Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 When do they cock a doodle doo ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When do they cock a doodle doo ? Next Topic  

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  11:41:24 AM  Show Profile
I have 6 chicks and we are wondering about 2. They have standoffs and fly at each other.
One is an Easter Egger and one is a Black Australorp. Both are 2 1/2 weeks old.

The Black Australorp is also much bigger/taller than the others. It also has a twitch. Is a twitch neurological?

Thanks for your help.
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Hen chicks will also have standoffs for leader of the girls, as far as a twitch, it could be brain damage, it will be a wait and see.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  10:32:04 PM  Show Profile
One of my hens has a twitch also. The vet said it was a misfire in the brain, but she could live a full life with it, she'll just look funny sometimes. It's only a problem when she twitches as she's laying. It must startle her cause she jerks upright real quick. It has given us a couple of cracked eggs, which my middle daughter volunteers to eat as long as the membrane doesn't break. We don't mind her lookin funny once in a while, she's real sweet and a good layer.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  07:10:32 AM  Show Profile
All chicks will have standoffs, it is to establish their pecking order. As far as crowing it just really depends on the bird. My Delaware roo didn't start crowing until he was 16 weeks old. The Aracauna crowed at about 8 weeeks and the Silver spangled Hamburg was also crowing about 8 weeks old. I would suggest watching their combs, this is usally a good sign if it is a rooster or not. If the comb is much larger and redder than the others as they grow older then you probably have a roo. Also if you don't have a roo sometimes the lead hen will crow-I had one of these, it was kinda creepy.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile
The dear thing is that I have a nerve disorder in my face and I twitch too. We will be so sympathetic no matter what. Angela, your description of her getting an attack when she is laying is very touching. I have heard that horses can get Trigeminal Neuralgia which is what I have, I wonder if chickens can too. I hope it is just a misfire upstairs and that there is no pain involved for them.
Thanks for your notes~
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When do they cock a doodle doo ? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page