jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile
I have a resue dog (Corgi mix) from the pound. We've had him for about 7 months now and I thought he had settled in. After he was here for 2 weeks, he ran off and we found him 5 days later. He ran off again Tuesday and we haven't found him yet. Hunting for him and calling every day, several times a day and have all the neighbors and mail carrier watching for him. He seems to have had problems since day one. He was really scared of any noise and would stay away from people he didn't know. The last few months he seemed to have gotten over that and was being very playful and loving, but he would still have days when he reverted back. Anyone have this problem before. I think he was probably abused but the shelter did not know his history. He was picked up off the street.
I really love the little guy and want him to be happy if we can get him back home this time.

Judy

*Love one another*

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:41:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I have a 5 pound Yorkie, that if she wasn't ALWAYS on the leash when I let her out, she would be gone. You will either need to keep him in a fenced yard, or in the house and only take him out on a leash.
I hope you find him.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Gena,

I have another dog I got at the same time. They have a fenced yard, doggie door and all the goodies. I didn't let them out of the yard unless I was with them. I had started taking them out with me every day walking and they would stay together and stay with me. This time he just took off. I guess it will be a leash for him from now on if we can find him.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Judy. How sad. I sure do hope you find him! Keep us posted, hugs to you.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  3:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole. I feel like a fool because I've cried every day. Can't help it, they are my babies. I'm just hoping the rain stops soon so I can look for him again before dark. My husband went this morning. I think he is as worried as I am.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  3:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I sure hope you find the little guy. Sounds like he's a sweet little dog that's had a hard life til you found him. I wish I lived closer. I'd be helping ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  4:03:10 PM  Show Profile
We, too, have a mixed Corgi of unknown origins and has some psycho tendencies. We have NEVER been able to put a collar on him or treat him for ticks and he's also very scared of loud noises. He also ran away a couple of times when we first got him, but now never leaves the yard unless he is following us. Take heart, he may find his way back to you soon! (After that scary rain goes away)

Also, do make sure that you report your missing dog to the local humane society even if it's not so local. Our dog was found 18 miles from town, but the finders brought him into the humane society and when we finally thought to call we were re-united.

Good luck!

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  6:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judi, Was he wearing any ID or is he micro-chipped? I would put up posters anywhere you can think of - vets office, post office, stop signs (if allowed), tell everyone you see also. Also you can put him on PetFinder.com - they have a place to place lost pets. Hope you find him soon! Will be praying about his return!
Hugs, Ruth
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile
You need to send photo's to any shelter within 50 miles. My daughters Great Dane showed up in a shelter in Galveston, (We live in Houston) you have to cross a mile long bridge or a ferry to get there. But he showed up in a shelter there. Also, I once had a female husky/wolf mix that went into heat and this little scottish terrier showed up and slept on my porch recliner- in Alaska - in the winter time - for the whole time my husky/wolf mix was in heat. He never even got near her but he waited patiently on the recliner anyway. LOL So one way or the other he may show up again.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  7:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Judy,

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry and I hope your pup comes home soon safe and sound.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  03:07:28 AM  Show Profile
Judy, please let us know if you find him. I wish I lived close by to help you look!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile
I agree with some of the others. Is he micro-chipped? Call all the shelters and dog pounds in your 50 mile radius and let them know you are looking for him. Also, do you have a facebook account. We post lost dogs on facebook all the time. I also have a Corgi mix that was dumped at the humane society when she was 6 months. She had a lot of issues, but we worked them out and she is the best dog now. I am currently fostering a rescue that was a stray in Ohio (I live in WI). I hope you find your little guy and then keep him leashed on walks.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  07:29:40 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear that Judy!

My mom rescued a Corgi from a woman who said she was a rescue...but it was more like a 'dog jail', if you will. All of her dogs were crated almost all day, and she also allowed them to rip up her furniture and tear up her house. Definitely NOT rehabilitation!!! Anyway, this Corgi was so traumatized (she likely came from a puppy mill anyway) that she ran away at any moments notice, gobbled food as though she'd never see it again, and had so many mental problems. The dog was returned to the 'rescue' after many months of no progress :0(

I adopted a Bichon who had soooooo many mental problems! After he began becoming aggressive with my girls, my brother took him in because they have no children, and FINALLY after over a year, he is making soooo much progress. I am convinced he was a puppy mill dog (he would ONLY urinate/defecate on concrete), and he just needed time to come out of that shell. But, sometimes time just isn't enough. I hate to say something is irrepairable, but....

lastly, I volunteered to take in a foster dog who was a breed that I own and LOVE. We had him for about a day...and then one day, we went down to our pond. We were all right there, watching the kids and the dogs, and the foster vanished. I mean, VANISHED. He had bad hips, so I thought he wouldn't get far (and, he's only about 6 pounds). Judy, we called for him for 5 hours. I was frantic, because he wasn't really my dog, he was still the rescue's dog. After a week of no word, I got a strange email from someone on Craigslist. (I had immediately posted pics on CL that day). It said, "Is this your dog?" I went on CL, AND THERE HE WAS. I couldn't even speak! I called the nice man, and we got him back that day! AND, they found him THIRTY MILES north of me! He was so exhausted that someone found him laying by a lake and he couldn't walk for 2 days. It was a sheer miracle that he wasn't snapped up by a coyote or a car, or whatever.

Point being, you just never know! Wishing you the best.

a

I hope you find your dog really soon

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  08:00:09 AM  Show Profile
hi judy, has he returned yet? i am really able to give you a corgi story of encouragement. we were in need of an outdoor dog to repel skunks. we found eskimo through the humane society. chris is the head of the org. she had him on her farm. he came from a place that hoarded dogs. his ears are eaten off his eyes had to have many surgeries to stop blindness.his muzzle is all scarred up. he lived at chris farm for a year. when they brought him i walked the perimeter with him on lead then fed him. he stayed. one day the gate was open and he was gone.i was just sick. we hunted we brought track dogs chris has everyday to no avail. i told papa to turn the electric gate off and open it. nothing for weeks. then i was feeding pigs one day and felt i was being watched. it was skimo. he was dirty skinny and tired. he has not gone past the gate again in a year. we wanted him to have a friend outside for when my disability puts me down awhile. so we called chris. she brought lupe lew we call her sloopy. eskimo had protected her in the hoarding place. they ran together. when she got out of the car oh my. they immediately ran and jumped and have been together with my yorkie ever since.you hang in there. keep calling the dog and looking. you never know what will happen. we are low income now so the humane society micro chipped them for me. i am just now able to touch sloopy on the head. she is happy but so afraid of being beaten. hope this helps you be hopeful. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  08:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Work as hard as you can to find him and when you do, please make sure he has a collar and ID. That and the microchip certainly help. My Saluki mix used to run the minute the door was opened. She is now 12 and has slowed down a lot. However, you should see her running around with my DS and DDIL's jack russell/chihuahua mix who is only two years old. The have a lot of fun together. I pray that you will find your Corgi. They are such cute dogs and very expressive.

Betty in Pasco
Mom to Penny the Pooch
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  3:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Judy, I hope you find the little guy.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  4:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encourgement everbody. He is micro-chiped so hopefully if someone finds him they will get him checked out. I'm really afraid that he may have gotten snake bit or something. The rattlesnakes are out and moving around. We are still looking for him. My husband went out this morning while I was at work and I walked about a mile when I got in calling for him. We only have a weekly paper here so I won't be able to get an ad in until Wednesday. I will let you know if we find him. Thanks again for the support.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  7:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Judy, We have 3 dogs. One I have had for 14 yrs. Another one is about 3. I found him at a truck stop..and the last one is our crazy girl. We got her from the craigslist that someone was giving away. Not sure what she is but I know she has hound in her. When she got big enough we let her out with Mac (truck stop dog). And she brought home a chicken from our neighbors. Well this went on about 5 times until I told my husband that she had to be put in the back yard (it is fenced) unless we are outside with the rest of them. BUT when we decide to go in with the rest of the dogs she decides to stay outside...so no more out front for her....just in the backyard. And they all sleep inside at night...or whenever they want in. Good luck...and I hope you find him.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  6:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Judy,
I totally feel for you. I would be a mess if my pup got out. My other dogs I had before got out a couple of times, and it was scary. Don't lose hope yet. You'll be in my prayers that you will find your baby. Keep us posted.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  4:25:05 PM  Show Profile
It's been 12 days and no sign of my Rusty pup. I really feel that he is dead or he would have came back to the house by now. We live a mile and a half from the nearest neighbor and no one has seen him. My little girl dog has finally quit putting her chew bones and toys by the doggie door. I think she has given up on him coming back too. Thanks everyone for listening to my problem. If a miracle happens and he comes home, I will let everyone know.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  07:11:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Judy, I am sooo sorry to hear that. <BIG HUG>.

Take care,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  05:16:39 AM  Show Profile
THE MIRACLE HAPPENED! Found my dog yesterday afternoon about 2 miles from home in an area we had drove around almost daily looking for him. He is now laying in the floor snoozing, with a belly full of kibbles.

Judy

*Love one another*

Edited by - jclambert on Apr 27 2010 05:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  05:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I am so glad that you found him!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  11:52:00 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad that you found him and I am equally glad that I did not quit reading and saw that you found him I was starting to cry. It is a miracle and I may just cry any way out of joy for you. I know that if anything happened to my 2 how horrible I would feel
delicia
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  12:09:59 PM  Show Profile
I think running away is a common problem with corgis. I have a Pembroke Corgi, and I never trust him outside the fence unless he is leashed. They are bred to be herding dogs, and I think running after animals (be it sheep, birds, squirrels, whatever) is in their DNA. Even when he was a tiny puppy he tried to "herd" the cats around the house!

And here's a corgi tip that I wish someone had told me when I first got Bucky: corgis (and any short-legged, long-backed dogs like daschunds, basset hounds, etc.) are REALLY prone to back and neck injuries and should never be allowed on beds, sofas, chairs, etc. We used to let Bucky sleep on our bed. One day he jumped off and ruptured a disk in his back. It took $10,000 in surgery and treatment at Michigan State University Veterinary School and a doggie neurologist in Detroit to save his life!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,

Thanks for the tip about the injuries. Our corgi sleeps on his bed on the floor. He really doesn't run after animals much, we have cattle and he will follow them around and lay down and watch them. The only time he has chased them is when they get in the yard. Anyway, I am so happy to have him home. He's our little clown and we missed him so much.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic doggie problems - help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page