Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bottle Fed Calves Next Topic  

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  7:53:55 PM  Show Profile
We are heading out this weekend to pick up two bottle fed calves. They will hopefully be our family milk cows in a few years. They are Jersey and Dutch Belted crosses. The kids and my husband are excited - but I am so excited I can't sleep. I am really looking forward to this adventure.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  8:16:38 PM  Show Profile
How exciting!! You will have so much fun!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:29:14 AM  Show Profile
That is fun. I raised 2 calves from just a few hours old on my goat milk. They were both very healthy fat babies. The steer is in the freezer now and Mazie will be 2 in July. I am going to have her bred in June with a Black Angus bull up the road. I am so excited! But she is a big fat baby. She still thinks she's small. And she's about 900 pounds. She will sling her head all around when I am out there so I have to be really careful now. So be careful when they get bigger. And have fun. I hope you get some sleep tonight. Just think of all the work you have ahead of you! That might tire you out enough to sleep tonight!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  06:50:19 AM  Show Profile
what an exciting time for you. i am in a steep learning curve myself. i love all of it. the milk is soooo good. happy days sherrye

kris, is your cow being nice or is she objecting to things with her head. they fling the head around to be bossy sometimes. i have a hollow stick bamboo i thump my cows with. does not hurt. it means do not fling your head at me. she is at the age where she will test you.you probably know this but just wanted to mention. she is at the age to push back at you. she should not do it without a correction .she is seeing if she could be boss. like a kid.lol any hoot glad your back on here. happy days sherrye
i bet my kombucha comes today

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:13:59 AM  Show Profile
I take a bog stick out there with me when I need to go in the pasture. And I think it's when she's in heat that she's the worst. When she's not she's pretty calm. They both love to be brushed so I try to do that alot.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bottle Fed Calves Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page