Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Dog:( Next Topic  

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  6:42:17 PM  Show Profile
My 9 year old dog, Daisy, is showing signs of old age:( It's getting harder for her to walk up the stairs, and my Mom and I are worried that one of these times she might fall. But she is still sprite in other ways! Congratulations, Channah on Ely and Elinor!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh so sorry Megan. Our dog is 12 years young and going strong! She started showing signs of old age and then me and my mom started to make her food for her and that really, really helped! Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  9:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Megan- I feel for you! My heart always breaks when one of my animal friends starts showing signs of age. I wish they lived as long as we do so that we could all pass away together!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  03:31:16 AM  Show Profile
My dog will be twelve next month and I make his food. I think good nutrition is the most important factor in how an animal ages. He still acts like a puppy at times. just spends more time sleeping than he used to. I agree with Channah, maybe you should try making her food and see if that helps.There are some good books out there on holistic dog care and they have some recipes you can easily make.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  03:37:11 AM  Show Profile
That's so sad to watch

Thiose same books may offer tips on how to provide natural glucosamine.

There's something in tablet form called DGP that's supposed to help w/ situations like this. Only trouble is its 30.00 a bottle

What kind of dog is Daisy? Is she a large breed (great dane, St benard, Newfe?)
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  07:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh, sorry to hear. We love our "furbabies" so much. We've lost four dogs to old age, but all lived to be quite elderly. Our oldest furbaby now is one of our cats. She is 18. Eyesight failing, deaf as a doornail, but in really good shape considering her age. Still sweet as can be and gets around just fine. She puts the young dog in her place if she gets too rambunctious, LOL. Megan, give your baby Daisy extra love and a hug from me! Hugs to you, too.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

beadbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Therese
Valencia California
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  10:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Megan, my dog will be 12 this year, and he sometimes takes the stairs a bit slower, and has stumbled af few times. (My heart always lurches!) Last month I bought a nutritional supplement called 'The Missing Link" made by Designing Health. It has Omega fatty acids with glucosamine, fiber and plant nutrients. It was about $26. for a 1# bag. I used to make a powder supplement for his raw food diet, but that was very time consuming and sometimes I couldn't get all the ingredients. I have noticed an improvement in his over all energy level, and his coat has become softer since taking this stuff. And best of all, he likes it!

What breed is your dog? Best of luck to you and Daisy!

Therese
Farmgirl Sister #1217

If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~Emile Zola
Go to Top of Page

remembrance farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Cheryl
"Remembrance Farm" Ky
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  11:01:35 AM  Show Profile
My baby Scottie was 12 years & 3 months when she passed due to pancreatic cancer.....I had to have her put to sleep only because she was fighting for each & every breath,that was one the hardest things I have ever went thru....I loved this little baby so much & we had been a pair since she was 5 weeks old, we had been thru alot together. I miss my Dear Sweet Mom went to be with the lord after a long battle with congestive heart failure, 10 years ago in march(who insisted I buy her)& my little baby girl 2 years also in march 4 days & 8 years apart.
I wish you all the best with your babies.

C

I will work harder!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 yorkie poos who are part of the family. Actually my son ask me if I still love him. These 2 do everything with me and we had a sheltie that had cancer and I had to have her put down. It was horrible. We loved her so much. Can someone post some of their recepies for the homemade dog food I would love to give that a try.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Daisy is a staybyhoun shepherd mix. We got her from the Humane Society when she was two years old. She has her moments, though. My Grandma's dog, Rosie, is a border collie mix, and she is 16. It's going to be a sad day when Rosie goes:( She was my parents' dog when I was a baby, so she's been in our family a while.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  7:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow, there sure are alot of 12 year old dogs around here. I have twin Rat Terrier sisters that will be 13 July 7th. They are showing their age a little more every day. I can't have them in the house because they pee all over. So they have a place in the "cat and dog" room. They have a nice bed and a heat lamp since they are like 2 little old ladies!

Megan, your dog sounds very sweet and very loved. I hope she has many god years left with her family.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  9:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Megan, so sorry to hear about your dog. I have a part Terrier and part something else. LOL. Luck Dog will soon be 18 years old. He cannot see too good. and I've noticed, just lately, that he is walking a bit slow. He lives in the house with two cats. One of my cats Zoe torments him if I'm not around. It is so sad. Luck could really hurt that cat, put he is so afraid of her. I say as long as you keep loving your dog, and letting him know you love him, he'll be better. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  04:59:25 AM  Show Profile
My fur baby will be 12 this Sept. and she is also starting to walk with a limp. I do feel nutrition is important, I also put Bragg raw apple cider vinegar in her water which is suppose to help. I also believe in canine massage, my dog loves it. A dvd you may want to check out is "Bodywork for Dogs" intuitive touch through Massage, Acupressure and Awareness.
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  05:06:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. It's not easy to watch our beloved pets grow old.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com

Edited by - JudyT on May 21 2010 05:06:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  07:37:44 AM  Show Profile
My old shepherd lasted till he was 13 and it is sad when they get old. We have a cat that is 20 and our other cat that passed away two years ago was 18. Our two dogs are now 8 and the bigger one has some leg issues. He did crash on our stairs and was limping around for a while. We blocked them off for a while so he couldn't hurt himself again. It is sad when they get old as they are all part of the family. Just give them lots of love and good food.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  5:45:33 PM  Show Profile
I have an 11 yr. old Rott. and a 13+ jack russel/basenji mix. They both are doing ok. I did make their food for years and that truly helps. It is amazing how much we all love our four legged kids!
Enjoy them everyday!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  5:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Bless you all and all your 4 legged kids! How we love them all!! We have 3 rescue inside cats. We rescued our Himalayan at age 1 year and he's now 141/2 and doing beautifully! Our 2 three year old rescues keep him young, plus good food and lots of love!!! Megan, I'm sure your Dear Daisy is just slowing down a bit and she will live many more years!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  3:18:07 PM  Show Profile
MY oldest is now 14, a lab mix, and having a really tough time getting about, she has pretty bad arthritis in her back from years of jumping like a crazy girl! She's been on anti-inflammatories for a while and have become less and less effective. Saw an ad in an old MJF mag and ordered these organic pills from Australia and they have helped immensely. As a pharmacist, I used to be pretty skeptical about herbals but have become a big believer in them over the years. I used some to help with my milk production while breastfeeding and I swear I could have fed an army if I took too much! But I'm really impressed when this kind of stuff works on an animal because they can't have any expectations so you know whether the stuff works or not pretty quickly. Anyways, gotta thank MJF for the tip on a great product that has made my poor girl alot more comfortable!
Dana

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Dog:( Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page