Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Natural remedies for morning sickness?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Natural remedies for morning sickness? Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  03:52:13 AM  Show Profile
Not for me!!!
My second daughter is due with baby #4 around Christmas- hurray this will make 8 grand kids for me!!
Anyway, her morning sickness seems to get worse with each pregnancy. With the last one, she was hospitalized for a short time for dehydration, and put on medication, the name escapes me right now, but begins with a z.
So- she has been trying to healthy up her family, use green and organic when possible, and we are searching for natural remedies to help her feel better.
Anyone have any ideas?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  04:55:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda,
Here are some ideas:
50 mg vitamin B6 at bedtime. This one is easy and works well for a lot of people

Keep blood sugar levels even by eating a source of protien every 2 hrs. This can be meat, beans, cheese, peanut butter / other nut butter, eggs. It does not have to be a huge amt of food. If using dairy, have dairy with a complex carb like whole wheat bread or brown rice pudding. Stay with whole grains and complex carbs as much as possible.

Teas that can help are spearmint, peppermint, fennel, anise seed, red raspberry leaf, and ginger ( from the plant, not flavored black tea.)
Chrystalized ginger is very portable and can be very helpful. Ginger is well studied for safety.

Eating a whole hard boiled egg or a plain doughnut (?) can help

Take a break from prenatal vitamins if needed.

Eat crackers of dry toast upon arising. Have a complex carb snack at bedtime.

Pickles, the old standby, may help due to vinegar. Some women are not game for it, but a tsp of cider vinegar in water can help first thing in the am.

Walking , free from clinging or very active childern ( if she has any such children- we all seem to have those at some point!) is great for clearing out extra horemones from the sytem, and stabilizing the hormonal overflow that is in part causing the morning sickness. When the blood volume expands around 12 weeks, many women begin to feel better on their own. Meanwhile, walking can help.
Acupuncture can work wonders and I have even seen it used to nip hyperemesis gravidarum, which may be what your daughter had last time. There are homeopathic remedies too, but they are all case specific.
If she is throwing up all the time, post again, and I will change the food ideas. Meanwhile, I have to go to work!
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  06:28:55 AM  Show Profile
I ate plain dry cheerios before I got out of bed in the morning. I also ate a little bit of ginger and used sea bands. They are a pressure bracelet that hits a pressure point to help with nausea. They sell them in the drugstore with the travel sickness items. On days when it was really bad I used some meclizine, a tiny tiny amount, and thats good for motion sickness, but for me it quited down the nausea. I also had a few weeks that I lived on mostly mashed potatoes. Good luck to her, I know how hard it is.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  06:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I kept dry Cheerios and crackers by my bed and ate them before I got up. I kept peppermint candies close by.

If I ate breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner I was ok. Even if it was just crackers and tea.

Mine was fairly light and was gone after the first three months.

God Bless.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  07:18:28 AM  Show Profile
its been so long ago. i was so sick with each boy i would be down till after 1 or 2 in the day. maybe the farmgirls know if i am right or not. seems to me that if you are lacking in folic acid it makes the sickness worse. just a thought. i am so sorry for her. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  8:31:32 PM  Show Profile
I felt ill with this pregancy too for the first 5 months. I sipped Raspberry Leaf tea, good old ice cold water. I also kept my food fare light and easy to digest,things like crackers, fruits, oatmeal.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  04:10:15 AM  Show Profile
I want to thank you girls for the help!
I passed these ideas on to my daughter, and we are hoping to see some improvement soon.
I know I had heard of some of these things before, but it's nice to have it all in one place.
It is a constant illness with her, not just in the morning, so anything she can do is great!
Personally I think she is having another boy, as I don't remember her being this sick with her oldest, Ella, but progressively worse with the boys!
I will let you know how she is doing.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Keep us posted!!
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Natural remedies for morning sickness? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page