chrystaldale
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Chrystal
WV
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:36:14 AM  Show Profile
I made a batch of homemade yogurt that wasnt thick enough for me, so I decided to make some yogurt cheese with it. I have never made it and it seems simple enough,..so my question is since I am new to this is,..has anyone else here made it and how did you use it??,..and did you add other ingredients to it to make spreads or dips?? Thanks everyone!

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  7:40:50 PM  Show Profile
I replied to this, but it did not post! Sorry about that!!
The other post was better, but I have to get to slumberland here pretty soon!
i do make cheese from yogurt, kefir, and villi- whatever I have. It works better if the yougurt is slightly old or over cultured. The whey will come out better. I heat mine to 100 deg. F. Then I oftern let is sit for up to a couple of hours. I pour it into a flour sack towel that is lining a collander. After a bit, I gather it all up in the towel, twist, and squeeze. I weigh it down with a mason jar full of water after I twist. That helps push out the whey. I do not salt mine, but you can. I wrap it in Cling Wrap, to store it.
I use it just like cream cheese. If you have enough, you can make a cheesecake. I like to add fresh or dried herbs, salt, and fresh garlic to make a dip/ spread. It can go on toast, crackers, baked potatoes, veggies, etc. It is a big hit!!! I mash the plain cheese into potatoes or potatoes boiled with turnips. I sometimes bake that mixture, or we just eat it! I make mine with 1/2 gallon to a gallon of yogurt , so I get a good yield. You can just strain yogurt through a cloth, and that makes cheese, too.
~ Mary LD
( Hope this posts!!)

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

Edited by - MaryLD on Apr 22 2010 7:42:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

chrystaldale
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Chrystal
WV
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your reply! I finished mine up this morning and it turned out fantastic!So I took the other three jars of yogurt and put it in my colander to drain. I love how thick and creamy it is! So good with honey and fruit,..yum!
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  1:47:22 PM  Show Profile
I strain mine using a colander lined with a coffee filter in the fridge. You can spice it up with roasted garlic and make veggie dip. One thing I would like to try is baking with it.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  6:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Chrystal, did you heat yours or just strain it?
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

chrystaldale
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Chrystal
WV
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile
Mary, I just put it in the colander and strained it. The other batch turned out great too! Thanks for all the ideas. I believe in the morning Im going to use the whey from it to make pancakes,..or maybe biscuits.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Yogurt Cheese Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page