it under control. Sorry you had to go through that. Please take care my dear friend. Let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Chronic health problems/injuries Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page