Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anti-Depressants and weight gain!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anti-Depressants and weight gain! Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  9:49:43 PM  Show Profile
I have been taking Celexa for several months now for severe bouts of depression, which, by the way, just stink! But I am wondering if any one else here has gained a ton of weight on an anti-depressant and was/is there some trick for losing it? I have taken several other anti depressants and have not experienced this kind of rapid weight gain.

Anyhoo, just be warned, if your doc gives you Celexa, you may gain a lot of weight.

Right now I'm trying to put away the miles each day walking and hopefully will lose some of my tubby-ness.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  07:24:34 AM  Show Profile
I am in the same boat...same drug. It beats being depressed except you get depressed about the weight. I am going to the pool 2 times a week and the gym once. Thats all the schedule with the little one allows....and he is on summer vacation soon. I will take him to the pool but its not the same as exercising by myself. My DR told me celexa was one of the better drugs for not gaining weight. Who knows.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  7:32:43 PM  Show Profile
i also know 2 people who gained a lot of weight on it. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  9:30:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm on Celexa and haven't gained from it. But I'm also on diabetes meds and did gain from them. All in all, I'd rather be where I am and not depressed.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

just4karyn
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

karyn
n.highlands ca
USA
60 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  9:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
I am on the same boat you are all on I take Zoloft for severe anxiety and bouts of depression I gained 50 lbs over the last 5 years beacuse of it.. it's a side effect of the drug,but I have to take it or I wouldn't be here at all my mom who was my best friend in the whole world died last mothers day 2009 and if it wasn't for my husband sons and very caring doctor I would have ended it but I try and go on even with the extra weight I feel bad that I weigh this much and really cried when I went looking for a bathing suit this last week because I never was heavy and modeled for years..so this was tough but hey your all here and sometimes we have to learn to take the bad with the good walking and gardening really helps so hang in there and just LOVE YOURSELF.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anti-Depressants and weight gain! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page