True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  9:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls,

I was wondering if anyone had a great recipe for Posole? My husband really likes this, I tried one recipe and it was pretty good, but I am looking for the best ;) Thanks girls :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Apr 18 2010 1:25:01 PM

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  03:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried www.allrecipes.com? Those recipes are also rated. I have found many a wonderful recipe that way. Good Luck Sharon!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  3:55:23 PM  Show Profile
You boil a decent sized pork roast. In the water you add a lot of chopped onions and a fair amount of oregano. You can adjust and add more at the end of cooking. This is what I do with onions and oregano. You also need to get a few large cans of hominy. You can cook the dried hominy, it just takes longer. The canned are just as good. You will also need some red chili powder, some red chile pods and some red chile flakes. I do a mix of all, but the bulk of my chile flavor comes from the pods. I take the stems off and drop them into the soup wo cook with the meat. When the meat is tender, pull it out and cut it up. You can do this ahead of time if its easier. Salt to taste. It tastes best with a few hours of simmer time.

The meat of the chile pods will cook down and you pull out the skins of the pods. I do this right before serving.

Serve with some hot tortillas. My family lines up when I make this. Its our Christmas day dinner along with the tradtionals.

Email me if you have questions. I have been making this all my life and dont really have a recipe. I wrote it down once for my nephew. If I find that I will post it. Making a big batch is good since this freezes very well.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  5:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie and Robin :) I know that all-recipes and recipezaar have plenty of recipes but I was hoping for a tried & true from a farmgirl :)

Robin,

About how many large cans of hominy do you use? That's good to know that it freezes well too!

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  9:27:02 PM  Show Profile
I typically use one of the restaurant size cans...Its probably like 4 medium cans. I consider the small can to be just larger than a soup can. I make a lot because all of my family eats it up and wants leftovers and I still like to freeze it fior a future meal.

We use the tortillas sort of as a spoon. Let me know next time you are in Denver and we can cook up a batch!
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Another recipe from the Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. I have made this with pork, beef, chicken and goat stew meat. It is ALL good! :)

Posole
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pound boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
4 to 6 cloves garlic, to your taste, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Two 15-ounce cans white hominy, rinsed and drained
One 7-ounce can diced roasted green chiles with their juice
6 cups chicken broth (beef if using beef or goat meat)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown half the meat in one tablespoon of the olive oil until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to the slow cooker and repeat with the remaining oil and meat. Add everything EXCEPT the cilantro to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours. Stir in the cilantro and cook on LOW for another hour.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  09:38:49 AM  Show Profile
I lost my mind...you add some garlic to the meat. Salt to taste.
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  11:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Julie-that recipe site is great, just found a marinade and a glaze for salmon for grilling. Just bought some salmon and my son is going to try it today! Thank you for posting it:)
Blessings,

Sharon
Farmgirl Sister #1393
*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Robin,

Thanks! I love to make more for the freezer too :) You know, I have never been to Denver (other than the airport). Someday :) And when I do we shall have a Posole Party!

Candy,

Thanks for posting the recipe. I tried one very similar but was looking for a recipe that had more of a chili-base. We had friends that made some and that is how my husband likes it. I do appreciate you posting! Oh, what does goat taste like? What breed of goat? Just curious, we have alot of farmers in our area that raise Boer Goats and I heard that they were a breed for meat.

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  2:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Sharon,

I thought the goat tasted kinda like beef, only with more flavor. Since I have dairy goats, I never really wanted to eat goat but I bought some at the Farmers Market last fall to try. DH and I both were really impressed with the taste. It was probably a Boer goat but I'm not real sure.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  6:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Candy :) I'm always curious as to how other meats taste :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Posole Recipe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page