Page: of 2

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  08:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Everyone relaxes in a different way. For me it is baking. I had a hectic week this week and wanted nothing more than to get into the kitchen this weekend and kick up some flour! Well, after two batches of strawberry sandies cookies, a tiramisu cake, and a lemon custard pie I finally feel peaceful this Sunday morning. Side benefits - my house smells completely yummy and I have plates and plates of wonderful desserts to take to a friend's house for Sunday supper! Does baking have this effect on anyone else?

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355
"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes! Back when I was still in school, after every major test or paper due, I would bake a batch of toll house cookies lol. In university, roomies got pies. Now I take my anxiety out in numerous ways and my co-workers benefit, though it may show on the hips at times. I love to bake much more than I can eat!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  08:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Baking is very theraputic for me too! Yesterday it was raining so I baked a couple of loaves of bread, some rye crackers and chocolate chip cookies. My rhubarb is almost ready for a first harvest and I can't wait to make a rhubarb pie, some rhubarb crunch and rhubarb cake! I put on some of my favorite celtic music and dance and sing and bake!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Apr 25 2010 08:49:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  11:02:41 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely!! The kitchen is my favorite room in the house. It is so warm and cozy. Baking is very relaxing to me and I can get lost in my own little world. And the smells and tastes of whats baking are heavenly:)
Blessings,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  11:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Me too - I just baked a yellow cake - the recipe uses lemon curd as filling and part of the frosting, mmmm. The only not so relaxing part is the constantly-underfoot-basset hound, she loooves butter and I keep tripping over her
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  11:46:19 AM  Show Profile
i too find comfort in cooking. goodies i put together on those cozy days and freeze for later. today i am baking choc. chip cookis that i froze.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  1:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Me too!

It's comforting to me knowing that I am making (baking) something special for someone, it brings me great joy :)

Yesterday I made a coffecake with a cream cheese filling topped with Apricot jam and streusel crumbs. It was so good and perfect with a cup of tea after church today.

Tina,

I have never heard of Strawberry Sandie cookies. Could you share your recipe please?

Amy Grace,

I know what you mean about pups being underfoot. My girl especially likes to be there when making treats for her :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  2:56:51 PM  Show Profile
I bake when I am upset, nervous or out of sorts. It is totally theraputic. Not sure if it is the act of mixing and baking or that the house is filled with wonderful smells of happy!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:44:05 AM  Show Profile
Same here...been a little "tight" around the house moneywise, so to effect savings (and to clear my head) I made 2 loaves of white sandwich bread yesterday. Kneading dough can make even the worst demons, go right away!!! And, now we have wonderful lunch throughout the week :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:48:15 AM  Show Profile
I oook to relax and clean when I am mad!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  06:26:20 AM  Show Profile
I cook and bake for relaxation. I enjoy it more than any of my other hobbies.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:11:23 PM  Show Profile
funny i was feeling fairly down on myself and really throwing around making bagels.... I think I will do that now thanks for the pick me up that I am not the only one who does this

also if the house is clean, my husband knows I am mad

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  1:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello All,

Amy, Here is the Strawberry Sandies recipe - these are so easy to whip up!
1/2 cup sugar
1 box Strawberry Cake mix (best you can find)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter softened
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put sugar in a bowl and set aside. Beat all other ingredients with a mixer until a stiff dough forms. Roll dough into balls by the tablespoon full. Roll balls in sugar. Put 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Lightly press down each ball to shape into cookie. Bake 12 minutes.

Hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
-Tina

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  2:54:54 PM  Show Profile
I too bake for therapy! It's just very calming to me, plus the rewards are great, and I love to share my goodies. So it is a win win! Amy Grace, any special recipe for your yellow cake with lemon curd????
Tina, your cookies sound really good, will have to try them. I have a basset granddog! He's quite a boy! His name is Emerson.
Ruth
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  4:45:28 PM  Show Profile
I love to bake and am a much better baker than a cook. Sharon can you share your recipr for the coffee cake that sounds wonderful and Tina I am going to give your cookies a try this weekend.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  05:58:51 AM  Show Profile
I also crockpot as well as bake for therapy. It smells wonderful all day and when dinner time rolls around it is all done on a day that I probably won't feel like cooking in the late afternoon!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  11:10:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh Delicia, I'm sorry I haven't seen this topic in awhile.

I got the recipe from kelli @ There is no Place Like Home blog

Here's a link:

http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/2007/04/cake_18.html

It is so good!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  12:13:16 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I made your WONDERFUL strawberry cookies Friday night to take to my grandson and husband's birthday party. I didn't know how everyone would like them - let me tell you they were a real hit - even with the folks that don't really like sweets!! The only thing I did different was to use mashed fresh strawberries in place of the water. YUMMY! Then my oldest grandson (24 yrs old) who loves to cook, said you know, these would be great with some cream cheese icing on them, and a strawberry half! So he proceeded to produce the pretty little cookie treats for us all to enjoy! Made everyone's day!
Thanks so much for the recipe!
Hugs, Ruth

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  8:04:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dreamingofafarm

Hello All,

Amy, Here is the Strawberry Sandies recipe - these are so easy to whip up!
1/2 cup sugar
1 box Strawberry Cake mix (best you can find)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter softened
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put sugar in a bowl and set aside. Beat all other ingredients with a mixer until a stiff dough forms. Roll dough into balls by the tablespoon full. Roll balls in sugar. Put 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Lightly press down each ball to shape into cookie. Bake 12 minutes.

Hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
-Tina

Oh my these sound heavenly. We just moved into a new home this week and I need some baking therapy to ease my stress, and I think these will be just the ticket

Molly - Farmgirl #625
"As waves upon my head the circling curl, So in the sacred dance weave ye and whirl. Dance then, O heart, a whirling circle be. Burn in this flame - is not the candle He?" -Rumi
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  8:19:01 PM  Show Profile
I also use the kitchen for therapy...all the time! It's one of the only places I feel truly relaxed. I remember three years ago when we were moving from our old house...I can't tell you the HOURS I spent in the kitchen baking and baking and baking...we moved here with a freezer full of baked goods! I guess the kitchen is a great place to relieve stress because its a productive way to work through what's bothering you or to just hang out and get relaxed. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

missmuffcake
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

kendy
modesto ca
45 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  12:33:56 PM  Show Profile
I love baking too. I think making something and then sharing it is the bee's knees. Looking through cook books for me is very zen like too!

------------------
http://www.missmuffcake.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  1:47:01 PM  Show Profile
I have a very dear friend who has been a nurse for many, many years. She too is a baker more so when she is under stress and duress. She has told me that it helps her relax. I just love her to death and my goodness can that gal bake!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  3:30:12 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same as you ladies. I love baking, I just wish it was as good for the waistline as it is on the mind! I love having my (almost)3 year old daughter help with it too, she definitely enjoys eating whatever she helps to create and it's so cute (although messy) having her bake with me.
Dana

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  07:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello All,
I haven't checked in on this topic in a while. I was so happy to hear that the cookies were a hit with your family Ruth!
Wishing everyone all the best,
Tina

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort" - Jane Austen
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  11:55:34 AM  Show Profile
I cannot wait to try the coffee cake and the strawberry cookies!! I am going to do that TODAY...You ladies are the best! Love the recipes! I love baking as well....I find myself lost in thought and it helps me relax, and of course the family loves it, which is so rewarding!
Go to Top of Page

somethingticking
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Sara
River Ridge LA
USA
20 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  3:55:13 PM  Show Profile
I definitely find baking meditative. The careful measuring and mixing, paying attention to the textures and appearances and smells of things to know whether they're right definitely brings me back to the present. And I find that just cooking doesn't quite elicit the same experience. Maybe because I know that baking sweets is something you do just for the pleasure of it. You're not making cookies because you're hungry, you're making them because the process and the product are comforting, and that it's probably going to give someone else comfort and pleasure as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking as meditation Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page