Page: of 2

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  10:19:01 AM  Show Profile
That's the downside to sewing your own clothes these days.
Fabric is often poor quality and when it's not, it's fairly expensive.
The good thing is if we're making clothes that fit us and look good on us, the investment in longer lasting fabric will be worth it.
I go for clothes that aren't style related. Classic stuff. That way I don't have to worry about changing styles negating the money I spent [especially since styles seem to change as often as peoples underwear. ;*D
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  11:52:27 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget, you can also purchase good quality clothes at the thrift shop, good will, yard sales etc then re-design them into your new wardrobe. It is amazing how an out of date gown can be cut apart to create a great dressy blouse that is satin for the main body and collar with sheer sleeves, satin cuffs. Or you can create your own intimate wear . . . since the investment lots of times is $5.00 or so, it is well worth it when you see all that you can create from it in the end!

Hmmmm, that kind of sounds like a challenge. . . anyone game??

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  5:21:43 PM  Show Profile
I am trying not to live in sweats and t-shirts anymore (college days were long ago...). I went to a store for larger types in what we laughingly call our "mall" - the store is called "Torrid" and the displays at the front of the store were embarrassingly sleazy. I NEVER would have gone in if a friend hadn't recommended it. The sales girl was WAY bigger than me and not wearing anything I'd be brave enough to be seen in, but she was super helpful. The clothes are spendy. I only got one pair of jeans (not on sale), a tank (on clearance) and a flannel shirt (on sale), and spent over $80. (This shopping trip was a present from DH.) I haven't been back, but I love the clothes. The flannel has an elasticized back. All that was a very long lead in to my idea: Kris, if you can find a pretty top that is TOO big, consider adding ties to the side seams to gather the back. It gives a more tailored look to those mumu-ish things that designers think squeezable women like to wear, and it's easy to adjust.

Jojo - what sort of challenge are you suggesting? Thrift store clothing renovation? Sounds intriguing!

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  7:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Well, I cannot wait to see what ya'll come up with. I am not a sewer and have not much imagination so ya'll go for it. It sounds like there are alot of very talented ladies here. Melissa, I just might try a little adjusting on something that I got at a thrift store just to practice. And if I messed it up I wouldn;t have much money in it. I have been doing alot more things that I wouldn't normally do since I have been on this forum. Like some of the swaps are a bit challenging for me but I want to be able to do harder things. I need to challenge myself a bit more just to prove I can do things.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  9:27:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JojoNH

Don't forget, you can also purchase good quality clothes at the thrift shop, good will, yard sales etc then re-design them into your new wardrobe. It is amazing how an out of date gown can be cut apart to create a great dressy blouse that is satin for the main body and collar with sheer sleeves, satin cuffs

I often shop thrift stores,and can find skirts or dresses that need a little adjusting. I bought a skirt last week. loved the fabric and design, but 2 sizes too big. So I took it in. I never tuck in my shirts, so it doesnt' matter to me how it ends up looking. I've also made short sleeves out of long ones, or capris out of pants that werent' quite the right length. THinking outside of the box when shopping in thrift stores can really save you $$ on clothes.
there are several blogs out there on repurposing clothes. google it once -there are so many creative ideas out there!
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  07:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Kris~ I buy my good cloths at Christopher Banks. You can go on line and order things. They also have CJ's which is a plus size store. I were a siz 14 and I get it from Christopher Banks. Their clothes are for a real woman, not those models that everthing looks good on. Like I said they are a little more than I want to spend on my everyday stuff but, for something imortant I shop there. Also their pieces are timeless.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile
howdy girls, this is my first time on this thread. gads so many choices of posts. well since medically my tummy is always swollen. i have a hard time with things around my tummy. i really like denim and company. they make different waist heights. they make clothes that move. i can piece it together. the colors always match. browns are brown. when we had tv and cable i would watch qvc for her line. they do not wear out and are mostly cotton. also it is wash and wear. any hoot. i can not shop thrift or used clothing shops. i can never get the fragrance out from their soaps. my friend and my ds help. they watch for me. my ds lost some weight so i recieved her larger clothes. i was thrilled. here in our neck of the woods the gals have trunk parties.one will be kids clothes exchange next mom trunk party. then toy party. i think its brilliant. the old barter system and trade is back. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  07:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Amy, your right. . . I just love to pick up something at the thrift shop or a yard sale. . . then turn it into something totally different.
Saves money and gives me an original wardrobe too!

Melissa, LOL!! I am up for any challenge. . . hoping to get others to give it a try, sometimes a challenge motivates others to try new things.
I have bartered for a couple of pairs of overalls. When they arrive, I will be adding length to them. (finding pants, jeans etc that are long enough is a huge challenge for me) I will post pictures when I get them done.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  07:49:42 AM  Show Profile
I love Christopher Banks :) I also shop at Thrift Stores (really more than anywhere else!) I recently found an Eddie Bauer dress for $1.50 and a little straw purse for $1.50 also :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 11 2010 07:52:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  6:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, With all the help you have had from the farm girls, I was wondering if you had any success in finding something to wear for graduation? Can't remember when it is/was! Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  6:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Due to health problems, I, Too, always have a puffed up tummy...I am so tired of looking like a pumpkin in everything! I'm trying to lose weight too, but have the health issues...So finding good looking clothing is a real pain! Sherrye, I'm going to suggest we do trunk parties to my chapter of girls! How fun!

I wear a lot of big floppy dresses that cover my bulging tummy...very annoying...I even have resorted to buying maternity wear for my evil nasty belly bulge!

Kris I'm with you...real women are not toothpick shaped! I always look like a porker in those awful mirrors with that ghastly lighting!.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  8:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, I did find a white button up shirt that I wore over a blue undie shirt thing with a flowered skirt I already had. It looked nice and it was cool. I like wearing something over a tank type shirt to cover my arms. The graduation was so good. I am so glad it's over. But now she is getting married probably in October this year. Outside. So now I wil have that to think about.

I am bigger in the middle too. It's horrible. And I hate to excercise. I know, that's the only way to get rid of it. My mom always had the pregnant look as did my grandmother. But my mom opened a place where she had excercise classes and lost her belly fast. So I know it works. I just can't seem to keep doing things very long. I get all excited for a few days then quit. Ugh!

Sharon, good for you! What a great find. I guess I'll go Friday and look around some more. I might get lucky too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  08:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Ohh, I like the Christopher & Banks clothes.
The skirts are pretty good.
The clothes don't look like they where made by Omar the Tent Maker.
The Denim & Co. is pretty good. In the Big and Tall area there was a nice skirt. I don't understand "original waist" and "classic waist." What does that mean for a person?

Ohh, overhalls! I love 'em if I can find them to fit [believe it or not, the one's I come across in the thrift store are too big in the waist and too short!

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  08:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Kris, Glad you found something to wear - sounded cute! and COOL - very important! I also want my arms covered, at least in public! You exercise so much in the garden, I can understand why you don't want to do anything else exercise wise!
I just came in from working in the flower garden - too hot out there - had to come in! I DON"T DO HOT!
Planted 3 knock out roses - double pink, and two lavender plants. Hope they do well and will get enough sun! I still have a few more flowering plants to plant - maybe early in the morning I'll get back out there! Want to get them in before the next rain sets in for several days!
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  4:56:43 PM  Show Profile
I feel your pain. I've gained 35 lbs in the last 3 years and unfortunately my weight doesn't distribute evenly over my body so my figure looks very out of proportion. Trying to find clothes to flatter me now has been impossible.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  7:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I am glad you found something. I like JCPenny for dresses. I always look at the clearance rack. I had the same problem when my daughter got married a couple of yrs ago. And I am like you...bigger through the middle. I am blaming it on menopause. I 5'4", and about 190lbs. This is about the largest I have been in my life. I gained back the 30lbs I lost when I was in the hospital for 3 weeks last yr this time. But I didnt eat for 2 weeks...maybe that had something to do with it...lol...But it is a ral pain to go to buy something to wear. I do
love the GOODWILL...but none close by...just in Canton and Chattanooga.
Good luck,
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  7:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, you would think that garden work would be enough excercise. But apparently not. I guess if I actually did like hoeing and planting by hand like I used to it might be better. But gosh, I am getting TOO old for all that manual labor. I have a seeder now and my tiller is working. So not too much strenuous work. I do alot of bending over weeding though. I am feeling that in my legs latley.

I do love Goodwill and Salvation Army. They are getting quite pricey though.

And it is so easy to gain weight anymore for me. And harder and harder to get it back off. I can see myself smaller but getting there is hard. I guess menopause has alot to do with it. But there has to be ways to dress and look good. I will keep searching. I have seen the Lane Bryant commercials lately. I might have to go see what they have. This weekend everything there is 40% off. Might be worth a trip to the mall.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  08:03:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I so feel you. Having 3 kids in 3 years has not been nice to my body. I went from a size 5 when I got married to a size 14 now. Talk about finding it hard to find clothes that fit well!!! When you're skinny it's easy- everything looks cute but when you're not so skinny all the clothes make you feel super fat.
I just found 2 blouses that I liked at Fred Meyer (or Kroger in other parts of the country) and I was totally surprised! I've found that darker colors tend to look better on my (they don't show as many lumps!)
My biggest problem is tops. Jeans and skirts look fine but my lefotver baby belly and arms need help- big time!
I just bought some clothes from Katie's Mercantile. They should be here this week. I'll let you know how they turn out!
Oh, and I found a GREAT top the other day (my new favorite) at the thrift store for $1!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  4:16:48 PM  Show Profile
In my part of the country, Kroger is part of Dillons: a grocery store. They are now building what they call Marketplaces which includes furniture and linens. I have not seen any clothes except sports team t-shirts and items.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  12:06:42 PM  Show Profile
I agree. It's no fun, not to mention that everything is hot pink...I'll stick to my uniform...jeans (capris/pants/shorts) or a skirt and a black, brown or white top... no matching required!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  3:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I still look like I just had a baby. And she's 29! I need to excercise. I'm glad you found a nice shirt.

Kroger is a grocery store here. We have an Aldi's that has some clothes sometimes. I have seen cute kids clothes there.

Ashley, I tend to wear the same thing. And I have noticed all my shirts are either dark blue or black now. I have 1 pink button shirt. And the white one I got for the graduation. And my favorite black shirt I was going to wear today has now joined the ranks with all my other shirts and has a stain on it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Can't find any clothes Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page