miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Okay you guys... I got some more information from another farmer so...I looked up this subject in my goat book. Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goat. This is the last paragraph: Merely decreasing the frequency of milking - perhaps to once a day, then every other day - can lead to fibrosis of the udder and lower milk production in future lactations.

The farmer I spoke to told me I would injury the function of the udder and end up having to put a stint in the teat. So after listen to more and reading - I think I will just let my Nanny suffer a bigger bag for a few days than make a bigger mess.

Thanks for listening. Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  09:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It is your choice Kris. They are your goats and I am sure you know whats best for them.
I wish you luck!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  07:51:05 AM  Show Profile
I have been in the process of once again reminding myself that I am not stupid. It is something I struggle with from childhood - you would think at 56 I would have it down pat but when things pile up and overload happens.....I slip back...usually without knowing it...questioning my ability to think and live wisely. That isn't saying I can't make mistake, cause I do.
I don't know what is best for my girls(goats)because I don't have the experience but am willing to learn and try different things - I wouldn't be a farmgirl if that wasn't true. I wish me luck too. So far Nanny so doing fine, she is eating and acting normal. Channah, thank you and have a good day. Its raining here and will be most the day. Kris : )

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I struggle with it too Kris. You are doing fine and I'm sure your goats will do fine. Everyone has a diffrent opinion and in the end you have to make a decision based on what you think your goats need. Keep up the great work Kris! 'Hugs!!!!'
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  09:24:32 AM  Show Profile
The way I have always doen this is cut back on the feed for a few weeks. Then when they are down to maybe a handful I will milk them out completely. Then wait 3 days and no feed those days. Then the 3rd day milk out again completely. Then wait another 3 days and do the same. Then stop. They eventually go down and dry up. Some are a little harder than others. And I have not known mine to have a drop in milk production the next year.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  2:49:38 PM  Show Profile
I checked Nanny's bag, it is not tight and she seemed comfortable and in a good mood. Kris : )

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  6:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Glad to hear it Kris. So are you not milking her at all?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  04:59:51 AM  Show Profile
No, Channah, I am not milking her at all. When I felt her bag it was not tight and she really seemed fine. She gives one gallon a day so has a developed bag but....she has been milking since last spring. I wonder if that is a factor - she is long into her milking cycle.
Very windy and cold here today - take care, Kris

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  10:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh I see. I was just wondering.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic drying goats up Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page