Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 brooder bedding, organic chick feed and grit ?'s
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic brooder bedding, organic chick feed and grit ?'s Next Topic  

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile
I bought Nature's Bedding. Natural Pine Pellets for our brooder. I like the clumping, love the absorbancy too.
Do you use pellets or shavings? I looked at a lot of brooder pictures on back yard chicken . com and didn't see pellets. I saw lots of shavings, some newspaper and a few towels.

Also, my organic food is not just chick food or "crumbles" like I see mentioned. It that ok? They are eating well but I was wondering if the "crumbled" kind offeres something different that mine are not getting.

Also, at what age do you give them grit? I bought some but it is for Hens, not babies. How long should I wait? Some of the granite is big and some is like sand.
Should I pick through it and give them the tiny rocks only. They told me to give it since 2 chicks got a few pasty buns. But that was the first 5 days of life. They have not had it in 3 days.

I can tell they still drink water even though it has stuff in it. Mostly bedding. Is that safe? I am going out of town for 2 nights and will have our neighbor come 3 times a day but I doubt that will be enough to keep it cleaned out. I just can't ask her to do it more. Any ideas for me or should I just not worry about 2 days.
They will be 11 & 9 days old for those 2 days. Until then everything has been kept up really well.

Thanks for your help.
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  09:44:04 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, aren't they fun??!!!
We at first bought the Pine Pellets, but then hubby changed his mind and went to get pine shavings instead....not sure why, but I did like the idea of the pellets better. The shavings are working fine for me though, but I believe there is more dust with the shavings?
I can't help you with the organic food question, I was not able to find any around here.
Hubby bought grit for the chicks.... adult grit! I knew I wanted them to get used to eating grass clippings, lettuce, bugs, whatever, but I also knew they needed smaller grit. I happened to be in my local small grocery store last week, and just thought I'd look, and sure enough, they had parakeet grit! In the pet section. You can check around for that. I guess unless they are only eating their food, or yogurt, then they have to have the grit, and I didn't want to wait too long, because I want them to eat what I give them, not just what they want. You could try sifting what you have for the small particles. I think they are supposed to get about a teaspoon per day?
Someone on BYC, said we would drive ourselves crazy if we tried to keep their water clean all the time! Especially with these nuisance cornish x's that I have, that fling the bedding all the way across the box! I leave it alone, unless it is normally time to change it, or there is so much bedding I know that they can't get any water. One thing I do is use disposable gloves, and scoop the bedding out with my fingers, then I don't have to dump the whole thing.
Is she going to be cleaning out the brooder? You might want to have her just stir it up once to keep the smell down. I've noticed if I go too long between cleanings or at least stirring, I can start to smell it.
And, don't worry, I'm sure they'll be fine!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Stphanie- We use pine shavings for everything from brooders to the hen house. Yes, those babies need grit from about day 1. We buy chick grit and just throw a handful into the brooder each day. They will use what they need. Once my girls are out of the brooder and into a hen house where they have access to real ground I no longer give them grit unless it is winter and the ground is frozen then I will throw a handful on the ground. Keeping chicken water clean is impossible! It would help if you were to set it on a brick or something so it isn't directly on the ground. As far as you leaving for a few days my biggest concern would be the temp for the little girls. Make sure you have 2 light bulbs going in case one goes out they will still have a warm place to go. Also if you haven't done so yet go outside and get a big shovel full of grass/dirt and place it in the brooder with them-they will absolutly love you. It is amazing to watch them dig through the grass and dirt, especially if they find a bug or worm. Have fun with your little ones.

Lillian

Oh dear I didn't answer your question about food. Yes they need chick food. Chicken food for layers has too much calcium for their little bodies.

Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Brenda and Lillian! It is fun. I love it, I wish we were not going away, I'd rather never leave here.

One other thing....my biggest chick has a twitch. Everything else about it seems normal. It is a black australorp. I say it b/c we think it may be a he. Just because of the size difference.

I love the pellets! I was surprised that I didn't see other's using them in the brooder pics. I wondered if they were not good for their feet or something like that.

I will get some parakeet grit..that is the perfect size isn't it? Thanks.

My food is called Organic Pride Chick Starter/Grower. Any feelings about this? It doesn't say crumble anywhere on it. The pieces are different sizes though. The calcium says min .9 to max 1.10
I also have chick cracked corn for them too, they love that.

What about timothy hay? Could they have a bit of that?

So just go dig a patch of grass and drop the whole thing root, dirt, greens in there and they will be safe with it? I tried a few little clumps and they didn't care for it and I noticed a few pebbles in there and it made me think that maybe they were not big enough for it. They are 9 & 7 days old.

Thanks....I will be watching for your notes!
Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic brooder bedding, organic chick feed and grit ?'s Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page