pgngrl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
New Berlin WI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  09:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!! Anyone else tried this? http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/
I'm going on day 7 and loving it (THOUGH I like regular vinegar over apple cider vinegar).

I'm looking for ways to simplify and be a bit more natural, and found this.

What other types of natural shampoo / conditioner recipes are you using?
BB
~Laurie

Jamie snorted briefly and picked up a needle and a ball of yarn.
“It’s no verra difficult, Sassenach. Look- this is how ye cast up your row.”
Drawing the thread out through his closed fist, he made a loop round his thumb, slipped it onto the needle, and with a quick economy of motion, cast on a long row of stitches in a madder of seconds. Then he handed me the other needle and another ball of yarn. “There – you try.””
-- Diana Gabaldon, Drums of Autumn*

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Laurie, I have been trying it for about 6 wks, I like it. the shampoos tend to try my hair out and it's doing much better on the baking soda, vinegar. good luck with your experiment. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

pgngrl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
New Berlin WI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  11:03:33 AM  Show Profile
Are you using ACV? or regular white vinegar? Thank you!! ~ L
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:04:27 AM  Show Profile
I have made a mix of liquid castle soap with a 1/2 vinegar and some water.
I use that once then the baking soda and white vinegar for a second round.
It works just fine. My hair is soft and clean. An that's something for someone with an afro!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  07:55:26 AM  Show Profile
LOL Carla! I had a little girl earlier this yearin my kindergarten class who BEGGED her mom to let her wear her hair in an afro (like mom's) instead of braids. Mom shared many a concern about having to keep up with it after shampoos and combing it out. I wish I could share your post with her! It was very funny because not long after she made the change LOTS of the other girls were begging their mom's to let their hair go "natural" but none of them gave in, yet!

I gave this a try on my very limp, fine, over long hair last night and my hair had all kinds of body this morning. A little tingling after the vinegar rinse, though. I tend to have sensitive skin, so I'm guessing I'll just have to give my scalp some time to adjust and rinse like crazy.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  09:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie, sorry I didn't answer sooner. I use ACV about a tablespoon in about 2 cups warm water. works really well. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  06:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh Amy
Try mixing your vinegar rinse half and half with water. I have the same problem.
It still works great but doesn't irritate like straight vinegar.

I don't know, I get these older women who say "I wish I had your curly hair."
And I say, "I wish I could give it to you."

I'm doing better with it now that I have been using natural ingredient shampoo and a real good commercial conditioner.
I use the work in hold stuff in the tube that's made of tea tree oil.
It's better than the plastic stuff that the kids use, even though it's about ten dollors a tube from the hair salon].

Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  8:26:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm curious about trying this. My dd is in cosmetology school and is always telling me about how the chemicals in most shampoos are bad for your hair. She has never mentioned this method though - lol.
I'm a bit worried about having greasy looking hair- but I think I'll try it and see what happens.

has anyone tried adding a drop of essential oil? I'm wondering how that would work (lavender, tea tree? )
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  10:16:44 PM  Show Profile
I found a natural pre-shampoo conditioner that is working wonders on my hair. It's Burt's Bees avocado butter with rosemary and nettle. I looked at all the ingredients and I could probably make it myself if I knew the amounts to use. I use a very small amount of a cheap drugstore shampoo and I made a spray of ACV-water-rosemary-nettles-glycerin that seems to be working well. The ACV makes hair shine and the glycerin helps keep it under control.

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  07:00:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy, yes you can add essential oils to the ACV rinse. I found that if I use straight vinegar, my hair feels almost sticky. however when I dilute it(don't rinse after) it works well. you hair may feel a little oily for a while, takes a while for your hair and scalp to get used to the change. for the essential oils, tea tree is great for dandruff, rosemary too. anything you enjoy the smell of is ok too. I sometimes put lemon E.O. and I smell like a salad dressing until my hair dries.

my hair does get oily faster than it used to, but then again the other shampoos dried my hair out really badly.

Prariehawk, the spray sounds like a great idea, my hair does seem to have a mind of it's on the day I shampoo. thanks for sharing. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

carishumaker
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

cari
seabeck wa
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  10:55:00 PM  Show Profile
I've been poo free for 3 years now! I've found that if I mix tea tree oil in the baking soda mixture any scapl problems I've had go away. I don't remember feeling oily, in fact, I only have to wash my waist length hair every 4 days and it doesn't seem oily at all. When I was using shampoo I had to wash at least everyother day.
We only use baking soda for toothpaste,too. My 8 yo tried some of his cousins bubblegum flavored toothpast and hated it, saying he missed his baking soda!
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  10:20:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cari, welcome !!! thanks for sharing your experience with the baking soda. I'm really liking it, I will have to try the tea tree oil, do you mix the baking soda into a paste then add the tea tree?? I have always had dry hair and an oily scalp, which makes no sense I know. LOL. I have really thick hair and it seems to easier to manage with the baking soda.

I use baking soda for toothpaste too. funny about your son and the bubblegum toothpaste. LOL. you are getting him off to a good start. take care Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

crystalgayle
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Crystal
Poseyville Indiana
USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  7:45:33 PM  Show Profile
My kids and I have been shampoo free since July, 2007. I took a while for me to get the right mix for my hair. I have waist long hair, very thick.

I only use the baking soda once every couple of months. I use the apple cider vinegar about once a week. The other days, I just scrub scrub my scalp. I also use MudMonkey soaps and about once a month, I'll rub some on my head.

I found what totally changed my scalp (I always had dry face/scalp) was completely giving up coffee and drinking loads more water. Within one week of being off caffeine and upping the water, my scalp was no longer dry.

I have to change around in the winter time and use the vinegar more often, but not much.

I use tea tree oil or olive oil once every couple of weeks as a detangler.

It is easy to be beautiful; it is difficult to appear so...Frank O'Hara
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  2:32:57 PM  Show Profile
I only use Dr Bronners or Ivory to wash and rinse with ACV. I have had more compliments than ever.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

carishumaker
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

cari
seabeck wa
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:01:06 AM  Show Profile
I just keep a container of baking soda in my bathroom and before I get in the shower i mix a bit of it in my tupperware with hot water, shake it up to disolve and then add a drop or two of TTO and any other EO I want. Same goes for ACV, I have a big container of it in my shower and I just mix it with water in a cup and rinse.
Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I decided it was time to give up shampoo. It's just about out at any rate. While I've been buying stuff from the local natural store, I'd like to be able to do most anything or make most anything myself. Here's hopeing for positive results.

www.theporcelaindesk.blogspot.com
1 Tim. 6:8 But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that.
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic No 'poo method Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page