Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 School Home Ec Club?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic School Home Ec Club? Next Topic  

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  4:33:35 PM  Show Profile
I teach at an elementary school and was thinking about sponsoring a home ec type of club next year. I'd like to do one project a month starting with making a simple apron, so that the kids could learn basic homekeeping skills. I was thinking that I may even want to spin off from the farmgirl sisterhood and do some sort of badges. I guess I need to join to get ideas! At any rate, what do you guys think, and what are some ideas for simple projects?

Thanks! Sherri

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  6:17:40 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good. A lot of kids are not getting that kind of instruction anymore.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile
That sounds so familiar! When I was in grade 6 at a public school, we had home economics and the very first thing we made is a simple apron and I still have it!
Go to Top of Page

pumpkinvine
True Blue Farmgirl

179 Posts

Amy

USA
179 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  8:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I have my first apron too, I think from Home Ec in 8th grade! I think your idea for a Home Ec Club is great!

Amy from Lompoc
Farmgirl Sister #119
http://www.pumpkincupcake.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  8:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Making essential oil air freshener (with corresponding teaching about essential oils)
Simple cooking skills
Making bread
Making butter
Canning jam (see a theme?)
couponing
making a simple skirt, curtains, tote bag or pillow case
crocheting a potholder or using a hat loom
easy weaving project
rag rug
kitchen chemistry experiments
simple gardening
sprouting
flower arranging
journaling/making the journal

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Melbick
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Melanie
Venus TX
USA
81 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  9:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Melbick a Yahoo! Message
Sherri that is a great idea. you could also check with your state 4H online, all thier publications and program materials are free for download and print. Check other states as well, because strangly enough I have found differant things in differant states.

Melanie Bickham
FarmGirl Sister #1475
Homegrown Girls
http://thebickhamfamily.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  10:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Angie...you gave some great Ideas! Sherri that is one of my Pet Peeves is that girls/boys come out of school and don't know how to cook, sew, do laundry, etc. I had 3 boys and I made them take Home Ec (though it wasn't called that anymore) because I told them that they could not depend on marrying a girl that knew how to do those things. So, all three of my boys help their wives with all the house-hold chores. I am glad they did pick women who could do those things also, but my boys help with all aspects of running a home and I am proud of them. Even my husband does his own laundry!

Proud to be the Mother (AND WIFE) of REAL MEN!
~PEGGY

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  05:17:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to put out feelers for a co-sponsors. Any ideas for a name that would appeal to boys as well? Survivor Skills Club? LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  09:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Have had this conversation with friends about kids not getting a real home ec education in schools nowadays...We started in 4th grade with 4H, alternating sewing and cooking, baking, outdoor cooking...by the time we got to 7th grade and home ec at school we were making our own dresses. My girls, on the other hand, made pillows (from a kit) in 8th grade...that was the extent of the sewing and didn't learn how the basics about cooking, measuring, etc...As you can see, I can get really worked up about this subject!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  12:49:39 PM  Show Profile
You may want to talk to your Jr. High Home Ec teacher. Two of my girls took Jr. High home Ec. and boy did the teacher hate them. They were both far advanced in the sewing portion of the class and seriously ahead of the cooking section of the class. They ended up getting poor grades and hating the teacher and the class because she constantly got on to them because they knew how to do things and were ahead of the rest of the class. Instead of appreciating the fact that they already knew how to thread a sewing machine, she walked up behind them and yanked the thread out of the machine and told them to never, ever get ahead of the rest of the class again. After that I wanted to "yank" them out of the class but didn't. I will always regret that.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  5:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Sherri...I like Survivors Club!

Beth...we should have voted that teacher off the Island! LOL

Blessings,