Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  12:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think having the windows open on a bright beautiful spring time day is such a gift! I am cleaning my house, shampooing carpets and I have the windows wide open! The air is so fresh and clean!

I hate breathing old stuffy "winter" air when the air outside is so beautiful! Plus it is healthier for us too! Most modern furniture, wall paint, and floor coverings outgas into our atmosphere. This outgasing is incredibly unhealthy for us. I have heard that our household air can be something like 9x more toxic than city smog sometimes! Yikes! That's pretty gross!

Speaking of fresh clean air, I think I am going to take down my window sheers and wash them so they are nice and clean too....

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  1:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Alee...I just came in from gardening---I had to cover my strawberry plants because they are calling for a hard frost and temperatures plummeting to 28-degrees tonight.

The wind is whipping off the bay and I can hear the waves crashing...

I am thinking about getting on a bus and heading your way!! LOL.

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  1:20:48 PM  Show Profile
melody,
Maybe we should try a road trip sometimes
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  1:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
The weather is different every where sisters. Here it is raining and we washed our camper anyway that was the plan for the day. Now the grass will need cutting again. The temps are in the 50''''''''s so not so bad. Glad to see the birds happy in the rain. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  2:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ladies- you are welcome any time!! Right now it is 71 degrees out with just a slight breeze. We are supposed to have rain later this week but only for a day or two. I wish it stayed this temperature all year long. It's so beautiful!

Oh and I am getting my shelves/catchall unit that is in our living room cleaned off. I have 3 out of 5 shelves cleaned, reorganized and polished. I decided to stack all of my MJF magazines so I can see their titles and propped one of the old calendars up so I can see the picture on top of the stack.

I popped out and mowed the front yard while Nora is napping- it didn't take too long and now the front yard looks much more tidy.

Oh and the curtains are washed and rehung. It's nice to see the brighter color and no more cobwebs! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

tawandasister
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Sadiemae
Wolcottville Indiana
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  10:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Love the windows open too :) My DH brought home the 16ft step ladder from work so I could clean the beams and ceiling fan (we live in an A-Frame and the ceilings are 30ft at the peak!) luckly the beams are down lower closer to 20ft....and my word were they dirty! They did not get done last year - yikes!!

But now - they are clean and fresh and the air in the house smells so much cleaner and fresh :) Thankyou Lord for Spring sunshine and cleaning!

Still have to tackle the bedroom carpets....

:)Sadiemae
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  09:29:43 AM  Show Profile
I have been cleaning inside because the temp dropped outside and it has snowed the last few monings!
But the garden soil needed attention so I finally just went out there and got things done before the iceballs came raining down!

Funny thing was, last week we had above normal temps and I had all the windows open all day and even got to take a nap on the couch with the warm breeze blowing through the house.

I'm hoping the warm temps come back soon...
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Me too Calra!! It has been the same here. I am very sad that the temps have dropped so dramatically this week. I think I will still leave my bedroom window slightly cracked during the day today though. It isn't supposed to get cold again until tonight.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  08:24:01 AM  Show Profile
I love the open windows but I do a lot of fermenting foods and the fruit flies have already found me this season lol!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  4:23:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee:
It was 92 degrees in Louisiana today. I had the A/C on so the windows remained closed, LOL! And, my inside cats would try to escape if I had the windows opened. LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marly- 92 is VERY warm for me right now. I like wearing sweaters a bit! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Alee- 92 is a little warm for me, too, right now. But, that's Louisiana weather. LOL. How is Tala doing? You haven't mentioned her in a while, or I missed it if you did. Take care.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  06:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marly- Right now the temp here is 30 degrees. I am looking forward to when the temperature is a bit more moderate during the night time. At least this morning we have some sunshine so after all that rain I hope we get some good plant growth! My plant babies are still hanging out in the garage with the southern window. The only thing I worry about is that it is a double window so I hope enough light gets in!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  07:43:47 AM  Show Profile
i am hoping to be home tomorrow and fling all the doors and windows OPEN...today has a big to do list. tomorrow is mt day. i love the feeling that comes when i have a whole day to me. papa is gone. i love him so much. BUT when he is gone i do not cook dinner. i eat at 3. gives me a whole new part of the day. i know i want to do my windows. i have inside done. if the weather will cooperate. you girls were talking weather. i spoke with my sister in burns. she told me they had such a high wind that 50 telephone/electric poles came down.one mans 1/4 mile pivet was thrown in the air. over the hill through 2 fences the highway another field. to be found twisted and wrapped in wires and poles. they said high freak wind not tornado. holy mackeral. its been gentle and kind weather here. so glad. a lot to do. tomorrow will be strawberry digging day.
Alee i will get yours packed up and out by friday.
when we get a little above 30 which it is now i am flinging open the doors. i love fresh cool clean air happy days sherrye

when i look at all the posts alee and kris and teresa,some of the girls have been here so long. i am grateful for the privledge of being included in such a fine group of woman. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  08:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds great Sherry!! I appreciate it. Let me know how much the shipping is and I will send you out money right away.

It was crazy windy here the past couple of days and we are supposed to get snow tonight/tomorrow!! Yuck!! I will be covering my poor little strawberry plants for sure! Right now it is beautiful if a bit chilly out.

When I came home last night the wind had knocked two huge branches off trees in my front yard and had to park my Jimmy almost in front of the next house because of the branches.

It's amazing to be a witness to the changes in the spring weather. It really makes you respect the power this earth has to change at a moment's notice!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile
I also love to open the windows. The issue I have is that my son has terrible allergies. I go through opening them and he goes right behind me closing them. He says I am trying to kill him.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  12:59:15 PM  Show Profile
i know sometimes it seems nothing helps allergies. some say eating raw unfiltered local honey helps. it helps the immune system balance. just a thought for you delicia. you paobably have tried everything already.

alee i am going to help with some clydesdale hooves. it is snowing sideways got my warm bibs and vest.happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  4:53:37 PM  Show Profile
He does love honey so I will give that a try. I had not heard that. Thank you so much Sherrye for the great idea.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:10:31 AM  Show Profile
delicia, want to bee ..lol.. sure you buy raw unfiltered honey.glass is best. best eaten cold or room temp not in something hot.this way he is getting small bits of the natural environment in his system. body learns how to cope (adapt) with load.the natural wax in jar is good to chew to clean your teeth. it tastes so good. maybe there is a bee farmgirl close to you. you could get honey from her. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:47:49 AM  Show Profile
It's 63 right now and a little breezy but I have a couple of windows open. I like to have the kitchen window open when I am baking so when my honey comes home from work he can smell home made bread :)

I am smelling the faint scent of Alfalfa right now too. I love it but when cutting season starts the windows will be closed (allergies)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  10:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh man,
I used to love the smell of alfalfa out in the fields when we where in Kansas.
To this day if an alfalfa truck goes by with a load, I have to take a looong sniff just for the memories.
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  05:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Carla- you should plant some alfafa in a pot and grow some. I love the smell too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  5:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I think having the windows open on a bright beautiful spring time day is such a gift! I am cleaning my house, shampooing carpets and I have the windows wide open! The air is so fresh and clean!

As soon as I get up in the morning windows get opened, doors get opened to let the fresh air in, (yes I have screen doors) and the bedding is pulled back to air the sheets out. Then I shower, eat and by then the beds are made.

Thankfully I like a nap in the afternoon, so lay outside between working in the vegetable garden, as the chickens go about their work, and since I have a bed net above the hammock I can nap for half an hour bug free

~Beth~

~I am the best of France and California~
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh man Beth,
You are spoiled!

Hey Alee,
Never thought of doing that!

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  11:14:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you, as soon as it gets over the freezing mark and the windows thaw they're open, even for a short period. There's nothing like fresh air to wake a place up.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  3:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree, AnneMarie! I love the windows being open! I don't necessarily like cleaning, but tomorrow will be a beautiful day and the windows WILL be open and fresh air will be rushing through the house. I am also going to shampoo our mattresses and have them air dry in that nice clean air. Nothing like sleeping on a clean mattress!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Open Windows! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: