Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Gal friends, put your thinking caps on and give me some ideas to bring back to India....on how to recycle DVD's. This one NGO is making beautiful folders out of the old tapes used for Videos.....but soon that will be a thing of the past. Ideas appreciated.

Beverly Gill

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:46:45 AM  Show Profile
I know you can make drop spindles from them for spinning. When my daughter was in fashion design school, she drilled holes in them, hooked them together with jump rings and made a dress (believe it or not) out of them for a fashion show!! Just goes to show it's only as limited as one's imagination. That dress sure looked amazing under the lights at the big show. It was even used in an advertising lay out later for a hi-tech company.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile
I found this site: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/musichall/CDroms.htm

I have seen some using the dvd's to scare away birds and other critters. Also seen them used as a screen... mobiles, room dividers.
(shrugs)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures

Edited by - Karrieann on Mar 10 2010 3:13:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:48:51 PM  Show Profile
thanks ever so much---this is a big help.

Beverly
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  7:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Or, if you feel like dancing, I had a friend who made a disco ball out of old DVDs and a rubber ball :}

Kylie

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:34:52 PM  Show Profile
I saw a necktie made out of cassette tape film... 125$ but it was neat

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hot glue a marble on one side of the hole and a plastic pop bottle top to the other side of the hole and you now have a spinning top. Glue marble and top so the blank side is up and use markers to decorate. Kids love making them and then having spin offs. I have also used them as clock faces.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  02:07:22 AM  Show Profile
They make great minimalist/artsy drink coasters. You can decorate them or just turn them over and
use the silver side-up.
blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  6:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Supposedly, they are good for hanging in your vegetable garden to keep birds away from your vegetables or fruits.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  6:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
I have been saving DVDs for years with the idea of making a mobile or something - my plan was to hot-glue them together, with the shiny sides out, and a piece of fishing line (or whatever I decide to use to hang them) between the two. Then I was going to decorate them with dimensional fabric paint in glittery and metallic colours, maybe even glow-in-the-dark. Haven't gotten around to actually making it yet, but the idea is there.. :-) I have seen them used as the base for a Christmas tree craft at Scouts, and my best friend Sarah uses them to make drop spindles which she gives to the people who take her spinning classes at SCA events.

I'm sure I'll send this and then think of a bunch of other things, so if I do, I'll post them later. Good luck, and just get creative!

Lis
*the Sourceress*
unschooling mama to
Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)
Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile
You can use the DVD empty case covers for keeping your paints moist when painting. open up the case, put your paint dabs in a circle like a color wheel...and when you're done for the moment, close up the case and it keeps your paints moist til next time...we learned this in a painting class...

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  07:29:59 AM  Show Profile
I once saw a cute idea for a children's craft. Purchase small figurines (winter, ice skating type) And glue a small magnet to the base of each one. Hold the dvd/cd in one hand, place the figurine on top and using another magnet under the dvd/cd and make the figurines ice skate.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  12:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Most paper shredders now have a slot for shredding CDs. I haven't figured out very many uses these for - but they are beautiful! I put some in tiny bottle with sand and shells and soldered the tops with an added loop to hang them with; I've put them inside a glass ornament.

? maybe some of you use the shredded CDs too?? any ideas?
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic pupose for recycled dvd's Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page