Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How do you know if an egg is stuck?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How do you know if an egg is stuck? Next Topic  

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  08:25:09 AM  Show Profile
I have a chicken that just started to lay. Now she is walking poorly, doesnt want to go to far from the coop, and keeps laying down like she is trying to lay an egg. I do not see any sign of an egg from this chicken, but when she is out she just keeps laying in the grass. I check the grass but see no eggs. Could she have an egg stuck? If so I quess that is the end of that chicken, right? Plus the other chickens are starting to peck her so I think this can not end well.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Don't give up on her! You will need to isolate her from the others because you're right, they will harrass her and she will go downhill fast. Get some mineral oil and liberally lubricate the vent area, massage gently so the oil gets into the egg tract and hopefully it will grease up the area well enough to allow the egg to pass. If she's a young layer, it may be a very large double yolker or even an egg within an egg. Younger hens are notorious for not being quite regulated yet and getting an enormous egg stuck. Good luck with her.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How do you know if an egg is stuck? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page