Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Coop Next Topic  

pinkpearlgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Virginia
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  06:45:46 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are new to farming. We just moved onto our farm in November and we are attempting our first organic garden consisting of 12 raised beds. Our next adventure is going to be building a chicken coop. Anyone have ideas or resources of where we can find a chicken coop plan for 4-6 chickens?

Kelli

goingkelligreen.blogspot.com

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  07:33:39 AM  Show Profile
well hi there, welcome to MJ. i love my hens. we have enough to sell to pay for the feed for our own eggs. mother earth news magazine has plans on line.i have seen them made out of many things. i have seen swing sets turned into goat shelters and other items turned into coops. read up on what they need before you start to build it.we are moving so no more playroom and overnight bed for the gkids. we are going to use a nice bunk bed frame and turn it into a small shelter for two pet 4 h goats. papa can build anything. i wanted it to look cute. he can make anything. so thats our project now. recycle reuse.they need a draft free dry place to hang out on wet days. nest boxes need to be private. i use gravel from our pile for grit. you can but it but its rocks. they know what size to pick up. 16 percent protein to lay an egg. when days are short they could use added hours of light to keep laying. their regular cycle is spring eggs. i am sure some other farm girls will chime in.they on average through a year 2 eggs every 3 dats. some are better layers. i found if you sell eggs. my customers prefer brown not white eggs. just a thought or two sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:32:09 AM  Show Profile
Kelli,

Backyardchickens.com has many, many photos of coops. There are also several books dedicated to solely chicken coops. I am currently reading one put out by Storey publishing, and it is ok.

In your situation, I would highly recommend a 'chicken tractor'. They are sooooo nice to have for a small amount of hens. We used an A-frame design (you can Google "Chicken ark"). Right now my bunnies are in it, but it is so convenient! You cover the whole thing with 1/4" wire to keep out the predators, and I even added a hook for a heat lamp. There are some pics on my blog, which is listed in my siggy. You can type in Chicken tractor, and it should pull up some pics. I moved mine around with our 4 wheeler, though if it had better wheels, I wouldn't have had to do that.

I will try to post more pics to my blog. Also, we were able to create it out of about 90% recycled materials, too! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:26:38 PM  Show Profile
We use slab wood,(really cheap) poles cut from our woods(free) and chicken wire ..anything can be a coop, hubby made a cute one from and old night stand....
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
It doesnt have to be pretty just functionable. I would use what you can get cheap or free!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  11:28:26 AM  Show Profile
www.thecitychicken.com for tons of chicken tractor pictures, no plans, just ideas. Enjoy!

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Coop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page