Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Stories from us widow women.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Stories from us widow women..... Next Topic
Page: of 14

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Sheri: So sorry you have had it so hard so early But it is great to have lost a true love then to have never had one at all no matter how much time you may have together.

Teresa: Like you say it is your life and what and how you do it is only for you and your soul and who cares what others think. They will get there day.

Susie:

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Sheri: Sorry you were so young when you lost your love. It is truly true. To love and lose is better then never to have loved at all. We all have family and friends who truley do not know love.

Teresa: You go girl what ever you do is right for you and who cares what others think. Their day will come.

Susie: Waiting to hear the rest of your story you are hanging me on. There is nothing better then a love story better yet when it is the real thing. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  2:03:03 PM  Show Profile
Dale passed away just almost 16 months ago. Seems like yesterday. He had melanoma, he passed away at home, where he wanted to be. I was by his side. It was the toughest thing I ever did.
We first met when my dad, who was a pastor, was filling the pulpit for another pastor, and had asked my brother and sister and I to come do special music. After the service Dale came up to me and we started talking. I was very smitten by him. He was in the army, stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA, I lived in Or. That was August of '80. In Dec of that year, my dad took the call to come start a sister church, Dale would be one of the members helping to start the church. My family move up in Jan of 81. We were engaged in March, and married in July of 81. Dale had the most incredible smile, that made his eyes twinkle. I have a picture of him 2 weeks after we found out the cancer was back. He had just run an olympic triathlon, won in his age group, and was sporting his metals. He was smiling one of those smiles that would make me melt. I miss those smile. How often in a tough situation, all he had to do was smile and all seemed well, even when he was dying.
I think the hardest part for me is that having been a homemaker for 27 years, always having been taken care of, I now have to work outside the home. I don't like that. I am so a homebody, now I am the head of the home and the sole provider. I feel often that as soon as Dale took his last breathe, I was thrown headlong into being in charge, without a real chance to just have time to grieve. Making those little changes that move me forward, I often times feel guilty, as I feel Dale is being replaced and forgotten, yet at the same time, I know he would want me to move forward, and I know I will NEVER forget him. How can I when I look at my 3 beautiful daughters, and especially my precious grandson, who now bears Dale name. Grief is definitly a process, daily changing.

Thanks Teresa for starting this thread!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  4:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh my.... this is such a thought provoking thread. How heart warming to hear of the love you you have for ones passed.

*I am going to be honest* ~ death scares me. It scares me all over. I've lost loved ones...close and not; and the whole process was just something that makes my heart super heavy and pained to even think about. *Now I'm going to be really honest* ~ I think all my serious fears of those around me dying and even myself dying is that I have very little faith/trust in the hereafter/religion/god..... I am not at total peace with myself because of this... I am working on it.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  7:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, thank you so much~~I should tell you all too, how very supportive my dh was, in whatever I wanted to do. My best friend, who was 55 at the time, wanted to get into firefighting, she asked if I wanted to take basic ff training with her, Pete was SO behind me, Lynn and I graduated the course together, and I went on to EMS training. We lived in snow country and our HO assoc. bought a 5 yd. dump truck, with a plow, I learned to drive and plow snow with the best of em, Pete again, was behind me all the way. I always made sure, when he came in from a trip, whether he'd been gone 5 days, or 3 wks., I had the house clean, the yard in tip top shape, after working 5 days a week myself. We could spend every second together, whether it be going to the car races, just going to dinner, or going for coffee, we enjoyed every minute together. We live just off of I-90 now, and we used to love to just sit in the garage on a warm evening and watch the traffic go by (we're in the trees, half hidden from the frwy.), when the trucks would run over the rumble strip, Pete always said in his dry sense of humor "stupid truck driver", not that he didn't do his share of that! So often in the evening, or early a.m., when I let the dog out, a truck will run over the rumble strip, I figure it's just Pete, lettin' me know he's out there....that, and a good loud jake brake will bring a tear, or a smile also!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  3:50:53 PM  Show Profile
bump

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  5:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Jake Brake

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  9:10:08 PM  Show Profile
We need to keep this going.....I need to keep this going!! Our life together was an adventure, and a wonderful one at that. When I met Pete, as I said, I had been divorced, no children. He had two sons, 8 & 10 at the time, they were with us every other wknd. as long as Pete was in off the road. I watched them grow up, mature, do stupid things, funny things, date, arrive at our home in central Oregon at 1:00a.m., just to spend time, become successful in their jobs, marry, and have children, how very awesome they are!! Pete always said "you're the first woman I know, who became a grandma before you were a mother"!! Our ten years in central Oregon were some of the best years, we grew together, learned together, spread our wings, together and enjoyed life. We moved back to western Wa. to be closer to my folks who were getting up in years, Pete was always so wonderful to them during their later years, and they came to love him as I did. We had a very rocky beginning with my folks, which I purposely neglected to mention before. I think the nicest compliment my Dad gave my guy was to say "If I'd every wanted to learn to drive a semi, I'd have wanted you as a teacher". I know Pete was beaming inside after that comment. When I met Pete, he came with a dog, a little black cocker spaniel named Smokie. Whenever he sent me flowers, (birthday, Mother's Day, Valentines, Easter, or a special occasion), he signed the card "Just Me and Smokie", I have every one of those cards to this day. Smokie was a truckin' dog, until we moved in together, one day Pete was heading out on a trip and said to Smokie "Come on Smoke, let's load up", Smokie just sat there and looked at him, and stayed home with me. Something else I left out of our beginning~~as I said my parents did not approve of him at all, when I mentioned that we wanted to be married in the future, my Dad, who was quite religious said "You and Pete need to live together for one year, it will never work". My Dad had never shocked me like that before, and never did again. We were together for 26 years. Sorry girls if I'm rambling, this is SO good for me. More next time.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  9:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Suzie I think reading your story is wonderful. I am looking forward to the next installment. It's important to keep the memories alive - it also helps us to heal our wounded hearts.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Rambling is totally allowed, I have learned here. This is a safe place, for which I am grateful.

My SIL to be is here this week. He is such a dear young man. He likes to garden, so I had plans for him in mine, even before he got here. Yesterday, he helped me build a bed for my raspberries. I would have done it myself, but have an arm that is healing from a break, but he love to help when he is here so... As we were putting it together, I thought of Dale. How many projects had we done over the years. Dale loved to build things. A couple years ago we built a greenhouse for me. Side by side, hammnering, nailing...it was a fun project. I was sorry I had to leave it behind when I moved. I have our door furniture he built for me, the cabinet the tv is housed in, he built out of old fencing from a neighbor. I have a shelf unit, he built out of that old fencing, that I painted with a green wash, so that the board still showed through, and then I add an old paned window to it. All my jars of rice, salt, beans and such live there. I have bookcases and a coffee table he built. He built hope chests for the girls when they turned 16. Everywhere I turn, his handiwork is there. Now to run my hand over the surface of these things, makes me smile. Maybe he is helping in the building of my little home in heaven. That really makes me smile.

St. Augustine

Edited by - Julia on Apr 18 2010 9:15:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  8:43:43 PM  Show Profile
More musings......boy it's funny what brings back long ago memories. As I worked in the yard today, I was remembering one time when I came home from work and here's my 6'4" guy, sitting on the ground cross legged working on a flowerbed for me, he had dug all the grass out, brought in some compost and had it just perfect. He says he created a monster that day, and he did. We both loved flowers, esp. roses, the neighbors got to the point where they joked, as soon as that truck left on a trip, Suzie headed to the nursery, which I did!! It was always so nice when he got in from a trip, to sit on the front steps and just enjoy what we had created.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  9:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Great memory Suzie.

I wear my cap around my waist.

Edited by - Julia on Apr 18 2010 9:16:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  06:37:35 AM  Show Profile
I can really understand the loss of a spouse; however, I have not been in that position. My loss is that of my father when I was just 16 months old. I often wonder what it would have been like to have my bio-father living all the years he could have lived. He was struck by lightning when he was but 27 years of age. My step-father was not a very nice person, so you can probably understand wishing for my father. He was a railroad man and I believe he would have been a loving father.

Thanks for listening.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  1:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, my love and admiration to you for beginning this exquisite post! What makes this so important is that it reflects a very natural part of life--something we will all touch and be touched by some day. For whatever reason we have been taught to be 'private' about death and dying and so we have come to believe that being private means being silent. Thank you for inviting so many people to share their voice and sing their beloved's praises!

My love, respect and awe to all those you have posted here sharing their story of grief and loss. I am taking in each and every one of your stories and threading them into the weave of my life. I am richly colored by you.

My love and respect to all those who have not yet experienced this very real life event but have the courage and are open enough to learn from those who have paved the wave.

I bow deeply to each and every one of you in this moment of pause.

Many of you know that I have just finished walking a very long journey with my 6 year old daughter through the shadow of leukemia. For now we are basking in the light and it is beautiful!

There were many times I feared her dying. Death was around me often in the many faces of children I had come to know and love. In the course of 2 years I have known 9 children who have died, 3 of whom died of Aria's kind of leukemia. It is real. It is heart-wrenching and we are left forever changed.

But there is something I have learned and that is that it really doesn't matter at what age someone dies. Oh I know, many of you think it does. It seems particularly harsh when a child dies--their lives cut so short. On top of grieving them, we grieve an entire life that could have been and isn't. I hear repeatedly of how unfair it is, how unjust. I don't disagree per se but there's something worth examining in those words. Is it more unfair that a child dies versus the wonderful man of 27 struck by lightening leaving his 16 month old daughter forever wondering about him? I don't know. I think we must all come to our conclusions about it.

I think of a dear friend whose mother died 2 years ago and she grieves to this day for her. Her mother lived a beautiful long life--she was in her 80's when she died peacefully in her sleep but my friend misses her terribly. She talked to her every single day for years and years. There were still so many things her mother could have taught her and now can't. It is such an enormous loss.

There are 2 things that have sustained me when I had to face my fear of Aria dying. I remember one time in the hospital and she was so sick. Her fever was raging and they had at least 5 different antibiotics on board to keep whatever infection was taking over from doing a number on her internal organs. I remember trying to imagine what it would be like never having another photograph of her to mark her life as she got older. It was a devastating thing to consider but I felt I had to. So I took photos of her in the hospital, sick as she was so I could have her with me forever.

I thought about something the Dalai Lama said, "It is a tragedy when a child dies. But they are masters for teaching us about impermanence." My mother thought that a cold thing to say but I loved it. Children die every day for all manner of reasons. Nothing is permanent. Everything can change in a moment. I found this very helpful to guide me back to cherishing the moment with Aria. It is all I have and I savor it.

I think often of a friend who had 2 children die from cancer. We were talking about people using the language, "Fighting the good fight. You must win your battle with cancer. So and so lost their battle with cancer. and so forth." These kinds of sentiments rub me like a cheese grater. My friend said to me, "My children did not lose their battles with cancer. They are not losers! They died from cancer but they lived their full lives."

I have carried that wisdom with me for months and shall do so for the rest of my life. "They lived their full lives." And so it is with children who die. They teach us that there is no fair. They teach us that we have no control. They teach us that nothing is permanent. They show us how to live a full life in a single moment.

I am indebted to all those who have died, who continue to show us the way. It is a difficult path but together with voices singing and rejoicing we, too, shall live a full life in all our moments.

In the light,
~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  2:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Good words Julia. My husband's disiplined, constant, loving life taught me much, as well, and maybe even more so, his courage, strength and dignity, he had as he was dying. When we found out the cancer was back, we had no options of treatment, the cancer was full blown in his liver. The time was short, but oh so precious. We still laughed, and played, and yes, cried our way through those few short months. We also continued to make memories as a family, those mental pictures to carry with us always. His life and his death have changed me, it has made me stronger, allowing me to carry on. God's grace and mercy have been amazing to see in this journey.

It was a tough start of a day for me. I had one of those broadsided moments, the unexpected, that took me aback. As I walked into the living room first thing this morning, I was overwhelmed with Dale's scent. My stomache went cold. It made me cry at first. I even went to his chair, and gently pressed my face to it to see if the scent came from there. Nope. It was just there. I don't want to sound weird or spooky about it, I'm not one to believe in ghosts, but the scent was there none the less. Don't know what the moral of my story is, just wanted to share. It has been 16 months since Dale's passing, and I still miss him so much. A friend who lost her husband many years ago, said, 'it doesn't get easier, just different.' Love ones will never pass from our hearts, what we learn from them does stay with us forever, and I guess even their scent.

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  3:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Julia, everything you said is so true.I know when my Karin died, it just hit me like a sack of bricks, nothing is permenant. Nothing and no one is forever. If she could die 2 weeks before her 16th birthday, anyone anyhere can die at anytime. So oddly enough I stopped being scared about it. I no longer even think of death in the same way. It taught me to lighten up about life. To live every second to the fullest and to fill my life with as much joy, happiness and love and beauty as I possibly could. That is how she lived her life. I have said many times that is the best way to honor her, is too live life with the same attitude and enthusiasim and love that she had.Many people have said to me that Karin had more love and real life in her almost 16 years than some people who live to be 80.I believe that. It still rips my heart out that I lost her. But, oh my God, myself and everyone else who loved her are so bleesed to have had her in our lives. So all of us here share a bond,we belong to a club I always say that no one ever wants to join. But, we have had the gift of these truly wonderous people we have loved and have loved us. I don't think one among us would every change having them in our lives.

Hugs and Love
MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  5:40:43 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, one of these days I am coming to New York and I'm going to stay at YOUR house! You are heaven sent. Karin.... I have her in my mind's eye.. A full life in 16 years is a difficult one to reconcile but reconcile it we must. We should all be blessed with your grace. Honest to God!

Julia...your darling Dale letting you know he's still around. I believe it whole-heartedly. Ghosts? Shmosts! Who cares how that's defined..bottom line is that we don't know..none of us. Oh we may have strong beliefs..they may even be so strong that they become convictions taking on the weight of fact but that's just a lot of layers! When you get to the core, no one knows. Is Dale around still around? Why wouldn't he be! I love that idea. I feel so comforted by it and at the same time what an ache...He's there but not here!! UGH!!! Still, the fact that you caught his whiff! What a tearful joy!

You all give me such strength!

My love and light, ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  6:42:56 PM  Show Profile
I know many would think it's nuts but I know my husband still comes and visits me. Some days when I walk into the shop building where we had our cabinet shop, the lights will blink on and off and I know it's just him saying hello. Sometimes It's the feeling of someone just brushing up against my hair. It's a comfort to know that the love is still there even though we may be in different dimensions. It is comforting and yet conflicting at the same time because....well you know the because.

My husband the musician was the kind of person that would search for elusive music. He could hear a rock band practicing somewhere in the distance and he would take the kids throw them into his VW Van and start driving up and down the country roads until he would discover who was playing. He would ask if he could come and jam with them and then he'd come home swoop up his guitar, amp and me and off we would go to make music with strangers. We made a lot of friends playing music with folks who's tunes had wafted in on the breeze. That's what I miss the most - knowing someone so spontaneous that everything could be put on hold to search for elusive music.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, MJ! I can't even imagine the loss of one of my girls. It was hard enough to lose my husband, but for one of my girls to go before me?

I love what you said, "I have said many times that is the best way to honor her, is too live life with the same attitude and enthusiasim and love that she had." And again, "we have had the gift of these truly wonderous people we have loved and have loved us. I don't think one among us would every change having them in our lives." Amen, Sister!!!

Sheri, I love the blinking lights that greet you. That is so cool! After Dale passed away I was standing at my bedroom window, which I often did as it had a great view, and was looking at the sunset. I was crying and it was if I heard him say, "Everything will be alright. Trust the Lord, pray and read your bible, and it will all be okay." Later, I was reading old cards and letters, Dale had written to me over the years. I came across a card that had a picture of a sunset on it. Inside he wrote, 'May the unmistakeable beauty of each sunset remind you of my unmistakeable love for you." I was floored with how both fit so well. Now when I see a sunset, I smile, sometimes cry, tell Dale I love him and say out loud, 'It will all be okay, because you love me.' I love those moments.

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  8:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Perfect words, Julia, as we "laughed, cried and played" in the seven months we had after Pete was diagnosed with lung cancer, and a "few sparkles" in the brain. My dh taught me oh so many things also, he was not the disciplined type, I was, he was SO spontaneous, I was not, and now wish I had been more so. He always treated me like a queen, I'd never been treated like that before (other than by my dad), Pete always joked that my dad spoiled me, and he (Pete), took over where dad left off, and that he did. My boss gave me a wonderful gift when Pete was diagnosed, he knew we had dr. apts. every week, and had been through this very same thing with his wife a year before, and lost her. The gift was, "why don't you work 4 days a week, instead of 5", spend every minute you can, together, do things, go places, get away if you can, just spend this time together. After 10 radiation treatments on his brain, and 3 chemo trmts., the doctors said there was nothing more that could be done for him. It was then I realized what a gift my boss had given me. Fortunately, I had FMLA availabe to me, so of course I took it and we had about 6 weeks of laughing, crying, and playing. I then became his caregiver, it wasn't until I went back to work in January, that I was able to thank my boss for that wonderful gift, he told me "the only reason I told you that was because I didn't do that, and I wish I had have done it." That just tore my heart out for him.
I know Pete's still around, just from some of the previous things I've talked about, but his youngest son and his wife were here this past wknd., my daughter in law said she smelled smoke in the house the other day, and ran through looking for where it was coming from, then realized it smelled like cigarette smoke, nobody in their house smokes, it was then she knew, Pete was visiting them, making sure thngs were o.k. I know he's close to me also, lately, I've had the feeling someone is looking over my shoulder, I have alot of big decisions coming up, and I know, that Pete is there, guiding me in the right direction, it's a good feeling. Thanks for letting me go on and on tonight, for some reason, it's been a tough night.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  7:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Its been 2 1/2 yrs since my sweet man passed, and there isn't a day go by that something doesn't remind me of him, it can be something as simple as a bird on the fence, or looking at the spot on the barn eaves that got missed when we painted last, or one of the silly dogs dragging a chunk of wood around by the rope that he attached to it. Sometimes I just laugh and laugh, other times I get alittle misty eyed, and then there are the times I sit down and cry for an hour. There are days that I know i have felt his hand on my shoulder, or his touch to my face, and his smell, sometimes its over whelming. I would not give these things up for anything, and if I hear his voice, and I tell someone in conversation, and they look at me like I'm nuts, well then, they've never lost "TRUE LOVE".

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:33:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness!!!!! This is the best post I've come across in a long time. Wow, I am crying like a big baby. I believe all the threads I've read, just on the first page, have brought on cleansing tears.
Mary Jane: Your daughter Karin sounds wonderful, tell us more about her.
Kris: I'm so sorry you did not get a chance to see your dad before he passed.
Vicki: Your story was just beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.
Carla: Oh my!!!!! You got me crying like a big, big baby!! Your words about your mom just touched my heart. I can read the love and respect you had and still have for her. She sounds like a great woman.
I'll read the other pages soon.
I love, love, love this thread. Thanks, Teresa.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  9:13:07 PM  Show Profile
I love this thread. Thanks again to Teresa for giving us this topic to share with all.
Sheri: I have a jacket of my dad's in a ziplock bag, and I take it out every once and a while, just to smell it. Same thing as you do. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Suzie: I sure enjoyed reading about how you and your hubby met each other. I had to laugh about the "all wrong reasons for your daughter", about marrying your man. I know all about that, too. I was 22 when I married my husband, he was 37. LOL.
Julia: Your Dale sounds like one true good man. I am so happy you shared time with him.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  11:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Marley it's funny but I have my Dad's old work jacket hanging on a nail in my workroom. It is this old jacket with a tear in the lining where he used to stash his pack of smokes when he'd go out to do chores. After he died and they cleaned out his little workshop, they missed the jacket on the hook behind the door. I'm so glad they did as it's one of my most treasured possessions. One day, I took it down to shake the dust out and an old pack of Kools fell out of the lining. I had to smile and I put it back in it's hiding place just in case he should come looking.....

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  06:40:51 AM  Show Profile
That's really neet Sheri!
I'll bet that would make an interesting picture. The jacket on the hook with the cigs peeking out.
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Stories from us widow women..... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page