Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Seborrheic Dermatitis??????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Seborrheic Dermatitis?????? Next Topic  

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Anyone know anything about Seborrheic Dermatitis? I just came up with it about a month ago and it is driving me nuts. I am using a shampoo from the Dr. but it doesn't seem to help much. I can't stand the itching.
Thanks all
Laura

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  3:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Although it's got a rap for being carcinogenic, coal tar shampoos such as Ionil-T really work. Might be worth trying for a while, or intermittently, until the condition is under control. Are you sure of this diagnosis, though? Could be you're just allergic to something in your regular shampoo, or a styling product.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  4:01:27 PM  Show Profile
I tried every thing the drs prescribed for my DD1 and nothing worked, I finally kept reading on here people going soap/shampoo free, and only using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. After 6 months of trying every chemical the drs prescribed I thought what the heck, I'm spending a fortune on stuff that is full of chemicals and not doing a thing for DD. So give the crazy baking soda idea a try. That was 4 years ago. We haven't looked back since! The first time it got rid of all her outer signs of dermatitis and never came back! DD2 was born the same way, so I just started her out with baking soda, took 2 times for DD2 to completely have no outward signs of it. But, been happy ever since. I say it's worth a try!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JulieJ
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Julie
In The Trees MD
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  08:38:56 AM  Show Profile
I was diagnosed with the same thing. The Rx shampoo made it worse. Turns out I'm now allergic to the plastic on the arm of my glasses. If i wear contacts it goes away. Still trying to find something to cover the arm with.

Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2011 :  3:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I have this too and am being treated for that, as well as rosacea and eczema (eyelids only.) Aren't I lucky... And, to tell the truth, I can't tell where one begins and the other ends. I was advised by my dermatologist to change detergents to the "free and clear" brands (which I can't stand the smell of)...or Dreft, the baby detergent. I chose it because of the mild scent. It's working fine. I had to change brands of toilet paper and tampons as well as begin using a special soap on my face and sensitive parts. I have ended up with an organic goats milk soap purchased at my local health-food store - Calmus, I believe, is the brand - for sensitive skin. It is hardy enough to remove my make-up, but doesn't dry or irritate. None of the recommended store brand lotions or soaps worked on my face and sensitive regions. So far, so good.

I do have trouble with lotions and I have chronically dry skin. I've discovered that I need something that is paraben and sulfate free - they seem to work the best. Now, I hope I don't contradict myself, but I've been using a home-made recipe that doesn't irritate either. It is 30 oz. of johnson's baby lotion - whatever scent you choose. To that, add 1 large container of petroleum jelly - watch out you don't get the nursery scent unless you want it. And, two containers of vitamin e cream - I use Fruit of the Earth from Wal-Mart - sold in two-packs. Dump all of these into a large bowl, hit with your electric mixer, then decant into whatever will hold it. I've given little pots away as gifts - and keep a large rubber-maid style container in my bathroom for me. It tends to be a bit greasy - that's the vaseline, but doesn't stain and it will absorb. It's great for feet (cover with socks for super smooth feet) and hands - those of you in arid climates may benefit best and it's great for winter skin.

Shampoo - my hairdresser finally talked me into salon products - which, happen to be sulfate free. I have dry hair that's naturally curly, so that makes it extra dry. I use Joico shampoo and conditioner and it's worked great. It's an expensive investment, but I don't have to use as much. A liter pump bottle will cost me about $28.00, but last for 6 months...and I have long hair. The conditioner lasts even longer. Break that down to a monthly expense and it's less than $10.00 a month for shampoo and conditioner - and unless you use the really cheap stuff, you're spending that already.

My whole process has been about identifying and eliminating my triggers. I can barely stand the toner my hairdresses uses after she colors my hair. My scalp will be sore and itchy for 3-4 days...but I hate gray hair even worse. (Vanity has it's price.) I try to watch my diet (which is another post in and of itself) and look for foods that target an irritation. Journaling helps - it may be something you want to try. The more I look (and I hate shopping) the more natural products I'm seeing. It's encouraging...especially since the prices are finally coming down.

And Julie - have you tried coating the arm with clearn nail polish? It may be something you have to do on a regular basis. My mom is allergic to anything but gold jewelry (lucky girl...all her stuff is real!...or lucky me, I'll inherit!) and had to do this for costume jewelry - like clasps on necklaces. She said it would wear off in time, so she kept a little bottle with in her jewelry box. It may be worth a try - especially when your eyes need a break from the contacts.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  7:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Yep! That's what I was going to suggest, Julie. I think some jewelery companies also sell coating stuff.

I suffer from sebborhatic (sp?) dermatitis. That shampoo is the ONLY thing that's helped me. I tried baking soda and ACV, dandruff shampoos, Lush Cosmetic's shampoos which are SLS, and (some) are paraben free...nothing except that RX really helps. I mix the RX stuff with whatever else I'm using at the moment.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have this too. Mostly smack dabb in the middle of my face, yuck. My eyebrows, side of my nose, top of my nose, chin, cheeks, behind the ears and indeed scalp. It itches like CRAZY. Nothing helps me, I went to a drematologist in Thailand last year and he prescribed something for me that DID wonders! I have bought some this year again to tie me over till next year since it is NOT available here.

I have tried everything under the moon and more, had prescribed creams etc...nothing helps. Just the cream from Thailand and I have NO idea what is all in it lol....as long as it helps....

Stress is also a factor that makes it worse...hence the reason why I am covered in it at the moment.

Holly...your story could have been written by me. I too have very dry skin and very dry, curly hair...rosacea and eczema as well, YUP we´re the lucky ones....NOT!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Seborrheic Dermatitis?????? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page