Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How often should you or did you hold your chicks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How often should you or did you hold your chicks? Next Topic  

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  11:34:46 AM  Show Profile
How much should they be held at 3 weeks?
How long is a good amount of time so they don't get cold?

How much personal time makes for a good buddy for a child as they get older?

Are some just prone to wanting to be touched? Or do you have to teach it?

They all peep when we pick them up but then stop and relax, even hunker down like they are roosting on a finger. One almost always falls asleep.

I don't want them to be held too much if it is too stressful but I don't want to miss the oportunity to help them like to be touched and held.

Thanks,
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  12:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie- I touched my first batch any opportunity I had ( usually 8-9 times a day) and they are now three and as gentle as can be, even my rooster expects me to hand feed him corn! The second batch was hatched and raised by a hen and we let her raise them as she chose, so we didn't touch them because mama would have a tantrum. That bunch of chicks are now 2 yo and still pretty wild, I can't really pick them up without a fight. The first batch I can pick most of them up without a problem, which is nice when there is a problem. As far as the third batch which are about 8 months old. We raised them, but they are a mixed flock of exotics and generally most of them are pretty flighty birds, so they can be a challenge. Out of my 3rd batch I did get a few cochins and they are very mellow and do let me pick them up.

I really do think handling them makes a big difference and you sohould do it as often as you can. Enjoy your fuzzballs they grow so fast!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile
i agree with lillian. nice chance for kids to love a baby. we would bring chicks in and let grandkids hold in a towel. they would coo and talk to the chick. the chick responded. so cute. enjoy happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How often should you or did you hold your chicks? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page