Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ponies Next Topic  

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  10:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
My son does therapeutic riding, so I'd like to get him a pony. I know NOTHING about ponies, except that we have a great pasture. We live in a very northern area, and currently have no winter structure for a pony.

What else do I need to know....oh, hay won't be a problem. I'm really lucky my husband is an Agronomist with Extension, so food is taken care of. It's selection, age, training, and housing I'm worried about.

Thanks!

My son's blog (designed to keep in touch with Grandma and all her friends:
http://babycork.blogspot.com/

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  1:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alicia!! I hope this answers your questions! If not let me know!

Contain your pony in a safe pasture. Ponies need fencing similar to horses, but without large gaps under and between rails. A pony can roll under a fence more easily than a horse. Make sure the fence is low to the ground and has rails close together so the pony is not able to stick his head and legs through.

Keep predators away from your pony. Dogs and ponies do not mix well. Ponies are too small to defend themselves from dogs. Many ponies have suffered extreme wounds and even death because of a dog attack. Make sure stray dogs can't get inside the fence with your pony by putting up a wire fence with small sized squares.

Build a shelter for your pony. If you don't have a barn and stall for your pony, build a run-in shed. If she shares a pasture with other large horses, build the shed tall enough for the pony but low enough so large horses can't get into the shed. This may be the only place the pony can get away from the horse.

Clean your pony's hooves daily. Ponies have very delicate feet that are more fragile than most horse's hooves. The pony should be trimmed on a strict schedule of every six to eight weeks. Have a professional farrier trim your pony's hooves.

Feed your pony an adequate amount of feed and hay according to his body weight and health. If the pony is on pasture grass, he won't need as much hay. If the pony is not ridden or exercised much, he does not need feed. Ponies don't need as much food as horses do to stay healthy.

Exercise your pony daily. If she is not ridden much, allow her time in an open pasture to run around each day. Lunging is a great way to exercise a pony without riding her.

Hope this helps!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  7:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Alicia- There is a lot to know about horses- I would suggest taking some lessons for yourself before jumping into ownership. Maybe ask the instructor to teach you how to care for horses as opposed to riding. There are things you should know like how to halter and lead, how to control food, what vitamins and minerals the horse needs and what is and is not being provided by pasture. They should have at the very least a run in shelter for any kind of weather, but if they are going to be outside during the winter (depending on moisture and temperature) you might need a better shelter.

You need a good water source that can be routinely cleaned and easily filled. Horses drink roughly 12 gallons of water each day (ponies probably less but not by too much I would think) and one of the number one killers of horses can be caused by lack of water.

Another thing you need to look into is vet work. Are you going to give routine care like worming and shots yourself? Or pay for a vet to come out.

You'll also want to make sure there is safe fencing. Please don't use barbed wire. I have seen WAY too many horses get very seriously injured by barbed wire and uncapped t-posts.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. I think more research into the matter will ensure a happy outcome! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  03:45:58 AM  Show Profile
I would also suggest buying an older pony that has some miles on him and is very well trained....and know the person you are buying from! Get a referral from your local vet or someone from the riding program!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  07:10:27 AM  Show Profile
I agree with everyones comments. The only bad thing that happened to us, when we were just starting out and had a pony, was the fact, you can't leave them on spring pasture 24/7. They WILL founder. The is laming to the pony, and very costly.
My vet says if you have a pony, they will at some point founder, if you leave them on lush pasture.
Good luck

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  07:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Horses and Ponies are gluttons for lush spring pasture! They'll eat themselves sick.
Your son already does some theraputic riding? Talk with the people that run the group he's in. I'm sure you'll find someone there to show the ropes of horse/pony care. They may even know of some good ponies/small horses that would fit your son's needs. Perhaps they have had some offers of horses/ponies and just don't have the room for them. At the very least I would see if someone with the group would be able to help you in your search.

My horses do just fine in the harsh Great Basin winters with a run in shed (we call it a lean to). I do blanket my old lady if the weather gets really cold/harsh for long stretches.

Perhaps check the library for some general horse care books? Do some research. Horses/ponies are a big commitment. I consider them more of a life style than a pet.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  08:35:21 AM  Show Profile
One of the most expensive "pets", are horses/ponies. Are you able to call a vet in an emergency and shell out several hundred dollars in a blink of an eye. This does not include vaccinations, teeth floating, worming, hoof trimming/shoes. Then there is feed, most ponies do fine on #2 alfalfa grass mix, an average bale would last you about a week plus, feeding 2 x a day. You will need a pony proof corral/pasture, and shelter, at least 3 sided for the area where you live. Also remember, horses/ponies are herd animals, they are not happy at all being by them selves. I would highly recommend that you do some major research, before you go out and buy. Then make sure you bring someone with you who knows what to look for, and get a vet check before purchase.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  08:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
yup they are very expensive animals. Goats are just a little cheaper. lol I think the cost was for just normal care was $2,500 a year. It might be much for now.
Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  08:52:41 AM  Show Profile
I agree with pretty much all that has been said so far except the wire fencing with small squares. Although this wire is sold as horse fencing it can be very dangerous. The rescue recently had to put down a horse that had gotten his hooves stuck in the small squares and in his attempt to free himself he actually pulled his hooves off the bottoms of his feet. He had to be put down. Shetland ponies can have a mean streak and it sometimes doesn't show up until they are older. Welsh ponies are usually friendlier and more agreeable. Sometimes a small horse is a better choice because they do not get out grown as quickly as a pony. Your son will grow, the pony will not. They can be very smart and tend to cause problems just because they get into so much. Do get a good check out by the vet because they do tend to founder and are prone to Cushings.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  7:22:59 PM  Show Profile
I would just like to add that a pony by itself is a very lonely animal. They need companionship and will get into trouble without it.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  09:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
Good to know about the pasture....we always worry when we put the steers out in the first of spring too.

What about a goat and a pony as company. I hear the point of the small horse, but I'm afraid my son still needs a ride behind, at least for a couple more years, and that would be hard to do with just me at home.

It's funny you mentioned cost. At first I was donating a lot to the therapeutic center, thinking, well at least this is cheaper than owning a horse. but it's helped him so much, i want him to be able to ride more.

My son's blog (designed to keep in touch with Grandma and all her friends:
http://babycork.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  10:08:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend that has a goat in with her miniature horses and they do great together. The goat is happy and so are the ponies. I think that would work fine. Except I hear goats can get into trouble too. LOL

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  1:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Goats are notorious for getting into to trouble but they can be alot of fun too! Just make sure that the pony you get has been with goats and will like having one as a companion. Not all ponies like goats.A miniature donkey is also a good choice as a companion!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on all of the above especially about the need for companionship and the concern for foundering. Also, there is an equine adoption facility in Wisconsin by Marshfield that have a very active forum and can give you all sorts of equine support online. It's one of my favorite horse forums to watch and learn from.

http://mhwf.websitetoolbox.com/

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ponies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page