Melbick
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Melanie
Venus TX
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  2:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Melbick a Yahoo! Message
Ok the kids and I are looking to get started on milk goats sometime this year, but I am scared to death of screwing it up. I have read all the pages on goats and everything I can find on-line and in the library but to me hands on experiance is better. If there is anyone within a 50 mile radius of me that would be willing to take on an apprentace for a couple of days so that I can be more familiar with the care and feeding of the goats I would appreciated it.

Melanie Bickham
Homegrown Girls
http://thebickhamfamily.blogspot.com/

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh darn Melanie! I wish you lived closer and I would be happy to teach you some things. I hope someone is there close to where you live and willing to help you.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  06:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, if you ask around for people that have goats someone is sure to know of a farm. And I love people to come here. I like showing off my goats and how to milk them. It's funny watching someone who's never done this before. I hope you find someone before you change your mind. Also look in the papers for goats for sale in your area. Craig's list is a good place to look. I just put in an ad to sell mine. I have 2 does right now for sale if you want to drive this far. I want them to go to good homes so I hope one of my farmgirl sisters will buy them.

I am wishing you luck and I hope you find someone soon to help you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:42:18 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited for your new adventure. Here are a couple of ways I sold goats - I was a leader in 4 H for 17 years and since our group is registered with not only the county extention office but the national 4H folks can find wonderful animals that way. I also allowed folks to visit, work with the animals and really get to know what they are doing before purchasing. I also offered for the city dwellers who could not have the animal live with them that they contracted with me to have the use for one year of an animal - the animal lived here they came to do the work and to spend time with the animals and farm. Many found their country roots and moved to a plot of their own and then the animal was ready for their new family and digs.

Also the extention office can give you lists of shows locally so you can see what is out there and also meet a large selection of breeders and animals. Also trade mag's and sites will point you in the right direction.

I wish you and your family all the best on your new life adventures. Life is grand when you have a goat or two...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, we have all made mistakes with our animals - 99% of them are not so bad they can't be fixed.

Take care, Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goat Help!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page