Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 3rd Horseback Riding Lesson - 2 point is hard!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 3rd Horseback Riding Lesson - 2 point is hard! Next Topic  

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  05:15:11 AM  Show Profile
So for my third riding lesson last night. We started off with a refresher from the last lesson. Well, I had Nellie (my favorite horse who is way too tolerant of me but I appreciate her patience very much!) walking around the ring and changing direction easily. So my instructor moved to 2-point position, taught me how to pull myself out of the saddle and into proper position and then ride around the ring. Well, this little exercise found muscles in my legs and stomach that I didn't even knew we there. I had to hold the position for two trips around the ring and then I could rest for a lap and then had to do it again. It was so hard to do!

I also learned how to turn the horse in 10 meter circles - that was alot of fun actually! And, I had to lead her through twists and turns through cones.

All of you were right - I am completely addicted! If I could afford it I would take lessons everyday! And, I now understand what people mean about bonding with horses. I am absolutely in love with Nellie and look forward to grooming her before and after the ride. It is so interesting how she has a personlity. I was a little frustrated at how poorly I did at 2-pointing at the end of the lesson. When I dismounted, Nellie pulled her head around put it on my shoulder and kept it there!

The instructor said I have to work on sitting tall from my core instead of my shoulders. My mom taught me to sit up straight with my shoulders back - unfortunately on a horse that means my back arches which is no good for balance. So much to learn -- but I do love it!
All the best,
Tina

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tina a good way to visualize it is to yes, put your shoulders back but also imagine your rib cage lifting from below and your core muscles moving in and supporting both rib cage and spine.

Nellie sounds like a gem! What is her coloring?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Tina, It sounds like you have a wonderful schooling horse. They are not easy to come by.

Remember this: for a good seat and centered balance: Sit IN the horse not ON the horse. Riding bareback is very good for developing a good seat. Academics is all well and good, but eventually, a rider must learn to FEEL rather than ride primarily with the mind. Feel will come, and it encompasses everything you do with a horse...on the ground and in the saddle. The most important thing to remember is the joy of riding because it relaxes you and that helps your frame of mind. It is so easy to become frustrated when you don't pick up on something as quickly as you want to. Be as patient with yourself as you ought to be with a horse. Be content with whatever measure of success you experience, however small. Contentment is really important, but never be satisfied to stay where you were. I began riding at age 2. Now in my 50s, I have a new challenge, I have to try harder to ride better because my body is not what it once was. Horses are humbling for as long as you ride and that is good for humans. Humility doesn't let our ego make us weak and thus take us backward. Enjoy every moment. "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

I wrote a little piece for the new May edition of the CLUCK about my hoss. My earliest childhood memories are horses, horses, horses. If you are a music lover and an animal/horse lover...visit Maryann Kennedy's website. She is a longtime songwriter and she performs with Emmylou Harris. Absolutely wonderful music. You can hear samples of her music on the site. http://www.maryannkennedy.com/

Shery Jespersen

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Shery Jespersen on May 07 2010 06:57:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Heh heh......... when I was taking lessons as a teenager I though my instructor was trying to kill me by riding in 2-point so much. When I started instructing, I did the same thing to my students. (Mouhahahaha) Allow your weight to drop into your heels without pushing it. I had students that would "push" into their heels too much, and it caused their leg to come too forward, throwing off their whole base of support and good position. Down and back..... down and back. And keep your ankles flexible. (Esp. at the trot)
Go out and buy Sally Swift's Centered Riding 1 & 2 books, and maybe even her videos.... I love them and they help so much.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  11:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the continued encouragement and tips. I will continue to keep you posted!
-Tina

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  11:16:10 AM  Show Profile
By the way, Nellie is a white mare. She is such a wonderful horse. I'll try to take a picture during my lesson next week and post it so all of you can see her :-)
All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  1:22:29 PM  Show Profile
The instructor that use to teach lessons to my girls used two-pointing as a way to keep them from whining. If they whined two-pointed for two laps. or more if it was needed to stop the whining. But she made them do it bareback. Good lesson horses are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned. Glad you are enjoying your lessons. My lesson horse starts out with a new student being quiet and patient and forgiving of all faults. But as the student learns she starts to challenge them. It is amazing to watch. I know when she starts to act up on them that they are ready for whatever it is she is trying to teach them. After 17 years she is a better judge of what they can do than I am or they themselves are. Then when she levels off and starts being quiet and patient again then I know it is time they move on to a harder mount.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile
"Centered Riding" by Sally Swift is an excellent book about coming into a horse, not on a horse. The latest one has a forward by Susan Harris of "Grooming to Win" fame and Equus mag fame (and a friend of mine!!). Either edition is excellent.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic 3rd Horseback Riding Lesson - 2 point is hard! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page