True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:46:55 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,
A few of us hand stitchin' farmgirls felt we needed a place of our own, and "Hanging By A Thread" was born.
We are for all people who love working with a needle and thread, and we invite people who do all types of handwork, embroidery, cross stitch, crewel, whatever!!!
This is not just for experts ... I am a beginner level, and I just love doing handwork. Of course, any experts out there PLEASE JOIN, because we would love to learn from you!
Hoping to meet many of you soon!
Julie
Ric Rac and Polka Dots
Farmgirl #1127

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  12:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie--I am a brand new farmgirl #1420-just got my kit. Want to start on embroidery badge--guess we have to do some kind of sampler first. Still deciding how to do it--I love things that are different-and don't want just the typical numbers/letters.
What are you doing ??? In case I get lost, my email is :
thebriarpatch1@verizon.net
So glad to 'meet' you !!!!! jeannie

Come and share a pot of tea. My home is warm and my friendship free.
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  1:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jeannie,
So nice to meet you! I'm pretty new too. Well, I have to order the books from MaryJane, for sure, I am hoping next week. I would like to see what she has in there for an embroidery sampler. I think, like you, I would probably like to do something different. That is why I am thinking of doing an embroidery sampler book, but I do want to see the requirements for the badge first. I'll let you know what I think I'll be doing once I get the books. Are you going to join our henhouse? I hope so, you would be the first member to officially post a bio after me! I know a couple more that will be for sure, but it is a good beginning.
I know of a company, called La D Da, and the woman who is the company lives in the next town. I ran into her in JoAnn Fabrics. She is so nice, and her stuff is pretty cute if you like folk art or primitive stuff. She actually sent me her Merry Sunshine and a witch boot patterns, with floss and everything. She was so nice. I am thinking of maybe incorporating her designs into a sampler, but like I said, I have to see MaryJanes book first. What do all you other stitchers out there do to earn badges for embroidery? What kind of sampler did you do? I would love to know, and I'm sure Jeannie would too!
Julie
Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  2:12:02 PM  Show Profile
YES--I want to join your HenHouse !!!!! What do you need from me ??? Let me know !! If you order the books from this website--she signs the books !! Talk later !! jeannie

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  2:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I want to join your henhouse. What do you need from me??

I am wanting to do the embroidery badge and the homemade Christmas badge.

You can visit my blog to see a few pics of some of my works in progress.

I love stitching and quilting.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  3:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone, I'm a brand new Farm girl also as of 4/22/2010. I've been quilting since 1972, sewed all my own school clothes before quilting. I also knit (very little) and crochet. Embrodiery is something new to me. I know very basic stitches but haven't made any project yet. I would love to join this group....what do you need from me?

Farm girl #1443
Carmen
Holland,MI

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  4:38:12 PM  Show Profile
To Carmen, Mrs. Rooster, :) and Jeannie,
I am so glad you guys, I mean ladies, want to join! I really give my all when I do something, so I am going to try to make this the most fun henhouse possible. I'll try to always have new things we can learn, lots of information, links, projects, freebies, and lots of group projects we can all do together. Don't worry about being a beginner, I don't know many stitches, but we can all learn some new ones together. We'll try to make projects that help us to learn new things.
On the top of my list is I need to order MaryJanes books to see what samplers or dishtowels she has for the embroidery badge. I've been saving up. When I order I am going to find out if we can do our own thing for the badge, or we have to do hers. I have tons of vintage transfers I can share with you guys! That's another thing, we can share stuff! So, next week I will order my books, but in the meantime tell me what is in the books so I can get an idea!
I am trying to remember, I think to join the henhouse you need to send an email to Brian and he hooks you up. If I did it then anyone can. I joined the quilt henhouse when I first started. Once you are officially a member of the henhouse you have access to all the chats and posts. Did you all post a bio? Please do. It will be nice to know a little about everybody. If you can manage to put a picture, feel free. I still don't know how, but will keep working on it. So glad to meet you all! If you have questions email or call Brian at the home office, he is so nice! Otherwise I will try to help you in any way I can, but again, I'm kind of new too!
Julie

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  5:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello Carmen & Amy-------well, Julie----looks like you are going to have a Hen House--guess it will be decorated with Ric Rac & Polka Dots :) Amy--guess you have been in this the longest---what did you do to your Farm Girl emblem ??? did you put it on a denim jacket ?? or add anything to it ?? Please let us know.

I have read MJ's books--there are no special guidelines for the sampler--so I am going to do a hot iron transfer of something ?? then use as many different stitches as I can--I have done some
embroidery before-it really is not difficult.
Have a great weekend !!! jeannie

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  6:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi again Jeannie,
Go to needlecrafter.com, if you haven't already. Once there, you can click on library to access some really cute free designs. There are other things to click on, like stitches, projects, etc. I think you can get some ideas. I am thinking of one of the free samplers that pictures a house with flowers, (vintagey of course) and says "Home Sweet Home" or something like that. I could add my name and the year, and that just might be my sampler. Let me know what you come up with! Definitely check it out, there are tons of cute free designs!
Julie
Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  6:15:22 PM  Show Profile
I have some vintage redwork patterns that I would love to share if anyone is interested. Now let me see if I understand correctly....I must email Brian to join this henhouse and the group name is "Hanging by a Thread? I'm really excited to start a new project with new family friends.

Carmen

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  7:06:14 PM  Show Profile
I am tempted to join but I'm not sure I can keep up. I am already a member of another henhouse and I am going to a tea party of another chapter. If i like it, I might see about joining them because they are more local to me. I'll think about it. I have embroidered since I was about 12 and cross-stitched since my 20's. I guess you would call me experienced. I, also, sew, loom knit, and a little crochet. Right now I am working on a Christmas cross-stitch piece. I've designed a few pieces of my own.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  7:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Carmen,
I think that is how I did it. I had to email him and he linked me to the henhouse. Nothing to it! I still wish I could figure out how somebody put a picture of themself up on a post. I would love to see the faces of all the wonderful ladies I am going to meet along with the biographies! Now I also have to figure out how to attach things, like the stitchery you were just talking about. We will be able to share so many things. If we get a large enough group, we are certain to have at least a few people who like the same things we do, for instance vintage day of the week transfers, which I love, and we can share with each other. This is going to be fun!!!!
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  7:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Katherine,
Well, don't feel any pressure from this henhouse to join projects! I will offer them, from time to time, and anybody who wants to do them can, and those who don't have time won't. I wanted to join in on a block exchange for a quilt henhouse, but just knew I wouldn't have time, so I passed. I really needed to work on a quilt for my granddaughter's birthday, and I want to start working on earning my badges. Also it is time to start working in the yard, so I just had to pass on it. Maybe some other time.
But, selfishly, we would love to have you as a member of Hanging By A Thread. Imagine how much you must know! You would be a valuable resource for all of us new embroiderers. Even if you could just check in on the posts from time to time, and offer a little help now and then, that would be fabulous! Sometimes it is such a help when a person who has already done this can explain it to us in a new way, as opposed to a book or drawing.
This henhouse is for those who dabble and those who are downright possessed, we'll take any and all handstitchers! Whatever you decide, thanks so much for your interest. I think we would all love to see your original designs also! Happy stitching!!! Julie
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Amy,
I just clicked on your blog and I love it! The pictures are beautiful, I love the background floral, and even the links you have to the other blogs are great. I hope I have time this weekend to check it out more thoroughly. I really need to get a blog, then I can post pictures, etc., and show finished projects and projects in the works. Hmmm, how many pages of unfinished projects can a blog hold?
Thanks for the link to the your blog, I recommend it to all! Please give me any thoughts you have for what you would like to see or talk about in the henhouse, or projects you may be interested in.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

jsparks60
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

June
Greene NY
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  7:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh this sounds like a hen house for me! Can I join too? I love handwork - all kinds - I learned from my grandmother how to embroider and quilt when I was young. I also crochet and knit and spin the wool from my sheep (Cleo, Prudence and Abigail). My favorite handwork tho is crewel. Would love to join and share projects! I'm also new and want to earn my badge - plus I also have to figure out how I want to embellish my sisterhood patch.

Farmgirl #1401

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be' - from 'Simple Gifts'
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  9:05:55 PM  Show Profile
June,
We would love it if you would join us!!! Wow, now we will have an yarn expert. How cool is that? Do you sell your yarn too? Do you dye it custom colors for your projects? I thought having chickens was exciting. My grandmother taught me most of what I know too, and was the inspiration for the rest of it. I just love to be doing something with my hands while watching tv or relaxing. If I'm not doing some sort of stitching, I'm knitting washcloths. I'm an addict I guess! Please do join us, you will fit right in!
Don't forget to post a bio when you join. I guess you will have to wait until Brian hooks you up with a link to the henhouse, probably Monday or as soon as he can get to your request. I think you need to send an email to join the henhouse. In the meantime, be thinking of what you would like to chat about or do as projects, as well as anything new you would like to learn! I can't wait to learn about your yarnmaking process. Now if you could only teach me to follow a knitting pattern . . .
Julie
Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  07:33:34 AM  Show Profile
This is so exciting--a new farm girl & a new group-all starting together !!!! Please--those who have been farmgirls for awhile-- tell us about your "patch", if you can't send a picture. What is it on--what did you add to it to make it special--right now, I just "sit & stare" at mine--so happy that it is finally here !!!
Thanks, jeannie

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  08:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I want to join your Henhouse. I admit I know almost nothing about embroidery but I guess everyone begins knowing little to nothing!
I have visited the Sublime Stitching website and plan to get the book to try out some of those patterns.
I'll email Brian and look forward to joining everyone in the Henhouse soon!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  09:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Caron,
I am so happy you want to join us. I don't know all that much either. I do basically just one or two stitches, and I have cross stitched, but I plan on learning more. One project I have in mind for us is an embroidery stitches book. We could learn a new stitch each week (or whatever period of time would work for each person), and just stitch out a little bit of it on a plain piece of muslin or whatever fabric you would like. Even gingham would be cute, and it would give us little squares so we can have lines to follow for the stitches,but the fabric is really thin! We can stitch out the name of the stitch at the top, or write it in with a fabric pen. We can put them together in a little embroidery stitches sampler book. We can put our name and the year on it and decorate the cover of it really cute! I will figure out a cute way of putting it together, and I can give really good direction on how to do it because I used to design and sell craft patterns, so it shouldn't be too hard. For those of us without a sewing machine or sewing skills, we can have an alternative method that would be just as cute . . . I already have something figured out for that. Hmmm, now that I am typing this, that actually might be a better way to go! Easier for everyone, less time involved! I like it! I'll try making one up and see how it turns out!
Anyhow, I am so glad to meet you. Already there are some really nice ladies expressing an interest in the henhouse, and I am hoping they join because this is going to be a really fun group! Have a great weekend, and I hope you can get the book. I liked it!
Julie
Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are."
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  09:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I think that I am going to put my Sisterhood Badge on a Tote. That way, when I do get merit badges, they can go on there too. You can get great blank muslin Totes at the craft stores.

I emailed Brian and can't wait to join this henhouse. I am a stitch nut!!

I have tons of transfers to share too. I love Aunt Martha's. I am on a very tight budget. So I have to look for Mary Jane's books at the library.

Have a wonderful day.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  09:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Just a reminder to everybody, sign up for the JoAnn Fabrics flyer and get your 40 percent off coupon. That is the only way I can afford my crafting addiction, I mean hobby! I'm sure you can use the coupon on line also if you don't have one near you. In the store if it is a decent sized JoAnns they have a ton of books, and you would be surprised at what a nice variety they have. I even find quilt books that I would otherwise have to pay full price for at the quilt shop or Barnes and Noble. Just a hint to try to save you money. Happy shopping!!

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  09:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Amy,
That sounds like a great idea. You will have to let us know what kinds of transfers you have. I have a ton too! How nice that we can share with each other, I love it!!!

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am signed up with Hobby Lobby and get a 40% off coupon every week. They have tons of Aunt Marthas.

I don't know where there is a Jo-anne's around here. I have only lived here since July. There is Hobby and a Micheal's. I will have to go sign up on Micheal's too.

I will have to get my transfers out of the closet and write down what I have. I have them all in one box, so that is good. I know I have the veggie people and the cookware with the faces.

Have a great day.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I also get a newsletter from a lady in WI or MN. I will share her address. She does lots of nice patterns for transfer. Her newsletter is reasonable.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  11:19:42 AM  Show Profile
I like the little book idea. Sounds sorta like an updated sampler. A hundred years or so ago young girls learned to sew and stitch by making samplers. I'm not a young girl, but I'm willing to learn! LOL!

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  11:55:37 AM  Show Profile
The Book idea sounds interesting--do we each do the same thing ( one stitch per page for our "own" book--or is it a joint book where everyone does one stitch and then sends it to you ???
Can't wait for your ideas on how to put it together----and---do we finish off each page or attach the stich 'to' a preset page in a real book ?
Is everyone still going to do their OWN sampler ?? Or, will everyone do their own book to take the pace of a sampler ??
Sorry--lots of questions :( Good Luck, Julie--not easy being the HEAD HEN :) !!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New henhouse Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page