True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls :)

Some day, I am hoping to get one of these little cutie-pies. In the meantime a friend of mine is looking into getting one. Someone told her that the milk from Minis is different from regular Jerseys. Has anyone noticed a difference? We both purchase raw milk and love it and I am thinking that diet would be the only thing that would cause taste to differ. But then again, I have never owned a cow :)

Can someone share their experience with me?

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:46:38 PM  Show Profile
i have a mini. i love her milk. back before all the breeding for production all jerseys were mini. they were bred up for more milk.so the mini is more the true jersey. i have a girl that is a cross. i go on keep a family cow forum. lots of knowledge there.my girl is bred to a mini jersey bull name private pyle. he if famous for girl with large udders. i hope you get to have a cow soon. dexters and dex jersey crosses are good milkers. there is milking shorthorn too. kris has a fine cow going to calve soon. let us know what you do sharon. jersey milk is different than other milk. super rich lots of cream and the cream and milk tend to be yellow not white. glad to read you love raw milk. me too happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the input Sherry! We get jersey milk right now and we love it! It's amazing that Raw milk has taken away stomach issues with us and oh my, the taste! I have some cream just waiting to be whipped and placed on Strawberry Shortcake :) Thanks again Sherry, it will probably be awhile before we can get one but I plan on doing some homework :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:57:09 PM  Show Profile
i find the jerseys are more affectionate. just my opinion. she will lower her head close her eyes and just lean on me while i scratch her head. she also seems less demanding than my other cows. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mini Jerseys Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page