kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile
Well, I knew she was around here somewhere. I went next door to look for some baking soda and heard a comotion outside. It was a hen attacking Bubba my dog. And he was going after her too. I didn't put it all together til I heard a little peep. So I got them all calmed down and looked around for the peep. She was around the corner so I picked up the lone chickie. I reunited the mom and chickie and left them alone. It's cute and very little. I don't hear any more so I guess that's it for her.

And her twin sister is in the garage sitting on about 8 or 9 eggs on the bottom shelf of a storage unit. No straw or nest just plain ole metal bottom. Silly hen.

And then there is the Buff that is sitting on an empty nest now for a few weeks. I checked last night to see if by chance there were any eggs and there are none. I just put 4 eggs under her today and fed and gave her water. I don't think she has moved since she started this.

So we might have a few more chicks in a week or so.

P.S. I was just outside and noticed one of my dogs had an egg. I walked over to her and it had an almost hatched chick in it. It was cold. So I went looking for more. And I found another little chick where I had found the first one. It was cold and weak. I put it under the mother hen. I hope it makes it. At least the other one will have a sibling to keep it company. I did not see anymore. She must have had the nest under the little house.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 20 2010 3:31:59 PM

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  3:36:26 PM  Show Profile
WOW Kris, I am so jealous! My crazy hens aren't even sitting! some days I will go in there and the eggs are warm, then I will wait and not collect, thinking they are sitting, well the next day they are cold! I wish mine would sit so I can have chicks. Well I know they are fertile. I guess I could incubate them right?

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  4:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Yes, if they are fertile you can incubate them. Do you want some of my little chicks?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  6:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris, life on your farm sounds as if it is never dull, lol!!!
Congrats on being a chickie gramma! Let us know if anymore show up!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  03:22:55 AM  Show Profile
Good find!

Hope all the little chuicks make it alright

Isn't it interesting how they all seem to go broody around the same time
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  05:57:08 AM  Show Profile
I just saw the momma and bothe chicks! They were in the goat barn. I went out last night with the flashlight and looked around and didn't see them. I guess she had taken them into the barn. They are both still with us. They are so darn cute when they're little, Then they grow up and turn into roosters. For me anyway. We must have more male hormones in the grass here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  07:06:15 AM  Show Profile
The last comment made me laugh, about how cute they are when they are little and then they turn into roosters. I think I have said more than once how cute children are when they are babies and toddlers, and then they turn into teenagers . . . .
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:09:59 AM  Show Profile
I saw them just now up in the back in the trees. Both chicks look good. One looks like a Buff and the other like a game. So I am waiting on the other hen to hatch all hers now. It should be any day now. Both these hens are very good mothers. They both had about 2 hatches each last year and did good.

I guess it is oretty neat to have baby chicks running around the farm.

Julie , you are so right! Sweet little babies turn into bad little teenagers. But we still love them. Last year though out of one hatch I got 6 roosters and just 2 hens. I still have the hens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Must be the season-my muscovy duck is sitting on about 10-12 eggs. They take 35 days to hatch so am anxiously awaiting new ducklings!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile
Aw! I love the ducks. They are so cute when they are little. There is a pond on the way to town and there's been a pair of Canada geese. I went by a few days ago and saw 4 little goslings! They are adorable swimming in a row behind the momma and I guess the daddy is behind them. SO cute!

Let us know when your hatch, Karla.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  02:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Kris, Do you know how to determine which chicks are roos? Would they get their combs earlier than the hens? I can,t figure out how many of which, I have from mine that we hatched.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  05:39:52 AM  Show Profile
Well Gena, I can't really tell til they are at least 4 months. The roos will be taler with more leg, plus the feathers are shinier and longer. The tail feathers will be longer. Then the roos will start chasing each other. A friend of mine says to hold each one upside down by the feet. If they struggle and try to raise their head up they are a roo. I'll have to ask him again for sure but it's something like that. How old are yours now?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  05:41:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and they don't necesairily (?) get a bigger comb til they are much older. And it depends on what kind they are too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  05:48:39 AM  Show Profile
They are only about 5 weeks. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:36:06 AM  Show Profile
My 2 little chickie babes are so cute and growing like weeds. They follow their momma all over the place. She's such a good mom. And they just eat stuff out in the pasture and I'll throw out a little scratch for all the chickens and they eat it too. That's all they get and they are growing and looking good.

The other hen in the garage is still sitting on hers. Some days I look and there are a few eggs pushed out from under her. Then the next day theu are all back under. I don't know when she started sitting on them but it shouldn't be too much longer for her. And there may be only a few that hatch for her too.

And the other hen, the Buff, is still on her 4 eggs. She will not get up even to eat. So I throw some scratch in for her and make her drink some water too.

Then I have noticed another Buff in the hen house out back wanting to set on eggs. I keep taking the few eggs out from under her. It's dangerous out there for her to sit on a nest. Something killed my Welsummer in the house. So I don't want them setting out there by theirselves.

And I had a hen out in the other hen house up front that is nothing now but a big ole pile of feathers. Gone. That had to have happened during the day too. I have no idea what would have done that to her. I hate that. So now I am thinking I can't get new baby meat chicks because that's where I was going to put them. Now I don't know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickie Baby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page