kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  3:32:17 PM  Show Profile
I hate clothes! I hate trying on clothes. I look like a big fat pig in those rooms with the florescent lights. I can never find anything I like. When I do it's too expensive. Or too small. Or too big. I wish I had Stacy and Clinton to help me see what I need to look halfway decent in. I am just having a hard time finding things I like that don't make me look like I am 500 pounds. (I am not 500 pounds. I just feel like it when I am trying on clothes and in those awful rooms.)

And my DD is graduating this Sat. I went today to look for a blouse to wear with a skirt I already have. I see all kinds of nice clothes I would like to have but then try them on and they look horrid on me. Why? I would just rather not wear anything anymore the way I feel. Just stay home. And my DD is also getting married soon. What will I do then? I will have to go. Ugh!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I feel for you. Every time I try anything on lately it's the same way. Too short, too long, too tight, and not things you can fix without changing the style. Stacy and Clinton love those tops that just look like maternity tops on me. All I can say is, take a big breath and relax. Do you already have something that you like in your closet that you could wear? If you don't, is there someone who can shop with you and be objective? That's usually what it takes for me. First I look through my closet for an alternative, and then if there is nothing there, I call my mom for some shopping advice. Good luck. Oh, and you mention the dressing room lights; try going out of the dressing room into the store and see if things look different. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:54:15 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I feel for you. I hate to shop for clothes too. That's why I am a T-shirt and blue jeans girl. I feel comfortable in them and I dress up when I have to. I even wear the World's Softest Sock by Hanes most of the time too. They are so comfy and I probably look like an old lady, but that's what I am.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry Kristin! I really feel for you. I hate trying on clothes. I would rather stay at home all day because no one can see me and I can wear my sweat shirts and skirts.
Sending you tons of hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Well Michele, I have about 8 t-shirts and maybe 3 don't have a stain on them. 2 pairs of jeans and 1 of the short pants that I am wearing now because it's too hot to wear jeans. But I don't wear them out. I wear jeans. I have maybe 6" in the closet. My hubby takes up the rest. Honestly. He has so many clothes. It's not fair. I also have 3 skirts. And 1 pair of sandels that I have had for about 3 years now and the heels are worn down to the rubber. I hate shoes too. I have the plastic garden clog shoes too. And a pair of muck boots. Oh, and a black pair of flats. So ya'll see what I am up against?

Ok, my mom is a perfect size nothing. She can go in any store and find all kinds of nice stuff. She doesn't even try on anything. ANd the perfect shoe size too. I feel like crap when I shop with her. She's always asking me if I have found anything yet. Well no because there is usually not anything pretty and cute in size TOO BIG! Have ya'll ever noticed that pretty clothes stop at about size 14? Nothing looks good after that. Nothing. It looks like a sack or a mumu.

Ok, I am not in a good mood apparently. I will stop now. Sorry.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile
I hate clothes shopping,too. I refuse to pay big $$ for an outfit I'm not totally crazy about. So I shop thrift stores. I find really nice name brand things that someone probably wore a few times. Of course you might have to look frequently if you're looking for a certain type of garment, but I generally find what I need.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  11:01:10 PM  Show Profile
I always said I was going to start "Spare Tire Fashions" for those of us Real Women!

When I had to go to an event a couple of years ago, I was forced to go to the stores looking for "nice clothes" [as if boots and jeans aren't nice].
All this stuff looked like it was made for teenagers who where size 3!
[This was down in Arizona]. Didn't they know there where grown up women who didn't want to look like the local hookers! Or worse yet, a fruit popsicle?!
I finally waited to buy the clothes when I was coming through Colorado.

I'm not interested in shopping for clothes because they don't make clothes for normal people.
Case in point, looking around the local J.C.Pennys.
When I was looking at the nice dresses [formal wear] they had some really pretty designs, but not in my size. When I asked the sales person where the dresses where in my size, she pointed across the isle to another area. When I moved over to the area with my size, all of the sudden these formal dresses lost all their attachments! The fabric flowers where not draped down one side. The sparkly taffata overlay was gone. There was no dress with a split [or even a waist]. These things looked like something for Margaret Dumont to wear to a funeral!

I gave up clothes shopping a loooong time ago.
Now that I'm learning to sew, I'm hoping to make NICE clothes for me to wear and maybe even design clothes for those of us over 40 or over size 10.

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  04:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Carla, I am with you!! I to hate clothes shopping. . . it is a shame how they treat those of us that do not have a Barbie Doll figure! I have recently started on a clothing line for Real Women. . . My goal is to make ready made pieces and offer the patterns for sale as well. This will give you the opportunity to decide whether you wish to purchase a finished piece or create your own using your choice of fabrics and accessories.

Right now I am working on a basic jacket and a vest. . . these can be dressed up or down depending on the event. Next will be the basic blouse and skirt. . . I will keep all you you posted!

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:01:58 AM  Show Profile
Fist of all...sending you big (((hugs))) Second, I am so glad to be reading this post. I HATE shopping for clothes. Just going into a store and knowing that I have to look for someting makes my skin crawl. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with this.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:23:48 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad I'm not alone on this. I do shop thrift stores and have found t shirts to wear around here while I'm working. So I really don't mind if they get dirty and stained. But I would like to look nice when I go to town. And it's so true how the bigger size clothes are so drab and just plain ole ugly. Maybe at Lane Bryant they have some nicer clothes but I don't even see things there that I like.

Joanna, I need to learn to sew. I have always wanted to make clothes. At least just some skirts. That seems pretty easy to do. There is someone near Dalton that said she has sewing classes. I just need to go. Then I can just whip something up and be happy with it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile
The other thing that makes me mad about larger clothes is they size them up exponentially so that the shoulder seams hang half-way down my arm and the sleeves are so long they hit me mid hand. I sew my own so that they really fit. Have you checked out Jessica London, on line? Sometimes they have some nice dress up clothes. I hate trying on clothes in the stores as well - the dressing rooms make everyone look fat, tired, and sick. Not a good way to sell clothes if you ask me. The majority of us are a size 14 and up so who are they designing for anyway? I hope you find something.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sheri. I have the same thing happen with the shoulders. Yuck! I will check her out. Does she make plus sizes?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile
Hummmm. Looked at the Jessica London site.
Did you notice that the clothes are modeled by "models"?

We have to imagine those clothes on bigger women. A GREAT portion of those tops would be awful on people with a full bust or like me, a spare tire.
And I know better then to buy empire waist dresses. Eeek! Elephant in a dress!

Sooo. For those of you who are sewing savy, and since Sheri already mentioned the fact that they just upsize the whole thing instead of making sure they really fit, what way can clothes be designed to fit a real size person?

Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  10:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Kris, Sending BIG Hugs your way! I bring clothes home to try on! Unless I'm thrift store shopping, then I either try on or just buy and hope for the best! I'm tall, so have those issues. There are clothes out there for + size women. Trying to find them is a problem and I am NOT a shopper - don't like to clothes shop at all. Garden centers, I'm all about that! Have you tried JC Penney catalog??? Think they might have something!
Hugs, Ruth
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  1:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Hello! hope this is the right section, I am looking for coulottes pattern, does any one remember these, do you have old patterns, I could buy or know where I might look for pattern.
These are the things that are pants, or shorts but looks like a skirt. Thanks for all your help! Farmgirl #946
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  5:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Kris all the women I admire, have created their own unique style and most of their clothes come from the Hospice thrift stores or the Jr League and Cancer Society thrift stores. I tend to dress like a mix of Bohemian and Audrey Hepburn. Hope that doesnt make your head spin.

What style are you looking for? Since I live here in the CA Sierras I can get away with dressing akin to someone from Berkeley or some other laid back area.

And to be serious, I like the dentist far more than shopping for clothes.

~Beth~

~I am the best of France and California~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  7:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, I live on a farm with gardens and goats and cows and chickens. So I am always dirty. I only go to town now if I need to. I will be going to the farmer's market soon so really would like to look nice. I am more hippy farmgirl, I guess. I love skirts and the short pants, but not short shorts anymore for me. I am in jeans and a tee in cooler weather but now it's getting too hot for jeans. I want something that doesn't make me look like a cow in a skirt. I do go to thrift stores but the last few times have not found a thing. I like the way you describe your look. I like ecclectic different but not too much. And if I were not almost 52 I would have dred locks. I love them. Maybe I could do a partial. Anyway, I am odd and that's ok.

Linda, I hope you find what you are looking for. Maybe you could post about it and someone would be able to help you. There are so many ladies that sew here and might have a nice pattern for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile
What's age gotta do with how you wear your hair?? Me, I'm a hippie type too but love to wear the Edwardian style white lacy stuff with overalls! Skirts don't look as bunchy around the waist if you stay away from gathers at the waist or elastic - I try to stay away from either as they make me look like I gained 10 lbs. If I lived closer, I'd whip up something that would fit you. I hope you find something. JC Penny does get some cute stuff from time to time. I agree with the empire waist - it makes my boobs and shoulders look huge.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  8:52:18 PM  Show Profile
I just heaved a big ol' sigh of relief at not being the only person who does not care to shop! I've been postig about" Branching Out in Farmgirl Fashion," since I am trying to upgrade my sewing skills and create a new fall wardrobe BEFORE fall!
I just don't like the fibers and styles , never mind the workmanship, of clothes from the store. Nor do I like the price! Don't get me started on the quest for comfy cotton underwear that do not fall apart or wear out almost right away!
It's nice to hear from others who feel the same way. Well, nobody mentioned undies, but otherwise, we seem to be on a wavelength.

As for cullottes patterns, I would google it. I bet you can find one in a modern pattern without having to dig up something that would take longer to find. I wonder if Kwik Sew has something.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  9:53:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm a larger woman and I have better luck with two piece outfits. I used to only wear dresses(before Floyd), but now I wear stretch pull-on jeans and usually knit tops. I have 2 outfits that my daughter bought me when my mother died four years ago that look nice, and they're in my closet for when I need to wear a dress. One has 3/4 sleeves , so will work for winter and fall. We got them at Fashion bug. I have bought dresses at Catos. I just ordered a pull-on denim dress(knee length) from Blair. We'll see. I like the longer dresses,but just don't look good in them. I have one I bought at Cracker Barrell that I used to like until I saw a picture of me. Other people liked it. It is bright blue with a jewelled flag on itand other small trim near hemline. I get a lot of comments when I wear it, but thinking about it, I believe it's the color more than anything else. One man said "I like your chest--I mean your flag!" That's a joke now between Floyd and me. I have a bright orange top also that everyone likes, so look for a color that really sets you off. I gave up on empire waist dresses, too.
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  9:21:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey, sisters thanks for your help, went to an antique show in our town, and wow found 2 patterns, I bought them both, and even made a pair this evening, I love them. Gonna make more, it is to hot for blue jeans, we have had 91 degrees. I also agree nothing in the stores for almost 60 yrs old. Blouses are thin and wispy, great for the younger group. Skirts are too short. Been sewing since I was 12. Make most of my own clothes, but it is nice to find somthing store bought every now and then. Happy Mothers Day! Farmgirl #946
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  04:00:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carla, You asked: "what way can clothes be designed to fit a real size person?" It really starts with your true measurements and then you adjust your pattern pieces accordingly. There are basics to the different sizes, however, for a custom fit that is where you need to make the adjustments for you.

I agree with what all of you are saying, just because we are not a "toothpick" does not mean we need our shoulders to droop, elastic at the waist or a tent to hide us!! Yee gads!! LOL!! That is why I am working on a pattern line for real women. Just hate all the clothes that are "my size" at the box stores. . . yuck.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  04:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I understand how you feel. I myself am rather large-chested. Most of the time I have to buy a medium or large in mens sizes just so it would fit properly over my chest. So it happens that I have droopy armholes, a baggy stomach area, and the sleeves are too long. Not pleasing to look at. So I started sewing my own clothes. That way I can adjust the patterns so I don't look so frumpy. And I can wear more dressier clothes. Good Luck

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  3:51:56 PM  Show Profile
Sissarge, I don't have a pattern but I do know a company that carries culottes. The prices look good but I just ordered my first item, a dress, so I don't know about the quality yet.

National Wholesale Co., Inc
400 National Blvd.
Lexington, NC 27294
1-800-480-4673
ShopNational.com

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  07:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Mary, I really do hate to shop for clothes for me. Now I can go in and look in the kids department all day for my grands and get a car load. Or go to an antique mall and spend all day looking. Or a bookstore or nursery. Love that. But clothes? Nope. Not me. And my mother and both DD's could shop til they drop and get all kinds of pretty things. Even in the thrift stores.

I was talking to my mom the other day. I had forgotten she made my sister's wedding dress. So when she moves up here she will be giving me some sewing lessons.

Joanna, I can't wait to see your new clothing designs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  09:49:12 AM  Show Profile
I hate buying clothes too. Mostly because I have no waist and although I am small I look fat in most things. I also hate what my DD's call old lady clothes. In my 50's I feel I should stop buying my clothes in the Jr. department but my DD's tell me they aren't going to go anyplace with my if I start wearing "Old Lady Clothes". So I live in t-shirts, jeans and sundresses. I have to go to my DD's graduation from College this Saturday and will be wearing a dress I bought for a friends wedding three years ago. I make most of my skirts so fit isn't a problem but fabric and patterns are getting very expensive too.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Can't find any clothes Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page