Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Food Inc. on PBS tonight at 9:00
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Food Inc. on PBS tonight at 9:00 Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  5:50:21 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd let ya'll know about this. It's on both Public stations. 2 hours. I have not seen it yet and will be watching.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  6:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the heads up Kristin! Watching it now. I've been wanting to see it.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  6:12:11 PM  Show Profile
I saw it on CBC Newsworld last week here in Canada. I recommend those who haven't seen this documentary yet, to watch it.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  6:18:44 PM  Show Profile
Good Lord in Heaven! I'm only 19 minutes into the program and I'm already bawling over the chickens and I want to throw up. I don't have any problems eating meat, but I think it's wrong for animals to be treated like that as a way of life :( And what the "farmers" have to endure just to make pennies! Ick!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow. Just wow.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile
food inc. king corn wallmart the credit card debt. all good whistle blower movies.pretty amazing what they are doing to our food. i called the milk dairy here. i ask if they use powder milk for milk. she said not for their whole milk. yes for their other products.the milk comes all the way from wash. to here for processing. sherry

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:48:59 PM  Show Profile
I just finished watching it on PBS---just stumbled across it.

I am FLOORED!

I am at a loss for words, Kristin.

When the ending credits were shown I was cheering!

This was a very eye-opening documentary and I came up to my computer to learn more about Monsanto and the packing houses and the immigrant laborers-Unbelievable.

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:49:13 PM  Show Profile
It is just too sad. I can't even think and I have a headache.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  8:06:39 PM  Show Profile
It is an excellent documentary. Everyone in the US should see it! I hope it changes the world. I will be buying "The Omnivore's Dilemma" soon, as well as "Fast Food Nation".

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  8:30:37 PM  Show Profile
i believe it is the tip of the ice berg. i know for me i can not even pronounce the words in most personal care items. our home products. most of the color in makeup comes from the same pigment colors for paint. we as a people are inundated with products for every convenience.with no real testing done first.just my thoughts sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile
I was shocked that, here in America, one company could have a monopoly over seeds with a patent. The one farmer had to travel far and wide just to find a different seed to use so that he could reuse it. This one company seems to be controlling entirely the type of soy bean that the farmers can plant. I have no problem with a company having a patent but there should be other seed options available for those farmers who want to save the seeds. This was a real eye opener for me and I'm so glad that I canned so many things that we're still eating from last summer. I may rethink my meat consumption which is not that much in the first place and I'll definately be rethinking fast food.

I kind of thought that being self-sufficient was brought about to save money, which is a good thing. However, the way our food is being processed puts a whole new spin on being self-sufficient. Must try harder.

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Apr 21 2010 8:52:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  05:42:20 AM  Show Profile
I watched it and recorded it for my DH. I have been becoming more self sufficient and buying local from farmers, but now I really am committed. I feel really bad for the farmers that Monsanto takes to court. It bankrupts them. This country really needs to get back to our agriculture roots and be good to the animals and the earth. We can make a difference, the consumer is powerful. It is just too bad that so many Americans eat the fast, preserved and cheap food that fuels the big companies and big agriculture. It seems that the government wants to control us on all levels...energy, health care and now food. I feel it in my gut that the huge number of people, especially children, with type II diabetes has something to do with our convenience foods. Also the growing obesity problem this country faces. Now, back to my garden...I am saving seed this year, I hope I don't break any laws or have the seed police knocking on my door!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  06:44:39 AM  Show Profile
Right now and all night long they have been hauling poor chickens off to the processing plant in Chattanooga. They have 4 chicken houses right scross the road from me. I didn't know they were there when we bought this place. It's over and down a hill so I never smell it. Until they start hauling truckloads of manure and chicken pieces to spread on the fields all around me. The house we moved from was in front of 4 chicken houses too. We smelled them all the time. That's why we moved. They are all around us here. I know of 3 others within 5 miles of us.

That poor man that had the machine that cleaned the seeds for farmers to save just broke my heart. They took him to court. He couldn't even talk to his friends that he'd had for over 50 years. He said there used to be 3 of those machines in every county in Indiana. Then there were just a few. And now since this documentary there are probably none. It's like a scary movie from the future.

I just planted True Gold heorloom corn a few days ago. As I was planting it I thought I hope it hurrys up and grows before they plant the field across the road with the Roundup ready GM corn. Because if they are pollinating at the same time my corn is going to get thrown away and will be useless. And yesterday I planted Silver Queen and Hickory King corn in the other field garden. I hope they are tassel at different times too. They have not started planting yet but have been spraying with who knows what over there. I do know the bees will be staying away from that stuff.

Tina, I so agree with you. I was the same way. But now I think we need to save seeds for our own survival. It's coming down to that one day and it seems to be getting closer.

I am just so sad about the whole animal processing part. The CAFOs and the corn they feed them and all the antibiotics that are put into these animals that are still in the meet that people are buying. And cooking DOES NOT get them out. In fact, cooking the meat only intesifies all the crap that's in the meat, including copper. And for Walmart to be involved, the biggest food chain around, is scary to me to. They seem to be everywhere these days. Every other commercial is Walmart. Truck drivers trying to conserve fuel so "we can live better". Store employees doing things so "we can live better". It just makes me sick. My husband drives a truck and delivers at least 2 loads a week to Walmart. I will take their money but they will get none of it back from me. I hate their slogan too. "Saving you money so you can live better." Palease! I know they are trying to get more organic foods into the store but really, who's gonna buy them there? Who even knows what they are?

I think I am going to get a pig again. And some more meat chickens again. And only eat what we raise here. I think I have finally gotten to the last straw after seeing this. And when was this filmed? I wonder what it's like right now, today. I don't think it's better. Probably a whole lot worse. And that's the sad part.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, when will it be on again? I need to watch it. I was just watching the "Bonnie Hunt Show", and she had the guy that started the whole investigation thing. It showed different clips from the movie. I need Hubby to see it. Every time I talk to him about raising meat chickens, he says he is not going through all that, when he can go to the store and buy it for $3.00.!
Kris, I hope when my hubby sees it, he will build a better pig pasture, and maybe we will get some too!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  07:37:56 AM  Show Profile
The segment on the chicken industry will floor him, Gena. I'm just in awe of how unaware I was. I don't know when it will air again, but I know that my local library system has a copy of the movie that I picked up once, but never had a moment to watch it before it had to be back to the library. Maybe see if your library carries it? Also, you might be able to ask to borrow it from someone on facebook or craiglist or even on here. If I had it, I'd loan it to you for a while. The word needs to get out and I think that anyone who has a copy would be more than willing to let you borrow it.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Ijust don't understand why they have to be so mean to those poor animals, especially when they are down. I had to turn it when they were showing the poor cows. I just cry every time. And the poor chickens. Just kicked around and thrown on piles when they aren't even dead yet. And the pigs. Oh my goodness. How could anyone treat an animal like that? It's so inhumane and nothing is done about it. And here Paula Deen, whom I love dearly, supports Smithfield, one of the worst pig operations around. I'm sure it's so much deeper than we can even imagine. The things that go on around us and we just don't know.

I am going to the Bonnie Hunt show on her site and watch the guy Gena was talking about. I'd like to see what he said.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 22 2010 09:44:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:56:58 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

I went online last night and looked up Tar Heel NC where the big Smithfield processing plant is....a pretty rural and out of the way place I think the town has about 70 people living there. Out of sight out of mind?

I had to switch channels too when they were showing the cows that were down----

Like they were saying if we can take on the Tobacco Companies, which we did we can take on Monsanto and Smithfield. The people interveiwed like that poor farmer who sold cleaned seeds---it was like something out of a movie--He looked scared, sad, afraid and ready to give up.

Do you think it's just because the majority of people just don,t care? Or don't have a clue of what is really happening in those processing plants?

In my family there is a very high incidence of Adult onset diabetes I as appalled at the statistics saying what the incidence is now 1-3? and 1-2 for minorities.

What can one person do??

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:11:33 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I'll have to go look into that also. Thanks. I knew it was in N.C. but didn't know where exactly.

I just watched the director on the Bonnie Hunt show on line. Bonniw was saying she sat next to a guy who worked at one of these mega food companies. He will not eat the food he makes there. His family has a small farm and they grow their food and that's what they eat. Now how scary is that? He'll make the "food" but will not let his family eat it. I always wondered about that. So that's what got her to look at Food Inc. then have the director on her show. She showed the movie before the show. There was one lady that had to leave. She cried and said it was just so sad how these animals are treated she just couldn't watch it.

So on www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/ you can click on "watch video' and see the whole movie til the 29th of April.

I think one person can rock the boat. Who knows what that one chicken farmer lady will do because of this. It just takes one person to talk to another person and that will get the ripple going.

Did ya'll notice the filler meat in the boxes? That's what our children and grandchildren are being fed in our schools.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  02:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey guys, I know the "Smithfield" brand very well. It is more on the eastern part of the state. They sell that brand of pork products all over NC. It just so happens, I have never used that brand before. I have eaten at their resturant before though. I am glad I didn't like it, and never ate there again.
I don't figure the "Gwaltney" brand is probably much better. It is going to be so hard to not eat any bacon. When we butchered our pig, we didn't do any in bacon.
This is overwhelming and I haven't even seen nearly all the movie!!!

Go to Top of Page

chrystaldale
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Chrystal
WV
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  09:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello all! I just watched this for the first time this morning. I was appalled at what they showed. I knew things were bad, but this was a real eye opener. I am commited to being more self sufficent now, I always raise a garden and buy local foods in the summer to can. We also raise hogs every other year and hunt for wild foods,such as deer. I feel like we need to do more though.It will be on PBS again today at 2:00 and tonight at 7:00 eastern time. Everybody needs to watch it and record it for all their family and friends to watch.
If anyone is interested here is a link to Joel Salatins website.
http://www.polyfacefarms.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile
This movie was made in 2007. I have seen a lot of films on food issues on FSTV and LINK TV that are viewer sponsored stations as well as the doc channel. This has been going on for so long. Then there are the genetically altered fish that they swear are sterile and can't cross with the wild ones if the get loose.....hmmm. I have raised as much as I can of what we eat for nearly 30 yrs. and for me it was never about money but about quality. It's like the cost of canning jar lids going so sky high. You can't even get a price break (at least not one I could find) for buying full cases. The industry doesn't want us to can our own.

Let's face it, growing a garden, raising animals, and preserving food is a lot of work and most people don't a) want to work that hard b) swear that there is no time c)say they can buy it so much cheaper etc. I ran my own company, worked mega hours and still managed to raise animals and a large garden and put the food up so I don't buy the no time issue. My philosophy is two-fold - where you place your time is where you place your life and anything grown with love can't hurt you.

If you haven't watched it be sure to check out King Corn - I saw that someone mentioned it on the previous page. As to Monsanto, there is greed in it's glory. The stories about some of the things that company have done to indiginous people around the world and their local seeds that they have been growing for generations is truly a travesty. We need to find a way to stop them. There are monopoly laws in this country I think it's about time we dust them off???

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  12:56:08 PM  Show Profile
If you have Netflix, you can watch it instantly online.

~Tina

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  2:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I stayed up late Wednesday and watched the show. The manager of our local Farmers Market had sent out an email letting us know it was going to be on. I pretty much knew what it was going to be about but not to what extent. I felt really bad for the lady that still had the old style chicken barn and didn't want to change because she was trying to do what she could for the poor chickens. I type medical reports as my job and I did one a couple of months ago about a guy who worked in a chicken barn collecting eggs. He worked 9 to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, picking up eggs off the floor. He also had a quota to fill. Not surprisingly, his back was bothering him. So, not only do they abuse the livestock but they abuse the workers too!!!

I have heard of Polyface Farms and all the good things they are trying to do. I never realized how young Joel Salatin is. Hopefully, with all the media exposure, more people will realize where their food is coming from and demand changes!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  4:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Joel S. has had his share of court dates. It seems like every time that man turns around some one is on his back. I love what he's doing though. He has a book out something about everything I do is ilegel.

Sheri, I agree with what you are saying. What's more important? We have to decide for ourselves and our families.

Candy, not only are the workers having back problems but the air they breath is contaminated. Did you notice all the people in the shicken processing plants wearing masks? And I have been inside a commercial chicken house. I could only stand by the door, not go all the way in. The smell will knock you off your feet. It's awful. I can't imagine what it does to people's lungs that have to be in them for so long. And what's it doing to the poor chickens??

I met a kindred spirit today. Right across the ridge. She sells heirloom plants she's growing in a little green house!! She has Lamancha and Nubian goats and chickens and does most of the gardens by herself. Just like me. She's so neat. But I am so happy to be meeting and talking to people that are the same page. I am finding more and more people are asking questions and researching and checking into things. It's exciting!

Gena, the last pigs I raised I didn't get bacon either. I just got the jowls and stuff like that. More sausage. But I had been buying thick cut bacon from Aldi's and I started noticing it was hurting when I ate it. So I have quit buying that bacon. It had nitrates and was not good for me at all. So now I buy from Earthfare. It's a natural bacon with no nitrates and fairly local. I am going to a farm next weekend and will see about getting some of their pastured pork.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:04:17 PM  Show Profile
I wonder why my PBS station isn't showing this. HMM, wonder if Smithfield has something to do with it! I am telling you, I went through the guide for my PBS, and NOTHING!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Gena, go to the link I posted up above and you can watch it on the computer. It may have something to do with Smithfield being in NC. Hmm. Very interesting indeed.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Food Inc. on PBS tonight at 9:00 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page