Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Building Immunity ina 9year old
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Building Immunity ina 9year old Next Topic  

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  08:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Ok, so since January my daughter has had strep throat 2 times, one time ending up in the , and woke up again with all the same symptoms
(the 3rd time now)-swollen tonsils-fever... How can I build her immunity up? I was reading up on it and it says someone in our family could possibly be a carrier (probably me since I had my tonsils removed around 8 years old due to strep), the antibiotics she has been on arent strong enough and havent fully cured it, OR she has a weakened immune systems. How can I boost that?She takes vitamins, we eat a balanced diet... what else does she need. I am at my whits end, and with no insurance since last month, due to hubby being without a job I am freaking out.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  08:37:27 AM  Show Profile
Is your daughter in public school? There may be children that have strep that aren't being treated and they will just continue to spread it around. If there is a health food store available or go online maybe search out what natural ways to boost. For sore throats I rely on a mix of half and half vinegar and honey and give the kids a soup spoon full four times a day. The vinegar gets rid of the infection and the honey soothes the throat. They haven't had strep but have had some wicked sore throats this past winter/early spring. It seemed to help and may help to ease the pain of the strep. Good luck it's awful when your child is sick.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 girls that have immune issues. I did a ton af research and found out some interesting things about the vitamin industry. They have to make the vitamins weak enough so a whole bottles worth would only make a child of normal health very sick, but not dead. The recommended vitamin dose is only enough to keep a perfectly healthy person who is eating a perfect diet going for a couch potato lifestyle. If the person isn't perfectly healthy or if they don't sit on the couch all day or don't eat a perfect diet, they aren't enough. My girls are very active and have immune issues and don't eat a perfect diet. I have them on a regimin of vitamins in the morning and evening, except during spring and fall or a major outbreak of something. Then it's double dose in the morning and single dose in the evening. We didn't get swine flu this year even though there was 112 kids in our school system and 2 teachers who had it! I am on the same regimin and have twice the energy I had 3 years ago! It's a very personal and scary choice to break from the "experts" rules and live outside the accepted norm. I am not telling you to do this with your child. I wouldn't want anyone to tell me to do something that seemed crazy with my kids. I am telling you this so you can research it for yourself if you want to. I can try to locate some of the books at the library that I used for my research and send you the titles and stuff if you'd like. Drop me an email if you'd like the info. Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  9:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Angela at this point I am willing to try anything. I would love to know the names of those books. Ingrid,I am going to try the vinegar and honey tomorrow. Thank you

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  11:12:42 PM  Show Profile
We've been through a rough patch with both daughters this past year or so. THe older one, mono-strep-candidis-etc. I put her on licorice and astragulus to build her liver and immunity. Acidophilus+ for the yeast. We all used colliodal silver spray last fall and all avoided (except youngest daughter)getting the piggy flu.

We've been drinking a detox water.... she said it's making her feel better. I know I like it and can certainly tell it's detoxing. I cut up fresh ginger root, lemons, cucumbers and mint. Put in a quart of water and drink throughout the day.

Lot's of good vitamins with extra Vit-D.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  12:27:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to the library this week. I'll look those books up and write down the titles and authors. I am really serious about doing things as natural as possible and I'm almost obsessive about nutrition and health. I even tell my girls if all they eat is junk I won't take them to the doctor when they get the sniffels or a sour stomach. They won't even ask to go unless they are really sick or have tried my vitamin and diet regimin for at least a week. And boy oh boy do they have to go out of their way to get junk food in our house. My oldest likes to work for it at her grandmas house, but my rule still stands, so she eats healthy for meals here and only snacks on the junk a little as a treat. My girls have had the misfortune of seeing exactly what a life of bad nutrition will do to them by watching my husbands parents. They believe what I tell them about health, they just don't like all the work involved to stay healthy. Typical kids, but they don't gripe too much so I let the sighs and huffing slide. My girls all know the healthiest way to prepare nearly anything and will eat most all vege and fruits that exist. I love that they know what salsify is and will beg for brussel sprouts! Not too many parents these days can say that honestly and it makes me proud!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile
howdy girls, i am auto-immune deficient. i use only braggs RAW apple cider vinegar. you need the crumbs in the bottom of the glass jar. shake before use. i also use honey. it must be LOCAL RAW UNFILTERED. you get the propilis spelling sorry and all the live enzymes. i do this every am. teaspoon each. you can put in hot water or just eat it. i chew the wax after. good for teeth. this is just what i do. i try to eat my way to healthy. vitamins are synthetic and OR processed so very much. blue green algae or barley grass or seaweed is a great immune booster as is alfalfa sprouts. i also use braggs amino acid (taste like soy sauce) instead of soy sauce. just one opinion happy days sherrye

raw honey that is local is excellent for allergies also.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  03:33:55 AM  Show Profile
You also have to do vitamin research!

Some are fat soluable, some are water soluable.

Can't remember which is better, but you end up peeing out most of what is ingested.

More also is not necessairly better. So the vitamins with the mega doses are suited for folks like cancer patients or very ill people who aren't able to eat much

And good 'ole fashioned hand washing with hot soapy water and keeping hands away from faces can't hurt either
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  03:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, My youngest daughter who is now 24 used to get chronic bronchitis, and her older sister used to get strep throat all the time. However, this only lasted for a season(fall, winter, spring) then was something they only got once in a while. Maybe this will make you feel better! :)
Anyways, I am in complete agreement with Angela! I was the one who kept getting sick all the time, and when I started researching vitamins, I realized that I wasn't getting enough of some that I really needed, and didn't need some of what was in the multi's. So, I came up with my own regimen.
You live in the cold, dark north also, studies have shown those of us who live up north need extra vitamin D during the winter. It does a whole bunch of good things for us, but really helps to boost the immune system. Since I've been taking it, I have not been sick, other than minor sniffles once. The recommended dose for adults was 400 iu a day, I started taking 4,000 iu's a day, then dropped back to 1,000 a day over the winter. Now, if I have days where I am in the sun a lot, I don't take one that day. I have not been able to find out how much extra D for kids to take, my daughter gives her kids drops of Vitamin D, and elderberry extract when they feel like they are getting sick. Elderberry is great to take, right at the first sign of getting something.
I am going to start taking vinegar and honey too, I keep reading all sorts of good things about both of them.
It's no fun when your kids get sick all the time, especially with no insurance. Let us all know how she's doing!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Building Immunity ina 9year old Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page