Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Brownie attacked the boys...now what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Brownie attacked the boys...now what? Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  4:58:44 PM  Show Profile
So today Brownie, the stray rooster, decided it was THE DAY to attack the boys. Colton (7) went into give the chickens a treat like he always does, and Brownie freaked out (no idea why) and flew at Colton, puffed up his chest and kept bumping him, and pecked at his legs. Colton didn't know what to do, I told him to be calm and stand his ground but that wasn't working. ;) So Colton left. My husband and I went in there later and Brownie didn't do a thing while we were in there. Simon (6) went in there about an hour after that and Brownie did the SAME thing to him as he had done to Colton. What is up with that? Does anyone know why all of a sudden he would decide to mess with the boys but no one else? What do we do to fix this?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  5:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Its their sizes, it will get worse, either keep the kids out, or get rid of the rooster before he does real damage.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  6:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh No Amy! Are they okay?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:29:02 PM  Show Profile
time to get rid of the rooster. He will only get meaner and there are some real gentle ones around. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  04:39:06 AM  Show Profile
The boys are fine. In fact, I think it bothered me more than them, because I was trying to figure out why a rooster who was so nice for the past month suddenly turned evil. I didn't know if it was "the boys" or "the rooster". Sounds like (from talking with a few other people) that this is just what roosters do when they are jockeying for position and it doesn't necessarily get better. Lovely. Just lovely. The advice on all fronts has been put the boys in there to show him who is boss or get rid of Brownie. I guess we will see what the day brings...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:49:31 AM  Show Profile
Amy, please be careful about your boys, roosters can do damage to eyes, so please be careful.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:02:13 AM  Show Profile
Butcher him and make dumplings. I am serious. I don't ever keep more than one or two roos and certainly not the mean ones.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:10:01 AM  Show Profile
I will not let the boys in there alone. And if Brownie gets too sassy, I'm quite capable of ringin' a neck!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile
We had a rooster that would attack my son when he was small and to this day, 36 years later, he hates chickens. This rooster would walk the fences when Ryan was out in the yard playing, trying to get at him. Ryan only went in when I went in to get eggs or feed the chickens. Needless to say...it was rooster heaven for the old boy the day that he messed with my little boy!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:18:09 PM  Show Profile
It will get worse. It is scary

And the rooster is protecting his ladies

Teaching the kids to defend themselves via a boot to the chest or stick will only make matters worse too. They may stand their ground, but the same thing will continue to happen. So it might be best to warm up the 'ole stew pot.

Sorry

We had a rooster that caused a neighbor to carry a stick every time she wanted to go jogging. It was like the rooster waited and watched for her. Makes for bad neighborly relations, that's for sure.

The final straw was when I had received a flogging too many. I just left him locked out of the coop one night and a fox made him a meal quick like. I really hated to do it, and I wasn't in the mood to process a chicken either.

In the meantime, keep the kids away and don't wear anything red
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:25:23 PM  Show Profile
I vote Dumplings with the chicken. And why wait for some thing bad to happen because it will.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  6:18:05 PM  Show Profile
Few years ago, we had a rooster named Kellogg,beautiful,friendly, and good to his ladies, one day, he attacked my 4 yr old grandson, I was going to kill him and the grandson, begged me not to do that, give him a chance, went that day to the feed store, after showing off his little legs, the man working told us to never go in the pen without a water gun and to shoot him with it. Well this worked very well, didn't take too many days for him to not even pay attention that one of us came into the yard. He lived about 5 years, and never attacked. Course I was very careful about grandson going in a lone, but if your boys help with chores, might be best to have chick -n-dumplins. Good Luck!! Farm girl#946

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remain unawakened." Anatole France
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:01:06 PM  Show Profile
Our rooster ( no longer with us) decided to get territorial with my husband, who is 6'2" and big - he never messed with me, but he kept after John till we got rid of him
Good luck with Brownie - what a drag for your boys, after just getting over the fear of chickens too:(
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  04:44:57 AM  Show Profile
I have had aggressive roosters, they either need to be taught a lesson or canned!!!!
I have several roosters, none are aggressive now. And if they got that way, it would be either a good lesson for them or dinner for us! Those are the options! But please know this, there are lots of freindly gentle roosters, and you do not have to put up with a bossy one!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:11:50 AM  Show Profile
I had a rooster that was a year old named Mr Roo. I took me by surprise one day and broke 4 of the eggs in my egg basket. That was it!!!! He had flogged me many times and chased my grandkids only once. They were never to go in the pen by themselves. When he got me and really tried to do damage I called an acquaintance and asked if I could bring her dinner. She said she could butcher him if I could get him there. I couldn't eat him because I had raised him from a day old. I am sooooo relieved. Roosters can be very mean and certainly do damage to children especially eyes. I vote to get rid of the rooster before something happens that you will regret. It was hard for me, but much more relaxing when I go out to get the eggs. Hope all turns out well.
Go to Top of Page

chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  2:33:01 PM  Show Profile
DH and I have found a solution to this problem at our place. We have lots of neices and nephews so whenever they come for first time in awhile we go out together and any agressive bird gets caught and force petted. They HATE it:>. Especially the roosters. If agression continues then the younguns learn How to Butcher a Chicken and Make Dinner all in one afternoon! On the other hand we have a few that now want to be petted all the time. But they are gentle now.
sandy
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  4:58:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions. The boys have been back in with me everyday to collect eggs (them going first, me following right behind) and there has never been an issue since. I have no clue what was up with Brownie that day. Hopefully it won't happen again. If we have problems again, he will be to the big pot.

I just wonder now with trying to integrate one month old chicks with the big chickens here in the next month coming up...Brownie might try getting mean with the chicks. If so, I guess its to the pot with the big bird.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  5:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Amy, Jimmy Buffet has not tried anything with Kansas again either. Must of had a bad day? He's been a perfect gentleman lately. I have to feed him away from the other roo so he comes to me and we go around the corner. He knows I'll protect him. Big baby!

I'm glad Mr. Brownie is behaving himself now. Maybe because you're there too? Who knows.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Brownie attacked the boys...now what? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page